Video shows 15-year-old boy holding a toy gun being shot by Ohio cop

… who was back on duty after earlier being fired

https://nypost.com/2024/04/10/us-news/video-shows-cop-shooting-15-year-old-with-toy-gun/

Eerily similar to the Tamir Rice case.

But why is it always Ohio? I recall so many police involved shootings there with black people.

https://nypost.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2024/04/2021-several-issues-rehired-agreement-79814293.jpg?resize=1064,709&quality=75&strip=all

Would you like to volunteer to be the person who goes up to someone who has been waving and pointing a gun to see if it is real or fake? I’m sure they would be happy to let you do it. You’ll just need to line up someone to take your job after you’re no longer able to do it.

Looked real real , stupid kids.
Here in Ga. 14yesr old stole a car and had a A-15 pistol he’s lucky to be alive.
https://www.fox5atlanta.com/video/1432169

That boy’s lucky to be alive. Pretty quick on the trigger but you can’t see what led up to the shooting.

There are toy guns and then there are imitation semiautomatic weapons. This one, and in context of who/how/where it’s being carried, would give anyone reason to believe it’s a semiautomatic weapon.

That boy’s lucky to be alive. **Pretty quick on the trigger but you can’t see what led up to the shooting. **

There are toy guns and then there are imitation semiautomatic weapons. This one, and in context of who/how/where it’s being carried, would give anyone reason to believe it’s a semiautomatic weapon.

I disagree - the video shows him pull up asking to see his hands. So no interaction before that. And it almost seems like it might have been accidental discharge because the cop seems kind of surprised that he shot.

It also seems telling that the kid seems more composed than the cop during the whole thing, even after he was shot.

Here in Ga. 14yesr old stole a car and had a A-15 pistol he’s lucky to be alive.

Heard of the ‘senior assassin’ game? Basically, HS seniors dress up as armed thugs and ‘tag’ unsuspecting citizens with water guns - obviously, the more realistic the toy guns look, the better the prank…until a CCP holder who’s carrying decides to intervene. What could possibly go wrong?

Heard of the ‘senior assassin’ game? Basically, HS seniors dress up as armed thugs and ‘tag’ unsuspecting citizens with water guns - obviously, the more realistic the toy guns look, the better the prank…until a CCP holder who’s carrying decides to intervene. What could possibly go wrong?

I was riding around Raleigh last summer near one of the few local brewery/food truck spots. I suddenly see a gang of weirdo douche bros all on those one wheel things riding all over the greenway, thru traffic on the street, then into random business parking lots…all while playing tactical laser tag. Their dress and weapons had zero indication to it being fake vs. real. I had the same thought, these morons are going to fuck around and find out when someone calls the cops and the cops show up and don’t know it’s real and the guy turns awkward toward the cop and they blow his ass away.

I wouldn’t want the job these days. I had a cap gun as a kid. This day and age, zero chance I’d ever allow a kid have one.

I had the same thought, these morons are going to fuck around and find out when someone calls the cops and the cops show up and don’t know it’s real and the guy turns awkward toward the cop and they blow his ass away.

More of a criticism of our “exceptional” society than it is young people doing young people things.

Would you like to volunteer to be the person who goes up to someone who has been waving and pointing a gun to see if it is real or fake? I’m sure they would be happy to let you do it. You’ll just need to line up someone to take your job after you’re no longer able to do it.

Please re-read my post. Then look and see if I said anything about the case, because I didn’t.

And then you can apologize for assuming I said the police were at fault.

“Please, officer, I’m a good kid. Bro, I get A’s in school. I play football. I just wanted to be safe. My cousin just died,” Tavion says, sobbing, explaining that he had come from his cousin’s funeral.

Why would a 15 yo bring a toy gun to his cousin’s funeral and just walk down the street with it out. I’m not suggesting that this kid deserved anything, but the conditions were set up for disaster.

I did dumb shit when I was that age. Poor kid. Could have been a lot worse.

I don’t see a story here. Kid does something stupid. Cop reacts to someone with a gun in his hand.

I agree with what someone said above. It was likely a misfire. Cops don’t typically aim for the wrist when they shoot.

*on a totally unrelated note, we should arm school teachers! *

That’s not how the game is supposed to be played. Big clarification the game isn’t so the HS kids can dress up and get “unsuspecting citizens.” Even the link you provided makes that distinction. I just don’t want there to be misinformation about it: because there already exists very real and dangerous games where the public is targeted for real by gangs and “thugs.”

The game is played where the students sign up individually or in pairs and are assigned other students that they have to “get.”

This is all followed with specific rules including but not limited to using anything that cannot be mistaken for a real weapon, not on school grounds, not at someone’s place of work, and not indoors.

My athletes have been playing this for years. It’s a lot of fun for them as long as they play by the rules.

Cops don’t typically aim for the wrist when they shoot.

Cops - or anyone else - very often don’t hit what they’re aiming at when under stress. They aim for center mass and hope for the best…hitting the wrist when aiming for the chest would not at all be unexpected.

It was likely a misfire.

I think you mean accidental discharge - the term jpo used. A misfire is when the gun doesn’t fire when you want it to. Though it could conceivably have been a very short duration “hangfire” when there’s an unexpected delay between hammer fall and cartridge ignition. But I believe hangfires are pretty rare with modern cop-grade guns and ammunition. Far more frequent in the black powder days. That wouldn’t be my first assumption given the odds.

Important distinction here because a misfire/hangfire is a type of equipment malfunction. An accidental discharge is most often a person malfunction - though can be an equipment malfunction - cue lame explanations (aka almost certainly lies) by Alec Baldwin that the gun fired without him pulling the trigger.

Though I don’t think it’s really an accidental discharge in this case. Looked like more of a somewhat panicy intentional discharge.

Sorry - every gun-related thread needs the pedantic gun-splaining gun bro. I’m taking up the mantle…

This is all followed with specific rules including but not limited to using anything that cannot be mistaken for a real weapon, not on school grounds, not at someone’s place of work, and not indoors.

My athletes have been playing this for years. It’s a lot of fun for them as long as they play by the rules.

Call me old and crotchety, but even with those rules, if “unsuspecting random people” are still involved…if some random teen nails me in the face with a water pistol real good chance I don’t react well…my mood depending.

Closet I ever came to punching a kid in the face was when I was doing a running race, and the kids volunteering at an aid station decided to hand me a cup of hard liqour instead of water. I fucking lost it. Granted I was already not having a great race.

Call me old and crotchety, but even with those rules, if “unsuspecting random people” are still involved…if some random teen nails me in the face with a water pistol real good chance I don’t react well…my mood depending.

Closet I ever came to punching a kid in the face was when I was doing a running race, and the kids volunteering at an aid station decided to hand me a cup of hard liqour instead of water. I fucking lost it. Granted I was already not having a great race.

I’ve got no issue there especially if they’re allowed to get random people though for the years this has been around it always seems to be the same idea: assassins is for HS kids to get other HS kids in their school, not anyone else.

I wholeheartedly believe more youth need to be punched in the face with the “pranks” they pull nowadays. “Oh nooo it’s the consequences of my actions.”

That’s not how the game is supposed to be played. Big clarification the game isn’t so the HS kids can dress up and get “unsuspecting citizens.” Even the link you provided makes that distinction. I just don’t want there to be misinformation about it: because there already exists very real and dangerous games where the public is targeted for real by gangs and “thugs.”

The game is played where the students sign up individually or in pairs and are assigned other students that they have to “get.”

Appreciate the clarification on the rules of this particular game, however those are not at all spelled out in the linked article.

This is all the article says about these rules:

The “senior assassins” game has gone viral across the country on social media. In the game, players are assigned a random target they must “tag” with a water gun.
At times, rules specify teams can’t play the game during school hours or on school property, Arlington Heights police said.

So…who assigns these random targets (doesn’t say anything about the targets also being students), and at which times are these rules in force?
The article also describes a number of incidents where police were called to investigate (possibly) armed suspects who, it turns out were playing this ‘game’. Sure, it may be fun for them as long as they understand and play by the rules, but it doesn’t take much to imagine any one of these incidents going bad, particularly given the following from the article:

On Tuesday, a group of seniors wearing ski masks went into a restaurant with water guns that looked like firearms, according to the Gurnee Police Department

This ‘game’ seems ill-advised to say the least.

Appreciate the clarification on the rules of this particular game, however those are not at all spelled out in the linked article.

The “senior assassins” game has gone viral across the country on social media. In the game, players are assigned a random target they must “tag” with a water gun.
At times, rules specify teams can’t play the game during school hours or on school property, Arlington Heights police said.

So…who assigns these random targets (doesn’t say anything about the targets also being students), and at which times are these rules in force?
The article also describes a number of incidents where police were called to investigate (possibly) armed suspects who, it turns out were playing this ‘game’. Sure, it may be fun for them as long as they understand and play by the rules, but it doesn’t take much to imagine any one of these incidents going bad, particularly given the following from the article:

On Tuesday, a group of seniors wearing ski masks went into a restaurant with water guns that looked like firearms, according to the Gurnee Police Department

This ‘game’ seems ill-advised to say the least.

The “randomness” of then targets has more to do with (to my knowledge) picking a name or assigning a person based on who signed up to play. It’s more akin to picking a name out of a hat of all the people who are participating rather than “you are assigned old man Marley on pudding street, and you get Mrs Johnson who walks her cat, and you get the homeless guy who sleeps on the bench outside CVS.”

Let’s say 100 kids sign up then one person (usually a student) who is in charge of the game that year randomly assigns those names to someone else as their target. You know who your target is but you don’t know who has you.

And usually it’s reserved for seniors. Everyone pays in $20 and the winner (last person or team standing) takes all. Something like that.

Prior to that line the article says this:

The high school seniors were targeting other students who were eating and tried to spray them with water.