Van Avermaet finishes IM 70.3 Belgium in 4.07.17

Not bad for a retired cyclist! Third in his age group only 45 secs behind nr 1. Earned his spot for WC 70.3 Marbella.
Talent always floats to the surface I guess… Too bad I don’t have any!

Always good to see athletes come from top level of another sport and not be dominant, even in an AG race. Shows the level of work required.
295th on the swim
7th on the bike
13th on the run
Wonder if this is a stepping stone to an IM down the line.

Yes, although the IM app says he had 302nd split on the swimm, first bike split (which is something I also read on insta) and 41st on the run, all overall. Where did you read the splits you mentioned?

I must have been looking at race position at the end of each leg then, as opposed to fastest split of the day. I took it from here:

Thanks for sharing and as you said, it shows the level of performance even of top age groupers when a person with an olympic gold medalist in the road race while competitive is just off the top age groupers in the run and whie solid in the swim, that time is a back of FOP in an older age group. Anyway cool that he will be in Spain for 70.3 worlds.

1 Like

I used to live outside Antibes. There was a climb nearby and I knew one Sunday there was a local Tri, so I went out for a ride - roads weren’t closed. I ensured I hit climb as leaders would be behind me. Sure enough #1 came through swiftly followed by Laurent jalabert who passed me like I was stationary. A retired cyclist is still a savage on the bike

2 Likes

Crazy that a 4:07 barely gets you on the 35-39 podium.

The fast people in 35-39 are going 3:30 to 3:40.

They are racing pro. That’s what really good 35-39 year olds do, not 4:07. Everyone forgets that the real sub 40 year old podiums are happening in the pro division. Even 40-44 actual podiums are in the pro division. Above 45, no more pros, the top results are in the age groups!!!

1 Like

Err…I suspect you are trolling a per usual… but where are you getting those numbers? Can you name a single AG 35-39 year old that goes 3:30? The “world record” is just under 3:30 by Blu (?), so not sure why you love to spread misinformation in these forums.

ETA: a guy around my age with a full time job turned pro when he was 40, and he was going ~4 hours. He placed 4th or 5th in the M35-39 70.3 worlds and no one was going much faster than 4 or just under.

1 Like

unless he was talking about Ironman 70.3 Monterrey 2022 where they went sub 2.30 :rofl:

https://www.coachcox.co.uk/imstats/him/athlete/top/

may be less trolling that just making stuff up…

1 Like

I think you misread or misunderstood. The top people in the sub 40 age bracket are racing pro and going 3:30 to 3:40 at races. They are not in the age group division. The fastest people in that bracket are all racing pro so Greg’s 4;07 is slow compared to the top humans in the age bracket (even though he is an Olympic Gold medalist in cycling). It’s still fast compared to the majority of people in the age group divisions, its just not that fast compared to the top humans in his age.

And it was in response to Titanflexr saying that a 4;07 barely gets a M35-39 age group podium which is why I was saying that 4;07 is not that fast for people that old…its just that the fast people that old are in pro not age group.

I don’t think it was neccessary to accuse someone of trolling (it has no positive connotation and implies a negative slant…remember what the people running this place are saying, let’s be nice to each other). As you did not read clearly there no need to accuse people of spreading misinformation.

Your response is indeed misleading and confusing. The OP was talking about a retired pro cyclist racing in an amateur category. Not sure why you think it’s relevant to compare him to active professionals. So in my view, you are trolling.

OK it is a free world in terms of who I want to compare the 2016 Road cycling gold medalist to when he does a triathlon, whether it is someone in 75-79, 15-19, or 35-39 or someone in the pro field.

It is OK if you think he should only be compared to those in the age group 35-39 just like I think it is OK to compare him to pro triathletes who happen to be 35-39 years old.

Because you disagree with a person’s choice of comparison does not give you the right to accuse anyone of trolling because you’re transposing intent that may not be there.

I suggest we all follow the forum rules. Just be nice to others.

No need to run around the forum and call others trolls or call them anything. Agree or disagree on a topic, but adding labels or adjectives towards posters is not productive. You can say my concept or position is something that does not make sense to you, and that’s fine.

I am actually reasonably impressed by Greg’s swim and the run is not bad either. Neither is pro fast, but its not like he has spent years refining either while pro bike racing full time.

1 Like