USAT Nationals Atlantic City 2024

Apologies if there is a current thread on this - I did look. Last race of the season for me, and hoping to end a pretty crappy season with a solid race.

I don’t see elevation profiles for the bike and run on the USAT website, but assuming pretty darn flat.

I also looked on Best Bike Split, but there doesn’t seem to be a course for the race. Has anyone created one they wouldn’t mind sharing?

The bike is basically the Atlantic City Triathlon bike course with a little extra out and back to make up the mileage.

The AC tri is typically 22 miles. And yes, pretty much flat minus exit ramps…

Not sure if BBS has that course…

I noticed the water temp was posted as 77 degrees this week (76 is cutoff for wetsuits). Also why is the run finish line 2 miles away from transition? Sounds like a pain in the ass for logistics and spectators who want to see more of the race.

I grew up in Atlantic City and my grandfather named Bader Field in honor of his friend the mayor of the town in the 1920’s.

There are no hills, just some small overpasses on the bike route. BUT, wind could be a major factor, so being aero and having a good power plan riding into and against the wind will be key. Also note there is no shade on the course as most of the bike course is across the marshes and the run is mostly on the Boardwalk (at least the wood is a nice running surface).

The organizers will likely have shuttle busses from the finish near the Boardwalk back to Bader Field. It will be a 10 min ride.

Post race eats. My personal favorites. High end: Steve and Cookies downbeach in Margate, Knife and Fork Inn, Dock’s Oyster House, and Cafe 2825 in AC. Good low end: White House Subs in Atlantic City or Dino’s Subs in Margate.

1 Like

lol Cafe 2825.

If you can get in there.

As far as I know they’re still on a “call us three weeks out and if we choose you we will call you back” reservation system.

I noticed the water temp was posted as 77 degrees this week (76 is cutoff for wetsuits). Also why is the run finish line 2 miles away from transition? Sounds like a pain in the ass for logistics and spectators who want to see more of the race.

Where did you see the water temp posted at 77?

As for transition/finish line I’m guessing USAT wants the visual of the Boardwalk/Atlantic Ocean as a backdrop rather than the parking lot and asphalt of Bader. There’s gonna be a shuttle running but logistics will be interesting for sure.

Anyone know how they’re doing the swim start? I’m guessing it’s a mass start in the water versus 4 at a time TT start from the ramp.

Ultimately, USAT is just co-opting the Atlantic City Triathlon course with a couple extra miles of bike.
It has almost always ended on the boardwalk in front of boardwalk hall. As did IMAC 70.3

I did do it once or twice where you actually did run back down to Bader for the finish line, and yeah, it’s a little better atmosphere on the boardwalk.

Albany Ave becomes a shitshow with traffic trying to get through, so the quickest way to open that back up is once you are up on the boardwalk, you don’t come back.

Based on the course map, yeah, it looks like the are suggesting an in water mass start each wave…

It’s actually not a terrible walk from the finish line back to Bader…unless you are in a hurry. They will have shuttles. I’ve done it both ways…

High end: Steve and Cookies downbeach in Margate, Knife and Fork Inn, Dock’s Oyster House, and Cafe 2825 in AC. Good low end: White House Subs in Atlantic City or Dino’s Subs in Margate.
lol Cafe 2825.

If you can get in there.

As far as I know they’re still on a “call us three weeks out and if we choose you we will call you back” reservation system.

I would avoid Angelo’s - I know it’s an AC landmark, but it’s batting .500 for us

If you do get a good meal, there’s so much food on your plate that you’ll be carrying it around for days

Ducktown Tavern is also a pretty good bet. They hosted the finish festivities for RAAM and did a fantastic job with everything.

Ducktown Tavern is also a pretty good bet. They hosted the finish festivities for RAAM and did a fantastic job with everything.

Ducktown is a great place for a drink post race. You can hear all the locals bitching about the road closures.

My Mom also adds Sofia in Margate (Greek/Mediterranean) and Setaara on Arctic Ave in AC (French and Afghan).

I agree that Angelos (and Tony’s Baltimore Grill) were great years ago but are now basically riding on their reputations.

Luckily for everyone else, she will only complain about the road closures to me and her Mahjong friends!

1 Like

I agree that Angelo’s (and Tony’s Baltimore Grill) were great years ago but are now basically riding on their reputations.

You can’t help but admire the decor

“We call it ‘Mobster Revival’ Classically-inspired Mafia flair, with hints of Goodfellas and pre-Vegas Sinatra”

https://www.usatriathlon.org/get-racing/2024-nationals
Under the “swim and water temperature” tab. It says 77.2 degrees on August 4th, which I guess isn’t very recent.

Lakes Bay should be pretty close in temp to Beach Thorofare:

https://tides4fishing.com/us/new-jersey/pleasantville-lakes-bay/forecast/water-temperature

D’Wife & I were on our way home from OC and as we passed Joe’s Maplewood in Hammonton (equally trashy; Mafia in the woods, let’s say) she reminded me “How about those meatballs at Michael Symon’s place?!!!”

Angeline in The Borgata
https://borgata.mgmresorts.com/en/restaurants/angeline-by-michael-symon.html

It’s Iron Chef $$$, but it’s amazing

I did the AC race a couple weeks ago and the course for USNats is essentially the same. They only had shuttle buses from the finish back to the parking lot. Spectators had to walk from transition to get to finish line. The USAT info states its a 10 minute walk from transition to finish but that must be a typo becuase its a good 20-25 minute hike. A shuttle bus might take 10-12 minutes. Just an fyi.

Under the “swim and water temperature” tab. It says 77.2 degrees on August 4th, which I guess isn’t very recent.

Lakes Bay should be pretty close in temp to Beach Thorofare:

https://tides4fishing.com/us/new-jersey/pleasantville-lakes-bay/forecast/water-temperature

Thanks 🙏🏻

I’d be curious to find out what time of day that measurement was taken. From what I understand the back bay is pretty shallow so depending where the tide was and the time of day it wouldn’t take much to heat that body of water up.

From some of the photos of the top finishers at the AC Tri the day before it looks like most were wearing wetsuits so I’m gonna assume that it was cool enough to be wetsuit legal.

It is pretty late in the year by now but yeah, it could be pretty variable. Let me see if one of my friends with a dock has something online with some granularity.

It certainly won’t be colder than the ocean: https://tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/physocean.html?id=8534720