USAT Membership Tier Changes

USAT announced updates to their membership yesterday (Jan 9th) and there was a Race Director Town Hall today (Jan 10). I missed both. What’s the news?!?

Primarily, the one-day license fee structure will change, making it cheaper for shorter distance races, more expensive for long-course events.

Primarily, the one-day license fee structure will change, making it cheaper for shorter distance races, more expensive for long-course events.

details! this sounds great! (hopefully they still prorate one day license towards yearly)

Literally all I’ve gotten thus far.

I think the public reveal is slated for the 16th. RDs may have the full knowledge of license/membership changes, but I’m just going to wait a few days.

As stated from what I can gather, one day licensing is going to be tiered with distances.

Makes sense. Even from a liability side, the I assume the longer distance races bring more deaths.

Looks like general membership is going up in general and there’s a tiered approach for members as well… tomorrow is the formal update but ran across this link on runsignup

https://info.runsignup.com/2023/12/22/usa-triathlon-membership-changes

https://info.runsignup.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/3/2024/01/Screenshot-2024-01-12-at-8.48.41 AM-1024x571.png

The devil will be in the details, but I can’t ever see a reason paying more than the silver rate…which I’d be annoyed by at the increase of. Yet have to keep the silver membership at a minimum as a USAT certified coach.

Sprint should be 10 or under. No big loss for long course people. Ideally 5/10/20/40 (Sprint/oly/70.3/140.6)should be prices .the sport needs a regrowth from bottom up.

I renewed my daughters (19year old) membership yesterday and it only gave 2 options with the first being $36 for “Young Adult Membership” - the other was for an Elite membership, which I didn’t click on.
The app said they were the 2 membership options that she was eligible for.

Looks like general membership is going up in general and there’s a tiered approach for members as well… tomorrow is the formal update but ran across this link on runsignup

https://info.runsignup.com/...n-membership-changes

https://info.runsignup.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/3/2024/01/Screenshot-2024-01-12-at-8.48.41 AM-1024x571.png

The tiering seems like just a way to obfuscate what amounts to a fairly hefty increase.

So on one hand, I’m happy that a portion of my fees can pay to help pros and develop exceptional youth into into elite athletes.

On the other hand, it’s frustrating that the elite, high end focus of USAT (and other federations) is a very different sport than the ones most of the funding amateur athletes are participating in.

Ironman gets a lot of flak for not supporting the pros. What does Sam Long get from USAT? A licensing program that he still pays IM put of pocket to join their pro ranks with? I’d rather the top US long course pros got the funding and attention of USAT than the draft legal Olympic ones.

Most of the world doesn’t care about triathlon and especially not the Olympics version of it. More of the world knows Ironman at least.

People talk about Ironman being big bad corporation, and ignore the politicking and presumably self dealing going on behind the scenes at the Olmypic level. I’d rather see a generation of excellent long course pros developed by USAT than chasing the back of the pack of the Olympics. Yes, we got Knibb, but it’s clear her family influence has driven her to long course. What if USAT was actually encouraging and developing long course athletes? Why feed the Olympic machine instead of the Ironman one?

I renewed for three years yesterday before the hike… I only really care about the silver stuff. Looks like Silver I’m missing out of the printed magazine, some freebies I don’t want/need and whatever priority customer service is. Glad I checked off my TeamUSA box already… Platinum membership?

https://www.usatriathlon.org/membership

Because the entirety of their mandate, as a USOC-affiliated body, is to produce athletes capable of qualifying for the Olympics.

That’s their reason for existence.

Everything else is secondary.

So on one hand, I’m happy that a portion of my fees can pay to help pros and develop exceptional youth into into elite athletes.

On the other hand, it’s frustrating that the elite, high end focus of USAT (and other federations) is a very different sport than the ones most of the funding amateur athletes are participating in.

Ironman gets a lot of flak for not supporting the pros. What does Sam Long get from USAT? A licensing program that he still pays IM put of pocket to join their pro ranks with? I’d rather the top US long course pros got the funding and attention of USAT than the draft legal Olympic ones.

Most of the world doesn’t care about triathlon and especially not the Olympics version of it. More of the world knows Ironman at least.

People talk about Ironman being big bad corporation, and ignore the politicking and presumably self dealing going on behind the scenes at the Olmypic level. I’d rather see a generation of excellent long course pros developed by USAT than chasing the back of the pack of the Olympics. Yes, we got Knibb, but it’s clear her family influence has driven her to long course. What if USAT was actually encouraging and developing long course athletes? Why feed the Olympic machine instead of the Ironman one?

Lurker likely another american long distance person who cant hang fast with short distance. past 2 male kona champs come from this, blowing away the dedicated long course people. The main problem with olympic distance in USA is ITU doesnt make stops here anymore, and also charges people to view the races. So most americans dont know about it

The USAT Pro license is $50/year, that’s practically free. In a sense he gets an accreditation from a National Governing Body of Sport to complete either for the country or at the highest level. Without true pro teams in triathlon the distinction of pro/amateur falls to either the Governing bodies or the races themselves. Idk if Ironman or ITU would be better at drawing the line between pro and amateur, but I do know that if they had to do that extra work the cost would get passed on to someone.

Replying to the thread

For platinum, it says Ability to Race Internationally with Team USA

So does that mean if you get a bronze or silver and you qualify for world championships you’re not allowed to go because you didn’t pay for the platinum?

Or maybe you don’t even need to qualify you just buy a platinum level membership and you get to compete at worlds?

I can’t ever recall getting anything of value from membership. Frustrating the cost of triathlon continues to go up. Two thumbs down.

Replying to the thread

For platinum, it says Ability to Race Internationally with Team USA

So does that mean if you get a bronze or silver and you qualify for world championships you’re not allowed to go because you didn’t pay for the platinum?

Or maybe you don’t even need to qualify you just buy a platinum level membership and you get to compete at worlds?

There is a USAT Town Hall for Team USA about membership changes Wednesday, 17 Jan. I’m trying to be open minded and listen carefully at the Town Hall. BUT…If Platinum is a prerequisite for Team USA, this is just pure extorsion. 2024 Multisport Worlds are in AUS and USAT has been encouraging Team USA to sign up early for lodging, get your air tickets pay your spot fees. So now that we are all committed to travel expenses + overpriced race suit + overpriced parade kit…mostly unrecoverable if you don’t go…ah, an enormous increase to have a new, required Platinum USAT license. A special offer just for those athletes who are already (over)paying for the opportunity to advertise Team USA. But I’ll listen…

My guess is you pay the extra for the platinum and they’ll give you $300 towards your stuff for worlds