Upgrading a Gen1 Trek Speed Concept - Ideas on aerobar extensions and electronic groupset?

I have a first-generation Speed Concept SC9 back from 2012. The frame fits me (and its color-matched to our team), the brakes work fine, and I have wheels for various course scenarios, so I’m not sold on ditching it to buy a new bike altogether and then another arm and a leg for new wheelsets. At the same time, mechanical shifting and the original ski pole extensions are more than ripe to be replaced. I’m trying to gauge effort and cost for meaningful upgrades:

1- replacing the front end clusterf* with modern-day, integrated-shell armrest/extensions. I’ve seen FastTT has offerings but at over 1k for that alone, I’m wondering if there are budget alternatives.

2- moving on to electronic shifting. I have good experiences with both Shimano and SRAM on my road bikes and would be open to both. I understand now SRAM aero offering does not require the blip box, which for me was the crucial issue, not knowing where to place it. With DI2, the issue would be how to get the wiring sorted out and most importantly, where with the battery, as I assume my original, UCI-legal seatpost is not meant to take one. Perhaps relevant here: I am still running 10-speed wheelsets. These can be relatively easy upgraded to 11, but likely not 12 speed. As the whole point of the upgrade is not having to buy new wheelsets, I would favour an option that is 11-speed compatible. Should it be absolutely necessary, I guess I can also look into new freehub bodies though…

Thanks for all your collective insight!

Any round extensions will work. Look at 51speedshop, zipp, profile design, etc. The 51ss would be on the top of my list personally.

With your wheelsets, I think you will be restricted to the previous generation di2 (9070… 11 speed) and the original SRAM etap. Both require a junction/blip box. For di2, you will have to find a way to store the battery. The SC gen 1 was designed for di2 10 speed (7090) which the battery was bulky and externally mounted on the rear brake cover near the BB. You might be able to mount a 9070 cylindrical battery in the seat post like it was design for the sc gen 2. It will require some mcgyvering to mount the battery. For etap, you just need to mount the blip box. It shouldn’t be hard to do but it’s bulky and not exactly a clean solution.

if you can swing it, I would look at picking up a used sc gen 2 for cheap. It was better designed for electronic shifting and the brake adjustment is much better (particularly the rear). And the front end is much easier to work on (less bolts).

1 Like

Thanks @stevej - one thing I forgot is the 10-speed is Campagnolo, so the freehub body would also take 12 speed (campy) cassettes. I read here and elsewhere that this should in principle work, provided the right chain is used. Thus perhaps newer SRAM?

My knowledge of campy is limited (zero). It might work but reading those threads, it doesn’t appear to be a clear answer.

Another thing to be aware of with SRAM AXS is that an AXS crank won’t fit on the sc since the crank is dub and the sc is bb90. You would need to find a 24mm spindle crank or gxp crank that works with AXS.

I was in the same predicament as you with my 2012 Cervelo P2 and decided to upgrade it to eTap 11s recently after purchasing this etap set from a forum member in the classifieds. I have a bento box mounted on the top tube to conceal the blip box, and now have blips in blipgrips on each of the base bars, and a blip AND clic on the right side aero bar, and did not change the left aero bar as I decided to keep my front derailler mechanical for simplicity and cost reasons. I had to extend the blip cable on the right aero bar using some speaker wiring and soldering iron and heatshrink. Everything has been working great. I did not change my 10s crankset, and I am using both shimano and sram 11s cassettes on my wheelsets with a 11s YBN waxed chain and all shift great.

Although the new wireless clics are not backwards compatible with 11s derailleurs, you can use the newer AXS blipbox instead of the original red etap blipbox to control your buttons, as some of the oringinal etap blipbox often had some ports fail due to internal cracking of the connectors (my original version etap blipbox is still working fine but I have concealed it in the bento box and protected with a plastic bag and insulation to protect from moisture/cold). I’ve linked the sram red etap combability chart and would recommend the updated version of the RD RD-RED-E-A2 and the AXS blipbox ES-EAC-BBOX-D1 preferably.

SRAM-RED-eTap-11-Speed-Component-Compatibility-Map.pdf

If you’re fairly comfortable with your current arm rest pads, and want an affordable alternative to forearm supporting aero bars give these eBay bars a look, they are similar to the profile designs asc bars but much cheaper, I just ordered some and will install them next weekend. I also ordered some Cee Gees arms pads which should be much more comfortable than what I have now.
Carbon Rest TT Handlebar Aero Bars Road Bicycle Extension Triathlon Time Trial | eBay
Profile Design 43ASC Extensions - Slowtwitch News
Shop – Cee Gees

Servus to Bavaria,

SRAM AXS 12x with campy 12x cassettes and campy or Shimano 12x chains just work fine. With AXS 12x no need for a bulky battery and with the blibs wires are also obsolete. Every crank with chainrings for 10x upwards will do the job with a 12x chain.

We successfully did this conversion for a Scott Plasma 3 and an airstream TT bike. In addition I 3D printed integrated armrests by myself.

1 Like