Unbound Gravel gave me A-fib

I’m kidding about the topic but I did have quite the experience yesterday. After my coronary calcium scare, I was hoping to not have any more heart questions for a LONG time.

Was feeling great/strong up until mile 65-70 and then started feeling a fluttering in the chest and just an overall “I don’t feel so good”. Thought it might be an electrolyte imbalance and/or my hydration vest feeling restrictive. A bit naive but I didn’t wanna think of a heart issue in the middle of a race. No chest pain nor shortness of breath. Pushing watts definitely made me more aware of the weird chest sensation so I pedaled pretty easy for the remainder of the race.

Rode back to the hotel, took a shower, and then called my wife. Just laying there, my HR was still 140s-150s, and that’s very unusual. So, I told my wife I’m going to the ER because I just don’t feel right. ER confirmed A-fib. They tried adenosine (that was fun) and that didn’t work, so I was given diltiazem which slowed the HR from 150s to 80s. BP was always ok. All labs, including electrolytes and heart enzymes, normal. They wanted to keep me overnight for observation but I told em I really needed to get home and promised I’d pick up my new Rx for Toprol XL and Elliquis before I flew out. Gotta make an appointment with my cardiologist when I get back home.

I saw your post on the Unbound Facebook group. I’m glad that you went in and got it checked out. Safe travels home.

Sorry to read this and glad you’re “ok”. This was my second 200 after suffering immensely in ‘ 19. My race strategy was to take all the climbs easy. Changed my nutrition to Tailwind and even with the cool temps I was downing Saltstyx pills every 20 minutes. It worked, although interesting enough, I felt like quitting around mile 70. Didn’t really enjoy myself until mile 110 after the water stop. Improved from the Breakfast club to the Midnight club. Super sore today and need more rest than what I got. Hope you figure out what happened and can get back at it!

I saw your post on the Unbound Facebook group. I’m glad that you went in and got it checked out. Safe travels home.

Thank you. Yeah I figured I’d post in both places hoping to warn others and learn from other’s experiences

Sorry to read this and glad you’re “ok”. This was my second 200 after suffering immensely in ‘ 19. My race strategy was to take all the climbs easy. Changed my nutrition to Tailwind and even with the cool temps I was downing Saltstyx pills every 20 minutes. It worked, although interesting enough, I felt like quitting around mile 70. Didn’t really enjoy myself until mile 110 after the water stop. Improved from the Breakfast club to the Midnight club. Super sore today and need more rest than what I got. Hope you figure out what happened and can get back at it!

If it had been much warmer, it could’ve been a really bad day for a lot of people. Good plan on the salt pills. I had some hamstring cramping and wish I’d used some of those as well. I was signed up for the 200 and very glad I dropped down to the 100 now. Glad you finished and had a “fun” day on the bike

My cardiologist suggested I get an afib detector from Amazon

For me it’s a good piece of mind

May want to ask your dr about getting one

IIRC from the CCS thread we both has similar scores last year and it led me to my first visit with a cardiologist which resulted in with having a CT angiogram and him clearing me for continuing to train, race, etc. with the caveat to keep a keen eye out for symptoms/changes. As I’ve aged, I’ve substituted volume for intensity. Even more so after having that doctor’s visit/advice. I kept a close eye on my heart rate during the ride Saturday and I felt like I kept the highs under control on the climbs and was happy to see it drop rapidly on the descents. It’s really the first time I’ve “raced” by HR instead of power since getting power (20 year?) and I felt like my body responded well with that strategy. I took my first long look at my Garmin metrics today and I did have low power but also low HR. Maybe I left an hour on the table using that strategy (wish I could beat the sun) but it just doesn’t seem smart to push that hard any long, specially, after reading the threads about Dave and Scott having heart issues.

HR.jpg

IIRC from the CCS thread we both has similar scores last year and it led me to my first visit with a cardiologist which resulted in with having a CT angiogram and him clearing me for continuing to train, race, etc. with the caveat to keep a keen eye out for symptoms/changes. As I’ve aged, I’ve substituted volume for intensity. Even more so after having that doctor’s visit/advice. I kept a close eye on my heart rate during the ride Saturday and I felt like I kept the highs under control on the climbs and was happy to see it drop rapidly on the descents. It’s really the first time I’ve “raced” by HR instead of power since getting power (20 year?) and I felt like my body responded well with that strategy. I took my first long look at my Garmin metrics today and I did have low power but also low HR. Maybe I left an hour on the table using that strategy (wish I could beat the sun) but it just doesn’t seem smart to push that hard any long, specially, after reading the threads about Dave and Scott having heart issues.

I’m glad you had a good race, and a smart (heart wise) pacing strategy.

Like you, I had the CT coronary angiogram last year and I am very glad I did because it gave me some piece of mind. If I’d had new onset Afib, during a race, knowing I had a coronary calcium score >400, and without the “clean” angiogram, I would have certainly thought I was getting ready to have an MI out in the middle of nowhere.

I’d be lying if I said I’ve never experience “weird” heartbeats/rates during training (never racing). I’ve read enough threads on Slowtwitch to realize it’s probably not if, but, when I’ll get that diagnosis and am not looking forward to that day.

Hope you find the answers you’re looking for and all goes well for you. Please keep us up to date on your status!

My cardiologist suggested I get an afib detector from Amazon

For me it’s a good piece of mind

May want to ask your dr about getting one

My father in law also had Afib so we already have a Kardia device. It’s a neat little tool. I can usually tell I’m in Afib just by feeling my pulse at my wrist. Unfortunately, since my Afib started last weekend, I’ve only noticed going back into NSR once. Seeing cardiology today

I saw in another thread that you take magnesium. Do you find that certain foods/drinks/activities aggravate or bring on your Afib?

I don’t know what A-fib is so I had to Google it.

“This condition increases your risk by about four to five times of having a transient ischaemic attack (TIA) or stroke.”

That’s crazy. If you felt good until 60-70 miles, I would do any races or workout up until that point/effort to be safe. It’s important to enjoy your life and have fun but man, you have to draw a line somewhere. If I have to go to ER after a certain event, that’s going to be a big turn off. Sorry to hear this happened to you but at least, you know what’s going on. Take care!!!

I don’t know what A-fib is so I had to Google it.

“This condition increases your risk by about four to five times of having a transient ischaemic attack (TIA) or stroke.”

That’s crazy. If you felt good until 60-70 miles, I would do any races or workout up until that point/effort to be safe. It’s important to enjoy your life and have fun but man, you have to draw a line somewhere. If I have to go to ER after a certain event, that’s going to be a big turn off. Sorry to hear this happened to you but at least, you know what’s going on. Take care!!!

Thank you!

Because of the irregular contraction of the atrium, with Afib, blood can turn into clots inside the heart and these can then leave the heart and cause a stroke. So, to help fight against this, patients are commonly placed in “blood thinners” to reduce this risk. I was given Elliquis and continue to take it to this day.