UCLA Medical School Admissions has some issues

https://freebeacon.com/campus/a-failed-medical-school-how-racial-preferences-supposedly-outlawed-in-california-have-persisted-at-ucla/

Not the least of which is they’re probably going to get sued.

Some students are accepted with GPAs so low “they shouldn’t even be applying.”

UCLA still produces some very good graduates," one professor said. “But a third to a half of the medical school is incredibly unqualified.”

I don’t know how some of these students are going to be junior doctors," the professor said. “Faculty are seeing a shocking decline in knowledge of medical students.”

Wow they have a rather crazy dean of admissions for sure. One would think with thousands of applicants they could find smart black people though. I sounds like this lady takes it as a personal insult when somebody she likes doesn’t qualify.

I wonder if these “unqualified” students are passing their medical boards? I’d think that would be the major metric as far as whether they are putting out unqualified doctors vs. just not elite level doctors like they use to. At least for our program board passage rate is the bottom line metric as far as if we are doing an adequate job or not, which in my opinion, largely comes down to the quality of the students being admitted.

I wonder if these “unqualified” students are passing their medical boards? I’d think that would be the major metric as far as whether they are putting out unqualified doctors vs. just not elite level doctors like they use to. At least for our program board passage rate is the bottom line metric as far as if we are doing an adequate job or not, which in my opinion, largely comes down to the quality of the students being admitted.

Did you read the article? The exam pass rate is going down

Thanks for finding and posting.
My daughter has (had?) aspirations of applying there in a few years - her dream med school. Likely, a shake up is in the offing, and soon. But with blonde hair and blue eyes and a common Scandinavian last name…
She’s not even 20 yet, but still believes hard work and good grades matter; she’ll certainly find a place where they do.

Did you read the article? The exam pass rate is going down

I did. Are the “shelf exams” the equivalent of medical boards, my impression is they are exams you take on your way to the boards? Or they sounded more like what we would call comprehensive exams at the end of a semester. The article seems to focus on the shelf exams and doesn’t say they are actually graduating a smaller precentage of their admitted students students or that their board passage rate is down, both of which would seem to me to be more important metrics for whether or not the students are truly unqualified vs. just not the cream of the crop like they used to be.

The story quotes ten percent of students not even taking step 1 of the USMLE by fourth year and 20 percent not taking step 2. Both of which should be done by then. It seems a good number not prepared. And reducing pre clinical course to one year from two seems fool hardy.

The story quotes ten percent of students not even taking step 1 of the USMLE by fourth year and 20 percent not taking step 2. Both of which should be done by then. It seems a good number not prepared. And reducing pre clinical course to one year from two seems fool hardy.

Right, so do they not graduate? Are they not allowed to take boards? Are they failing boards? I guess I’d just like to see some data on the outcome that truly matters rather than what is going on on the way to what matters.

My daughter has (had?) aspirations of applying there in a few years - her dream med school. Likely, a shake up is in the offing, and soon. But with blonde hair and blue eyes and a common Scandinavian last name…
She’s not even 20 yet, but still believes hard work and good grades matter; she’ll certainly find a place where they do.
Tell her to not give up but get down.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/content/dam/films/2020/09/08/soulmanposter_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqNJjoeBT78QIaYdkJdEY4CnGTJFJS74MYhNY6w3GNbO8.jpeg

Right, so do they not graduate? Are they not allowed to take boards? Are they failing boards? I guess I’d just like to see some data on the outcome that truly matters rather than what is going on on the way to what matters.

I would guess they are allowed to take boards. Boards consist of step 1 through 3 of USMLE. Then after residency you take your specialty exams. I think you have to pass step 1 and 2 to graduate. So if in fourth year you are not taking step 2 graduation is delayed a year.

I tried to figure out if anywhere on the internet it was posted the pass rates for USMLE for boards by school cannot find the info. All this is rather weird multiple postings on the internet about the stress of studying for boards. I recall regarding national board exams as something one should be able to pass based on what one learned in medical school, I don’t remember specifically preparing for them.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/content/dam/films/2020/09/08/soulmanposter_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqNJjoeBT78QIaYdkJdEY4CnGTJFJS74MYhNY6w3GNbO8.jpeg

When people ask what movies wouldn’t/couldn’t get made in today’s PC environment people often say Blazing Saddles or Porky’s or Revenge of the Nerds, etc. I’m always like, “Have you seen Soul Man?” :slight_smile:

When people ask what movies wouldn’t/couldn’t get made in today’s PC environment people often say Blazing Saddles or Porky’s or Revenge of the Nerds, etc. I’m always like, “Have you seen Soul Man?” :slight_smile:

I somehow never saw Soulman other than in passing clips. I tried to get my son to watch Blazing Saddle with me a couple of years ago. I could tell it make him pretty uncomfortable.

Watching Blazing Saddles with your kids is almost as bad as watching Clockwork Orange with your kids. However, Clockwork Orange was always intended to make people cringe. Soulman is just a different level of cringe.

You mean a white actor doing an entire movie in blackface along with never ending stereotypes was cringe worthy? What? :wink:

Mark Watson is the pampered son of a rich family who is about to attend Harvard Law School along with his best friend Gordon. Unfortunately, his father’s neurotic psychiatrist talks his patient into focusing on his own happiness instead of spending money on his son. Mark is denied a student loan and the only scholarship he sees is for** African Americans. He decides to cheat by using tanning pills, in a larger dose than prescribed, to appear as an African American. Watson then sets out for Harvard, naïvely believing that black people have no problems at all in American society.**

However, once immersed in a black student’s life, Mark finds out prejudice and racism truly exist. He meets a young African American student named Sarah Walker, whom he at first only flirts with; gradually, however, he genuinely falls in love with her. In passing, she mentions that he received the scholarship she was in the running for at the last minute. Due to this, she not only has to handle her classes but work as a waitress to support herself and her young son George.

Slowly, Mark begins to regret his decision as he continues to experience problems because of his skin tone. Mark is jailed with uneducated slovenly locals who take out their frustration with a team’s loss to black athletes by assaulting Mark. He also finds himself subjected to sexual harassment by his landlord’s daughter, Whitney, who is eager to explore what she perceives to be the “exotic” thrill of sleeping with a black man.

After a chaotic day in which Sarah, his parents (who are not aware of his double life), and Whitney all make surprise visits at the same time, Mark drops the charade and publicly reveals himself to be white. He is surprised to find that many are willing to forgive him for the charade after considering his reasons for doing so, but Sarah is furious. Mark has a private conversation with his professor. He has learned more than he bargained for, admitting that he still doesn’t know what it is like to be black because he could have changed back to being white at any time.

Mark forfeits his scholarship but gets a loan (albeit at high interest). He goes to Sarah and begs for another chance, to which she agrees after Mark stands up for her and George when two male students tell a racist joke in front of them.

UCLA’s aerospace engineering PhD program is only accepting students with near perfect grades. My older son just graduated summa cum laude from SDSU and barely got in.

UCLA’s aerospace engineering PhD program is only accepting students with near perfect grades. My older son just graduated summa cum laude from SDSU and barely got in.

https://media1.tenor.com/m/t6fNHH88Q3UAAAAC/doctor-who-dr-who.gif

https://san-diego-state-university.dcatalog.com/...Engineering/?page=10

His name is Jason, second from the bottom on the left side of the page.

What in the world does this have to do with anything in the thread?

UCLA’s acceptance policy.

UCLA’s acceptance policy.

Acceptance policy for their Aerospace Engineering program. This thread is about their medical school.

I think the head scratching is in the fact that you brought up your son’s successes in a thread that isn’t relevant to his successes and it seems unnecessary.