Tyson vs Paul

Who is going to watch?

I’ve heard Paul’s fights are mostly staged. Does the Collective think the same here?

If Tyson kills him, can he be charged with manslaughter?

I will likely watch. It’s nice that it’s not PPV.

Last I heard, the decision hasn’t been made on whether it’s going to be an exhibition fight or not.

Every time I see this fight posted somewhere, I think of Tyson knocking out Zach Galifianakis in The Hangover.

Last I heard, the decision hasn’t been made on whether it’s going to be an exhibition fight or not.

What would be the difference?

Tyson is 60 years old. I have seen him training and it’s wild how fast and well he moves, but… HE’S 60 YEARS OLD.

I don’t care who Tyson was 30 years ago, I dont think anyone that age is well equipped to take a punch from an early 20 something year old semi trained boxer possibly on steroids.

I highly doubt the match will be an honest competition. And I think Paul “wins”.

1000004470.jpg

Tyson is 60 years old. I have seen him training and it’s wild how fast and well he moves, but… HE’S 60 YEARS OLD.

I don’t care who Tyson was 30 years ago, I dont think anyone that age is well equipped to take a punch from an early 20 something year old semi trained boxer possibly on steroids.

I highly doubt the match will be an honest competition. And I think Paul “wins”.

Lol

https://youtu.be/tHA_dGl8zx8?feature=shared

Watch this video. The guy is very old and still has great footwork and punching. He is old, but he has years and years of muscle memory

. https://youtu.be/5JCYniy1McA?si=uPN6yO0RFbssBzCd

And this one.

. https://youtu.be/6ahyB_1DwOE?si=alBQr7hyfU2XdZyE

My understanding (which could be wrong on some/all points):

Exhibition round doesn’t go on your professional record. So to extent it’s a non-exhibition fight, it’s less likely to be staged.

Exhibition fights can have different time/round combos. A real heavyweight fight has 12 three min rounds. An exhibition match could have shorter or longer rounds, and/or diff number of rounds. IMO, that could be a factor in terms of Tyson’s age and ability to go the distance on cardio terms. ETA: now thst I think about it, I think 12/3 is only mandated for title fights - so maybe less of a differentiator here.

I think exhibition fights can also have different / puffier gloves to reduce chance of serious injury, and that would affect each guy’s game too. Personally, I think Tyson can still hit really fucking hard, but that is somewhat less important with bigger gloves that don’t transfer as much of the force to the opponent.

Exhibition round doesn’t go on your professional record. So to extent it’s a non-exhibition fight, it’s less likely to be staged.

Exhibition fights can have different time/round combos. A real heavyweight fight has 12 three min rounds. An exhibition match could have shorter or longer rounds, and/or diff number of rounds. IMO, that could be a factor in terms of Tyson’s age and ability to go the distance on cardio terms.

I think exhibition fights can also have different / puffier gloves to reduce chance of serious injury, and that would affect each guy’s game too. Personally, I think Tyson can still hit really fucking hard, but that is somewhat less important with bigger gloves that don’t transfer as much of the force to the opponent.

I feel like there was a thread on this already, but to lazy to search. Tyson started an exhibition series a while ago, he coasted through the fight, cause he wanted people interested in the series, it backfired, the event was panned everywhere, and the series was killed anyhow. Tyson hated having to go easy on the go. His next fight was not an exhibition and I doubt this one will be. But then they need a sanctioning body to approve it.

The difference is the difference in the NBA and the Harlem Globetrotters. One is a real sporting event, the other is a show. An exhibition can match the look of a real fight or not, often they wear headgear or one of them does. But the rules for an exhibition are made up it can be anything.

I don’t quite get the upside for either of them…

Tyson wins… well, he’s still Mike Tyson
Tyson loses… well, he’s old.

Paul wins… well, Tyson’s old.
Paul loses … well, it’s Tyson. Probably worse for Paul to lose, if he’s trying to claim to have legit skills.

Unless the upside for both of them is the $$$ to be gained.

I don’t quite get the upside for either of them…

Unless the upside for both of them is the $$$ to be gained.

I think guys buy drinks for girls to get with them and scuba divers wear tanks because you cannot breath underwater.

Exhibition fights can have different time/round combos. A real heavyweight fight has 12 three min rounds. An exhibition match could have shorter or longer rounds, and/or diff number of rounds. IMO, that could be a factor in terms of Tyson’s age and ability to go the distance on cardio terms.

I feel like there was a thread on this already, but to lazy to search. Tyson started an exhibition series a while ago, he coasted through the fight, cause he wanted people interested in the series, it backfired, the event was panned everywhere, and the series was killed anyhow. Tyson hated having to go easy on the go. His next fight was not an exhibition and I doubt this one will be. But then they need a sanctioning body to approve it.

The difference is the difference in the NBA and the Harlem Globetrotters. One is a real sporting event, the other is a show. An exhibition can match the look of a real fight or not, often they wear headgear or one of them does. But the rules for an exhibition are made up it can be anything.

I am wondering if any state would license a 60 year old.

I am wondering if any state would license a 60 year old.

Why?

Tyson is 57 (and the fight is shortly before his 58th birthday), not 60.

**The difference is the difference in the NBA and the Harlem Globetrotters. One is a real sporting event, the other is a show. **An exhibition can match the look of a real fight or not, often they wear headgear or one of them does. But the rules for an exhibition are made up it can be anything.

Which one is a real sporting event?

Why?

Here are some weight lifting stats:

(weight lifting has two component, Snatch and Clean and Jerk, you total the weight from the two disciplines in competition)

WR for 35 yr old heavy weight man: 386 KG
WR for 55 yr old heavy weight man: 278 KG
WR for 60 yr old heavy weight man: 250 KG

That’s a measurement of pure power.

A sport with a skill component:

WR for 35 yr old man in 50M Free: 22.76 (I actually think it is faster than this, I think this is the record for “masters” swimmers. It might be more like 22.4)
WR for 55 yr old man in 50M Free: 24.45
WR for 60 yr old man in 50M Free: 25.53

Not drawing conclusions because these aren’t “great” comparisons, but the guy above is right. You lose SO MUCH when you get older.

Why?

Here are some weight lifting stats:

(weight lifting has two component, Snatch and Clean and Jerk, you total the weight from the two disciplines in competition)

WR for 35 yr old heavy weight man: 386 KG
WR for 55 yr old heavy weight man: 278 KG
WR for 60 yr old heavy weight man: 250 KG

That’s a measurement of pure power.

A sport with a skill component:

WR for 35 yr old man in 50M Free: 22.76 (I actually think it is faster than this, I think this is the record for “masters” swimmers. It might be more like 22.4)
WR for 55 yr old man in 50M Free: 24.45
WR for 60 yr old man in 50M Free: 25.53

Not drawing conclusions because these aren’t “great” comparisons, but the guy above is right. You lose SO MUCH when you get older.

I broadly agree with you in concept. But I wouldn’t put swimming firmly in the skill-based column of sports. There’s form there for sure, but you’re not really matching your form directly against another competitor’s form the way it happens in a fight.

For Tyson v Paul, at very high level, I give Tyson a slight edge in the first round or two. More composure, more experience, and still plenty enough power to put someone down if he can get inside and land a good combination. After that, I think age, cardio and reach give Paul the advantage.

Yeah, but how much do modern drugs change that? Tyson is on everything.