Tyreek Hill Arrest Video

https://www.latimes.com/sports/story/2024-09-10/tyreek-hill-police-video-handcuffs

What do you all think about this? I’m particularly interested in anyone involved in law enforcement. Hill could have complied faster to lower his window, but it seems to me the officers went way overboard. Police Officers are paid professionals that are required to complete many hours on how to do traffic stops, which includes not escalating the situation like what happened here. Tyreek Hill on the other hand does not require training on how to be pulled over by the police and is not a civil servant. He also has no requirement to be polite to police officers.

At least one of the police officers was obviously having a bad day and took it out on a citizen that rubbed him the wrong way. Everyone can have a bad day, but when we give them the authority to enforce the law and gun, I think they should be held to a much higher standard.

I don’t know, I get he didn’t want people taking his picture but I think screw it, roll your window down take the ticket and get out of Dodge.

I thought there were 4 assholes in at the start of the video, maybe 3 since we only heard two officers and Hill talk. In any case, if all of them would have been a little more civil, there wouldn’t have been an issue.

Tyreek was driving about double the speed of anyone else, but I didn’t catch what the exact speed limit was or his actual speed. It should have been a speeding ticket. Roll down your window, give your license and registration, take the ticket, and go about your day. It’s not hard. He didn’t comply and rolled his window up? It also appeared the window was so tinted that you couldn’t see. If I was an officer, I wouldn’t have liked that either because you wouldn’t know if they were grabbing something that endangers you.

The only part where I thought the cops were out of line was when they dragged him out of the car the moment the door was cracked. I thought they should have at least given him five seconds to step out under his own power.

Bottom line to me is Tyreek thought he was above the situation and could play games, and the officers weren’t playing any games and took control of the situation. Blame 80% Tyreek, 20% police.

1 Like

I have a few thoughts. These are not in order of priority or importance.

1. The root cause of this entire incident was Tyreek Hill. He was speeding excessively. He met the officer right off the bat with attitude and killed most chance of a polite or brief encounter. He rolled up his window when the officer clearly wanted him to roll it down and was still talking to him. He chose to sit in the car, put on his seat belt, and try to call his agent instead of immediately exiting the car when directed to do so.

2. The officers failed to manage the situation properly. One officer in particular appeared to be the guy who got very physical in dragging Hill out of the car and again grabbing him by the neck and shoulders to force him to sit on the curb. The others didn’t seem to do anything to calm that officer down. The response was out of proportion to the incident.

3. The Dolphins and media are not helping the situation any by painting this as solely the “despicable” act of probably racist police officers. I haven’t heard any account that even makes a passing attempt at holding Hill accountable for his actions. That doesn’t help with the community dialogue, or help with the national discussion.

I feel like, if Hill had still been speeding, and had just rolled down his window and been polite with the officer, he probably would have gotten a ticket or warning and been on his way. If he’d been friendly and apologized and tried to get a conversation going “Hey officer, sorry I was going so fast. You looking forward to the game today? Etc.” he might have ended up with just a warning and the officers telling their buddies later about how they pulled over Tyreek Hill and he was cool.

6 Likes

Pretty solid assessment.

If i hit the little heart thing, is it a “like” or a “love”? Its all so confusing around here.

2 Likes

Just like Late Elementary School … Like = Love; no middle ground

90mph in a 45mph. I live here amongst these a**hole drivers in south florida and I am fed up to the brim with them. What should have happened was he should have been arrested and his car impounded. If he wasn’t a Miami Dolphin thats what would have happened. He’s lucky to get off as he did. These dipshits in super cars are endangering innocent lives. Got zero sympathy. Take the racist stuff and stick it where the sun don’t shine. Black or White, I want these reckless drivers locked up.

1 Like

Without a radar gun on it you aren’t writing anything for speeding. Do the officers know felony speeding when they see it… of course they do. And you lose any benefit of the doubt or leniency. Especially around a stadium with a lot of foot traffic. All conveniently ignored by the social media nitwits.

I see Hill failing to comply with any of the LEO directives before, during, and after he was facedown on the pavement.
He put officers and himself in danger by rolling up the window and refusing to exit the vehicle. Hill stated that he was “getting out” but he was not - until after the LEO grabbed him. Hill failed to comply while on the pavement (facilitating knee-to-wrist immobilization). Hill failed to comply when directed to sit on the curb. Blame 100% Hill. Shame on the Dolphin’s statement.

Before the officer arrives at the window he can start a phone video recording. From the second the officer(s) approached his car, to the second the officer(s) released him, Hill’s opportunity to defend or argue his driving is in court.

Do you think police officers should be able to handle someone with an attitude problem? It is required by fast food and others in the service industry. Citizens are not required to be pleasant to police officers. They should be, but it is not against the law.

Once the officer said get out of the car, it was less than 10 seconds before they opened his door and pulled him out. It takes a couple of seconds to get out of a car like that. He could have gone faster, but the professional civil servants could have also been more patient and de-escalated the situation.

I agree that Tyreek Hill could have made different decisions and acted differently to make this a better outcome. I think most people also agree the police officers could have handled this better, which also would have lead to a better outcome. Police Officers are granted the authority to enforce laws and use deadly force. Not to mention, they are paid civil servants. I think they should be held to a higher standard of conduct due to these factors.

@jmcconne Yes, which is why I really clearly said that the police officers failed to handle the situation properly.

I mentioned it elsewhere also… I think he rolled up the window to get some silence in order to make the call (to his agent?) that he was getting arrested. Not the smartest move, but understandable. Also understandable that the cops wouldn’t like a window being rolled up, especially heavily tinted ones.

Cops here seemed to have very short fuses. Every move was an escalation, including their interactions with the other player’s car that pulled over in front. If they were able to defuse the situation it would’ve been a better outcome - for everyone.

I heard 60 in a 40 mph zone, but unsafe due to the heavy vehicle and pedestrian traffic due to the game.

Fair, and you did mention your thoughts weren’t in any order. I guess I focused on you mentioning Tyreek Hill as the root cause. While he could have acted differently, I believe the onus is on the police officers rather than the citizen to handle the situation properly, they are trained and paid. So the over zealous police officers are at fault and should be properly punished.

The onus is not on the police “rather than” the citizen. The onus is on both the police and the citizen to act appropriately.

Hill is the root cause, because if he had not been speeding excessively, this never would have happened. If he had not given the officer attitude immediately, this would very likely never have happened. The police certainly didn’t handle it correctly, and should be dealt with accordingly, but they didn’t instigate the original negative interaction. That was Hill.

If the driver roles up tinted windows, ignores multiple LE directives from multiple officers so he can make a phone call, and refuses to exit the vehicle - you can understandably expect cops to do their jobs aggressively in keeping everyone safe. Including providing verbally aggressive security of the perimeter from unknown associates of the driver.

You watched the video and were like, “yep escalating the situation in a violent manner kept every one safe”? Really, you saw that and thought that was a better way to keep everyone safe than simply giving someone a ticket?

You watched the video and were like, “yep escalating the situation in a violent manner kept every one safe”? Really, you saw that and thought that was a better way to keep everyone safe than simply giving someone a ticket?

Yes. Really. - Violent? No. By “aggressively” controlling a non-compliant driver who initiated the stop by driving dangerously, and who repeatedly ignored directives that keep all involved (citizenry included) informed, and calmer… Yes.
When the car is no longer moving - all are safe(r). When the driver is no longer behind the wheel - all are safer. When the non-compliant driver is controlled by the pavement, handcuffs, curb, with associates at a distance - all are safer.
His associates complied. No pavement, no cuffs, no curb.