Triathlon coach and amateur athlete relocate with family. Need your advice

I am a triathlon coach with 10 years of experience. I work only with amateurs, ages from 18 to 65 years. At the same time, I have been training myself for 12 years. Previously lived in Ukraine, Kyiv. Due to the war, it is not safe to live there.

All the athletes I work with, now train remotely in different places around the world.
I need to choose a place where I could live comfortably, train personally and work.

I need your advice on what place you would choose to live as a triathlete and at the same time a coach. Level of English is good, French is basic, family income is average by European standards and below average by US standards

A family with three children, schools, safety, living and training conditions are important.

Boulder? Girona? Cote d’Azur? all three places are quite expensive to live in

Will be grateful for any advice

Oro Valley, Arizona seems to be full of young families and triathletes.

I currently live in Boulder, had family that lived in the south of France and I’ve coached from Girona.

For your criteria, I’d put them in order as…South of France, Catalonia, Rocky Mountains.
It’s a big drop off from Catalonia to the Rocky Mountains.

Best of luck with the move and stay safe.

Maybe take a look at Nürnberg, Germany.
Cost of living OK by german standards (less than Munich).
Challenge Roth nearby, active scene and nice area with good roads. Good facilities in the area as well.
You probably need to demonstrate German language skills after some time. Ukrainian community is quite large and I am sure you will find good support.
Not as sunny and warm as other proposals though.

Best of luck!

Another option could be the Netherlands, especially if you have Ukranian nationality. If you choose a location more in the south you’re close to Belgium, Germany, Luxembourg and France with all the different training options that they offer. Ukranians can work without visa etc, schools and healthcare etc are affordable and it’s safe. But like Germany not so sunny and warm as the other options you mentioned :wink:
Whatever you do, I wish you and your family the best

It is very difficult to have your qualifications recognised in France if you are from a non EU country, so double and triple check that they are accepted.

To work as a coach in France you will have to set up a company (probably as Auto Entrepreneur). They are easy to do and cost very little (about 250 euros). But and it is a BIG BUT, you have to pay social taxes based on revenue not on profit. In addition you pay tax on profit (but in your circumstances it is likely to be lower).

You won’t be entitled to health cover and you can’t apply until after you have been in France for 3 months. Once you apply it could take up to a year for your Health Card depending on what department you are in. You will have to have private health insurance to cover the whole family until you receive your Carte Vitale.

It can be difficult renting a property in a town as the landlord normally asks for a “bail” which you won’t be able to do. Renting in a small village will be easy though. Rural France is brilliant for triathlon training, lakes and hills in abundance. Not many swimming pools though.

My wife was a GB-Tri qualified coach and her qualifications were not recognised so she couldn’t work here in any of the Tri schools or Tri clubs.

I am not sure what type of visa a Ukrainian family would have to apply for but most visa’s are annual to start with and very expensive.

Schools can be strict on discipline but are generally good. They will get the kids extra help to catch up with French.

I’m in Denver (just next to Boulder). The Denver-Boulder area has a very high number of triathlon coaches, to where it can get a bit like a shark tank. (there are those of us who team up and share and there are those who get very territorial). Boulder is also crazy expensive, Denver is getting there. If you only coach for your income (assuming your partner makes a decent income), it would be pretty hard as a new person to afford living here.