Tri Helmet Recommendation

I’m well aware that helmets can vary based on individual positions so I’m looking for some feedback.

I chose lazer because they tend to fit my long narrow head well. But I noticed given how I ride and my head position that I may be not doing this helmet justice with the fin kind of up in the air.

For you gurus, what are your thoughts? Should I be looking at a different helmet or possibly just riding my Lazer Vento?

If you think another helmet would be best given my head position, do you find one better for long narrow noggins like mine?

1000002102.jpg

Test some helmets.

Test some helmets.

Don’t have a dealer that has a lot of helmets on hand to try so attempting to at least narrow it down a bit.

Also don’t have a wind tunnel to get consistent results. I know there are other methods but I don’t how one can possibly account for variables such as changing wind speeds for the ‘go ride a course with different options’ test.

If you can’t test (TBH that’s most people) the general wisdom is to go with a helmet that generally tends to test well across a large swath of athletes. Listening to Jim at Ero, some helmets to consider are the Kask Mistral and the Giro Aerohead. Avoid helmets like the POC Tempor unless you can test (it does great on a few folks and lousy on everyone else).

Personally, I’m a fan of the Aerohead because it’s readily available and can be found for a reasonable price (I picked one up brand new, in box, from a bike store selling on eBay for $150 this Spring).

If you can’t test (TBH that’s most people) the general wisdom is to go with a helmet that generally tends to test well across a large swath of athletes. Listening to Jim at Ero, some helmets to consider are the Kask Mistral and the Giro Aerohead. Avoid helmets like the POC Tempor unless you can test (it does great on a few folks and lousy on everyone else).

Personally, I’m a fan of the Aerohead because it’s readily available and can be found for a reasonable price (I picked one up brand new, in box, from a bike store selling on eBay for $150 this Spring).This is exactly what I did. I picked up a used Giro Aerohead on facebook for a steal of $50.

Have you come across Alex Dowsett’s YouTube videos on aero helmets in the TT position?

I found it helpful and informative.

https://youtu.be/8uTBX9Q7l_A?si=1jj4LPqYv1rrSEQN

Have you come across Alex Dowsett’s YouTube videos on aero helmets in the TT position?

I found it helpful and informative.

https://youtu.be/…?si=1jj4LPqYv1rrSEQN

Appreciate this, thank you!

If your head is always in that position, there are probably some decent gains from a different helmet. Looking at the picture, you can see all of the tail of the helmet sits about 4 inches above your back. There should be a huge low pressure area forming at the base of your neck.

The best fix would be a bike fit with a focus on head position, but there aren’t a lot of people that can really hold a great position for 5 hours in an IM. As others have said the Aerohead might be a decent bet, but my guess is the new POC Procen would also be worth investigating. It is designed to address your problem by moving the air through the helmet.

You mentioned that you are looking for something that fits a long, narrow head. I am the same, I find that the Giro helmets don’t fit well. They are too short and too wide, and I wouldn’t feel safe crashing in one. I like the fit of Specialized helmets like the Evade, and I think the Bontrager aero helmet fits similarly.

Yeah Giro hasn’t been a helmet that works for me at all. Too round. Lazer and specialized work ok. Sweet protection ski helmets fits amazing.

I ordered the Rudy Project The Wing and will see how that fits. Seems to test well with people and those like me whos head is all over. 😁

Giro never seems to work for my head. I’ve been using a Specialized aero helmet for a few years and love it.