Trek Checkpoint Water Bottle Boss Threads

Trying to change over to having three water bottles on my carbon framed Trek Checkpoint. When only having one bottle on the downtube, i had it mounted into the two bosses on the cover for the storage area. No issues. When moving it around to put the two bottles on the downtube, i am using the bosses that are in the carbon frame and even using the shortest M5 10mm screws and they seem to bottom out before the bottle cage is tight to the frame.

So, anybody else have this happen? I tried just putting a washer on to take up the space and still not enough to tighten things up. No luck finding shorter screws either. Can I drill out the holes and tap them “deeper” into the frame or would that damage something?

One more question, what is everyone’s favorite combination Garmin computer and light mount for their gravel ride?

Sorry for egg sucking, but just checking that there aren’t blanking grub screws in the additional bosses to stop water/dirt getting into unused bosses.

Nope, took out the push in plastic pieces that trek uses to keep out dust/dirt/water for unused bosses. The threads on the seat tube are not a problem either even though they are directly into a carbon tube of the frame also.

Can you see all the way through the holes? I’d think there shouldn’t be anything which would cause a screw to bottom out, they’re thin carbon tubes.

Under no circumstances should you try and drill/tap those holes

Trying to change over to having three water bottles on my carbon framed Trek Checkpoint. When only having one bottle on the downtube, i had it mounted into the two bosses on the cover for the storage area. No issues. When moving it around to put the two bottles on the downtube, i am using the bosses that are in the carbon frame and even using the shortest M5 10mm screws and they seem to bottom out before the bottle cage is tight to the frame.

So, anybody else have this happen? I tried just putting a washer on to take up the space and still not enough to tighten things up. No luck finding shorter screws either. Can I drill out the holes and tap them “deeper” into the frame or would that damage something?

One more question, what is everyone’s favorite combination Garmin computer and light mount for their gravel ride?

Find some m5x5mm or m5x6mm screws online if you can’t find them locally.

I will look at mine in the morning, but I know I’ve only used M5x0.8x12mm Terske titanium bolts in all bosses with no issue. Do you possibly have the accessory bag in the storage compartment causing interference with the bolts?
If you are using the stock Blendr stem you can use the Blendr duo base part #W537090, use part #W574066 for the light, and part# 5266375 with Garmin or Wahoo adapter (5266373 or 5266374). It works and looks fine but I use Redshift stem so just got a dual K-Edge mount.

I will look at mine in the morning, but I know I’ve only used M5x0.8x12mm Terske titanium bolts in all bosses with no issue. Do you possibly have the accessory bag in the storage compartment causing interference with the bolts?
If you are using the stock Blendr stem you can use the Blendr duo base part #W537090, use part #W574066 for the light, and part# 5266375 with Garmin or Wahoo adapter (5266373 or 5266374). It works and looks fine but I use Redshift stem so just got a dual K-Edge mount.

The bolts have no problem going in the bosses that are in the cover for the storage area. It is the other bosses that the bolts bottom out in prior to snugging up the water bottle cage to the frame.

Thanks for the recommendations for the Garmin/light. My light is a bit on the heavy side (I like lots of lumens and need 7 hours of run time too). Maybe I will give the blendr system a trial. Was curious if others had found one that they really liked for being clean, and solid feeling.

Trek is pretty well known for requiring special(read as shorter) water bottle bolts in the cage bosses on the seat tube. I wouldn’t be surprised if they did something similar for your scenario. Order a shorter bolt or cut one would be better than drilling anything.

Shorter bolts - as mentioned many times plus M5 rubber washers

We used to need shorter bolts for iso speed seat tube models also.

I have a late model checkpoint and have done rides up to 15 hours. I use the frame bag 100% of the time vs 3 bottles on frame. Even racing I will put a 3rd bottle in the bag along with an assortment of other nutrition etc. Frame bag is certainly more aero :slight_smile: