Training without smartwatch

strong text

does anybody train with just a regular watch? Just went back to wearing a Casio from wearing an garmin for 3 years straight and it’s so much lighter on the wrist. I wonder if anybody else does their training with a regular watch especially swimming.

I always use a smartwatch. Watches like the Fenix and Epix are quite large/heavy, but there are much lighter options (albeit less full featured). I used to use the 1st gen VivoActive. It did almost everything my Fenix does except no wrist HR and no bike power in a very light package. The battery life was a bit short (~6hrs with GPS/HR/BT…a couple days in dumb watch mode). There are probably similarly light options available today.

I love the smart watch analysis. And I frequently use mapping on the watch.

And for swims, I could never give it up. I cannot count lengths in long sets, so I depend on my watch for counting.

1 Like

My Garmin 735 may not have all the cool fitness things other watches have, but I really like it for it’s light weight and watch like size. It’s easily comparable to your Casio for size and weight.

Check out the Coros Pace - smaller form factor and tracks swimming really well, battery lasts a week or more. Here’s the review from DCR: COROS Pace 3 In-Depth Review: The Best Bang for The Buck? | DC Rainmaker

@Kid

1 Like

Yes, life exists without a smart watch. There are plenty of pace clocks at a pool. When fit, I can tell you how far I went and have a good feel for the pace, not to the second, but based on the effort and the time I am meaning to run. Be free.

I’m in the same boat. I wear my 735 basically 24/7 and can’t say I notice the weight at all (heck I barely notice the watch itself anymore). After 5 years or so the battery life is still great and it does everything I need of it (swim and run workouts + triathlon races).