Trail running shoes? (1)

OK, I’m aiming for a late winter half-marathon distance trail race to mix things up, training-wise over the next couple of months. I normally run some mostly well-groomed trails in road shoes and it’s not a problem. But I have some holiday gift $ burning a hole in my pocket, so why not pick up a pair of trail running shoes? So, Q1: if you’re a trail runner, what do you run in and why? I did some research and thought that I’d try some Inov-8 shoes. I ordered a pair from Amazon and discovered that they were a women’s model (not that there is anything wrong with that), but they were not labeled as women’s (or men’s). So, Q2: are Inov-8 shoes gender agnostic? For example, I’m a EUR 41.5 - if I order that size in what appears to be a woman’s shoe (Inov-8 Rocliteâ„¢ 295-U Trail Runner is the Amazon product title of the shoes I bought…and returned) will the width/other dimensions be suitable for a man? Finally, Q3: what does the ‘-U’ imply in the ‘295-U’? Is this ‘unisex’? There is also an ‘Inov-8 Men’s Rocliteâ„¢ 295-M Trail Runner’ - does the ‘-M’ specifically ID this as a men’s shoe (‘men’s’ IS in the product description). Just trying to decode the Inov-8 product descriptions…

OK, I’m aiming for a late winter half-marathon distance trail race to mix things up, training-wise over the next couple of months. I normally run some mostly well-groomed trails in road shoes and it’s not a problem. But I have some holiday gift $ burning a hole in my pocket, so why not pick up a pair of trail running shoes? So, Q1: if you’re a trail runner, what do you run in and why? I did some research and thought that I’d try some Inov-8 shoes. I ordered a pair from Amazon and discovered that they were a women’s model (not that there is anything wrong with that), but they were not labeled as women’s (or men’s). So, Q2: are Inov-8 shoes gender agnostic? For example, I’m a EUR 41.5 - if I order that size in what appears to be a woman’s shoe (Inov-8 Rocliteâ„¢ 295-U Trail Runner is the Amazon product title of the shoes I bought…and returned) will the width/other dimensions be suitable for a man? Finally, Q3: what does the ‘-U’ imply in the ‘295-U’? Is this ‘unisex’? There is also an ‘Inov-8 Men’s Rocliteâ„¢ 295-M Trail Runner’ - does the ‘-M’ specifically ID this as a men’s shoe (‘men’s’ IS in the product description). Just trying to decode the Inov-8 product descriptions…

Since I am not running Innov-8 I can answer only Q1:

Salomon SpeedCross Pro

It was the best fitting shoe in the shop that I’ve tried on before my first trail some years ago. This is still my trail shoe of choice because of the following reasons:
aggressive lugs, which fits the rough terrain of the trails I run most of the timesnug fit, without being too tight, as it was made for my foot shaperelatively lightefficient lacing systemhandles debris and and water pretty well (last race had to cross three rivers - no issues with weight or chafing at all)red (it makes shoes faster, just like bike, right?)
I wouldn’t use it for swimrun, because it is still a bit heavy, and because I would want some buoyancy from those shoes, but for trail - the next shoe still probably be Salomon, maybe S-Lab, or maybe even the same.

I also did couple of runs in Mafate, but didn’t like it.

Also like my Salomon Speedcross shoes. My Adidas Kanadia TR7s are pretty sweet, too.

I am a woman with wide feet, so I find that men’s shoes for running and cycling tend to fit me better than women’s. European sizes are consistent. For example, I am a size 41 in men’s or women’s shoes, with only slight variations from brand to brand. (You’d think I would be a better swimmer with these flippers). I am not sure what the U means, but your guess sounds good.

I trail run quite a bit, and when it comes to running shoes, I look for the same things for trail and road shoes, just with more traction on the trail shoe. For example, I only wear shoes with 4mm of drop or less, it doesn’t matter if the shoe is trail or road. I like shoes with a wide toe box and thin, flexible sole for both trail and road. I know a few people who think that stiff soles or thickly cushioned soles are the best for the trail. However, those make my feet and knees cranky, and with thick soles you have to pick your feet up more. I live in a very rocky, rooty area, so trail shoes are a good idea, but if you have short, quick steps, you don’t need rock plates or any of that.

Now it is my turn to ask a question. I recently started wearing pair of Innov-8s on the road, and I love them. Do the trail running shoes also have a nice, flexible sole? I was thinking about getting a pair.

x3 on the Salomon SpeedCross trail shoes. Love them for winter running. I have the Climashield ones so they keep the water/snow out better.

For fall trail running, or where I don’t need such aggressive lugs, I use New Balance Minimus. Really like those too. No experience with the Innov-8, sorry.

What shoes have you used in the past and liked? That might help steer you towards a new pair.

I think I have had 3-4 INOV8 trail running shoes and I bought every pair of a certain road model I could find. The Trailroc series was pretty cool for trail running. I would say the Altra Superior is pretty close to those now. Anyhow, there was not much difference between their men’s and women’s shoes a few years back. You’re right about the M and U in the model names/numbers and just ordering the equivalent size in the other gender…as far as a few years ago. The boxes for my road x lites had both the men’s and women’s size listed. I’m not sure why it would have changed now, but I suppose there’s a chance they have. I don’t remember if the trail shoes had both sizes listed. There were very clearly M and W models for those, while the road stuff was U. Happyscientist made a good point about widths sometimes being different between men’s and women’s.

The thread quickly turned into a Solomon advertisement instead of answering Q1. The Solomons recommended above are pretty cool and can handle most winter running conditions. Too much heel-to-toe drop and narrow for me. There’s also a pretty wild S-Labs version one of my friends is loving this winter here on the IL/WI border. If you’re planning on running on groomed or packed down surfaces, they might be more shoe than you need. I have been pretty happy with the Altra Lone Peak Neoshell this winter. Aggressive enough lugs for most things, waterproof (except the tongue) so the feet stay dry when it’s melty, and a bit more padded which I like when there’s hard ice spots or rocks/roots hidden under snow. There’s a mid-top version as well. There’s also an Altra specific gaiter that I like better than the traditional loop around the shoe type gaiters.

Now it is my turn to ask a question. I recently started wearing pair of Innov-8s on the road, and I love them. Do the trail running shoes also have a nice, flexible sole? I was thinking about getting a pair.

Inov-8 has really gotten away from zero drop running shoes. They do have a few that would satisfy your 4mm of drop or less requirements. The Trail Talon or Roclite series are probably what you would be looking at. I can’t say if the new ones are as flexible as the old ones though. I found the Altra Superior to have a fairly familiar feel to my (former) favorite Inov-8 Trailroc’s and the Superior became my new favorite trail shoe. Zero drop, wide toe box, very flexible and there’s a lightweight removable rock plate.

I suppose I drank a little cool-aide but I just got a pair of Hoka Speed Instinct and so far I like them. I’ve done a number of easy trails and one very rough trail and they seem great.

How do the lugs on the Speedcross hold up? I heard they wear quickly or break off on rocky or hard-packed trails.

I wear the Brooks Cascadia and they are great, but I am doing a 100k in October (Javelina Jundred) so I’m looking to try some new options before then.

For Q-1, i am currently running in NB Leadvilles. Generally happy with them while on trails, esp if the trails are a bit soft. This after many pairs of Cascadias, which I probably like a bit more. Both have rockplates, which I like having. Cascadias feel like they’ve got more midsole cushioning.
One variable I find matters: when you trail run, how much of that run is on trail? There are trail shoes that can work great if you’re driving to/from a trailhead, or if you live in the woods, but that won’t do well if you’ve got a run that starts with a mile of road to get to the trailhead or a significant mid-run section of pavement.

I see no issue in running in a women’s shoe if it fits, it’s comfortable and you’re happy with it.

I’m x4 on the Salomon Speedcross. I never had any issues with the laces or lugs as someone else mentioned. The one downside to the Salomon’s is if you run a lot of mixed terrain, both me and some of my training partners, didn’t love running on road surfaces in these but for pure trail they are great. I used the Speedcross in combination with my Saucony Peregrine and Saucony Xodus trail shoes for all my trail races and ultras. The Peregrine is lighter and more ‘minimal’ than the Xodus and so it is great for shorter trail runs but I struggled to go longer than 20mi in them. The Xodus is all around great even for mixed terrain.

No comment on the Altra’s, Inov-8, or Hoka’s as I haven’t ever run in them.

The Hoka Challenger ATR 3 is the best multi-terrain shoe out there! It has been used by Hoka athletes for everything from half marathon championships to the Western States 100. It works awesomely moving from pavement to trail!

I love the Speed Instincts! Used to use Challenger ATR, but the Instincts are a cut above. I also use Altra Lone Peak 2.5. I find them better on really technical stuff, but they’re hard on me on downhill fire road. So, I’m torn between the two - it just depends on the trail conditions.

Thanks to all. My use case is trails-only (drive to the run). I’ll know more about the Inov-8 later this week. What I didn’t include as OP is that I ordered a pair of Inov-8 shoes from Amazon and they sent me the correct numerical size, but in a woman’s (I’m a guy). I explained all of that and returned those for a replacement pair, which arrived last night - and they were exactly the same size as the ones I returned. Sigh. So I just ordered the EUR size I need, translated to a women’s size using the sizing chart (EUR 41.5 / US Wmns 10). We’ll see. I’ll probably receive a US Men’s 10! As far as some of the other comments - I am looking for something in moderate/low drop (which is why I didn’t consider some of the otherwise excellent-looking candidates from Solomon). A rockplate would be good - the Inov-8 model I ordered has a fancy-sounding name for the same function, I think. The roomier toe box of the Inov-8 standard fit seems as it it would work well for me. Update this weekend, I think.

The Hoka Challenger ATR 3 is the best multi-terrain shoe out there! It has been used by Hoka athletes for everything from half marathon championships to the Western States 100. It works awesomely moving from pavement to trail!

But you’re not biased or anything…

But you’re not biased or anything…

Haha, fair point! The money in trail running isn’t much, so we go with the company that makes the best shoes :slight_smile:

How do the lugs on the Speedcross hold up? I heard they wear quickly or break off on rocky or hard-packed trails.

I wear the Brooks Cascadia and they are great, but I am doing a 100k in October (Javelina Jundred) so I’m looking to try some new options before then.

Didn’t have any issues with the lugs. I feel they are pretty grippy and very well positioned.

I’ve had four pairs of Inov8s (2 Roclites, 1 Mudclaw, 1 Race Ultra). For trail running, Roclites have been great but I’ve raced on courses were they were overkill and on courses were I was glad to have used the Mudclaws instead. I’ve always found Inov8 to be true to size.

The Mudclaws are phenomenal off trail shoes, but also work well on wet, soft trails.

The Race Ultras were fine in Boulder, CO and then truly terrible when I raced them in the English Lake District (where Roclites have been great).

Experience has shown the quality of Inov8s build has dropped in recent years. For what it’s worth, I now use Nike Wildhorses where I was using Roclites and so far so good.

OK, I’m aiming for a late winter half-marathon distance trail race to mix things up, training-wise over the next couple of months. I normally run some mostly well-groomed trails in road shoes and it’s not a problem. But I have some holiday gift $ burning a hole in my pocket, so why not pick up a pair of trail running shoes? So, Q1: if you’re a trail runner, what do you run in and why?
Depending on what trails I’m running and how far, I have two go-to pairs of trail shoes:

1. Altra Lone Peak 2
  2. Pearl Izumi Peak II
    There are newer versions of each available, but I’m getting good life out of them.

The Altra is great in a wide range of conditions. If there’s a lot of hardpack, mud, gravel, or I have to run on roads for a part of the run, then I use the Altra. Roomy at the front, snug at the back, comfortable, not overly heavy. It’s not the best shoe for rock gardens, but it’s okay.
The Pearl Izumi is my go-to for gnarlier trails. The rock plate works like a champ, but it makes running on smoother hardpack and tarmac feel kind of dead. It’s got more drop that I normally run with, but it’s great for descending.

Thanks. Shoes without much drop, especially if I don’t want thick soles, have gotten really hard to find. I used to wear New Balance Minimus, but they started making those narrower so they don’t fit anymore. I tried a pair from Altra and got knee pain. Vivo Barefoot works well for up to 20 miles, but after that, I need a little bit of cushion.

If I ever find the perfect pair, I am going to order 10 of them.