Towing a trailer, toll rates, and related misc

Anyone know what/how toll rates are calculated when towing a trailer loaded with a car?

And there’s no consensus on the best way to secure a vehicle - or is there?

Just got back from a long weekend at Watkins Glen race track, NY. Given the distance between DC area to upstate NY, and w/wife opting to come along, we decided to trailer the car, and bring a bunch of stuff in the truck bed.

First time towing a trailer w/the car, and during the drive wondered about toll rates. I figure my ez-pass was scanned by the toll gantries as usual, but there are now 3 vehicles going through.

Should I expect to get photo tickets for unpaid tolls? Do they just add an additional amount to my ez-pass account number? Or is it the same rate as a single car?

And in my prep for the trip and talking w/others on track, there are distinct camps on how to secure the vehicle. Seems like folks swear by their method of securing a vehicle, and swear against other methods. I assume several folks here that do this regularly may also be in one camp or another. Curious.

For ezpass the system will will compare the tag registration to the vehicle length and configuration and automatically correct for the correct toll charge. You don’t have to do anything, and you will not get a separate charge or ticket. Big Brother knows.

Is the trailer registered to you?

I rented a trailer a few years back to go pick up a zero turn mower from south Florida. I received an invoice rather than a direct charge to my account because the trailer tag was not associated with my transponder.

Be on the lookout for something in the mail if the trailer tag is not linked to your transponder.

Figured Big Brother is out there.

My ez-pass was actually moved from the car (on the trailer), onto the window of the tow vehicle. The tow vehicle was a rental. So the ez-pass tag wouldn’t correspond to the vehicle it’s associated with. But I think that’s still ok. Will monitor my ez-pass statements.

On the “trailer life” - my back of envelope math shows that for about 4 long-distance trips a season, I’d have to do this for about 10years before breaking even on not renting. Slippery slope either way.

Is the trailer registered to you?

I rented a trailer a few years back to go pick up a zero turn mower from south Florida. I received an invoice rather than a direct charge to my account because the trailer tag was not associated with my transponder.

Be on the lookout for something in the mail if the trailer tag is not linked to your transponder.

Nope, and no tags on trailer. The trailer was a u-haul rental. Tow vehicle (truck) was also a rental (Enterprise).

My ez-pass was actually moved from the car (on the trailer), onto the window of the tow vehicle. The tow vehicle was a rental. So the ez-pass tag wouldn’t correspond to the vehicle it’s associated with. But I think that’s still ok. Will monitor my ez-pass statements.

On the “trailer life” - my back of envelope math shows that for about 4 long-distance trips a season, I’d have to do this for about 10years before breaking even on not renting. Slippery slope either way.

I didn’t catch what you were doing, but now I understand. You have a personal vehicle on a U-Haul trailer that has a tag, and you have moved that tag to a rental vehicle that is pulling the trailer/car.

What I posted is correct for that situation. One tag is being read, and it is registered to a passenger vehicle, but on a commercial vehicle that is towing. The system will see the vehicle as commercial, note the length as towing something, and charge the tag appropriately.

I completely understand.

I have two utility trailers. One is a large one that came with my tractor and used to haul long lumber. The other is a small one that I use for smaller loads. I only use them locally.

I keep them maintained, but I still prefer to use rentals for long trips because I can call Uhaul if the tire blows or a bearing goes out. It is a small price to pay for the convenience of not having to worry about getting stranded with an expensive piece of equipment sitting on it.

Anyone know what/how toll rates are calculated when towing a trailer loaded with a car?

Just got back from a long weekend at Watkins Glen race track, NY. Given the distance between DC area to upstate NY, and w/wife opting to come along, we decided to trailer the car, and bring a bunch of stuff in the truck bed.

First time towing a trailer w/the car, and during the drive wondered about toll rates. I figure my ez-pass was scanned by the toll gantries as usual, but there are now 3 vehicles going through.

Should I expect to get photo tickets for unpaid tolls? Do they just add an additional amount to my ez-pass account number? Or is it the same rate as a single car?

And in my prep for the trip and talking w/others on track, there are distinct camps on how to secure the vehicle. Seems like folks swear by their method of securing a vehicle, and swear against other methods. I assume several folks here that do this regularly may also be in one camp or another. Curious.

Did you stick around Saturday night and do the fly by night duathlon?

I always thought that you weren’t allowed in the left lane if you were towing a trailer.

I saw that! I was about to head to the hotel when I saw folks walking in for that. I asked someone walking their bike in, what was going on, and that’s my other hobby. He said it’s a duathlon starting in 30mins. Encouraged me to sign up! But it was starting to rain/drizzle (again), and so I headed back to town / hotel / meet up w/wife.

Were you there and raced the du? (other forum stuff, I know).

I always thought that you weren’t allowed in the left lane if you were towing a trailer.

Stayed in the travel (middle) lane most of the time.
Highway portions were easiest parts of the drive.

It’s the in-town areas, and pulling into gas stations etc, that needs waaay more care and attention. Generous use of side view mirrors. And I’m glad I’m on a cul-de-sac. Knowing how to back up a trailer is very different than actually being able to back one up.

It always charged me plenty when I was towing horses. At least here it’s charged by axles (I assume on the ground).

https://www.e-470.com/toll-rates/

I always took the toll road when it was hot to avoid having a horse stuck in trailer with no air flow in downtown traffic on 100 degree pavement.

Next time, you can log into your ez pass account and add a temporary rental vehicle. My wife did that a week ago. Zero issues (but it was a rental Altima, not a truck)

Next time, you can log into your ez pass account and add a temporary rental vehicle. My wife did that a week ago. Zero issues (but it was a rental Altima, not a truck)

you beat me to it - You can add a rental vehicle to the EZ-Pass

In Illinois (and i assume its the same for other EZ-pass states) on the added vehicle, you can indicate the vehicle type (truck, auto, motorcycle) and also specify start and end dates of the rental - this way you won’t get charged for use by others when the rental period ends.

I’m confused. Why did you trailer an additional car? I know driving a uhaul around town is annoying but it seems like a minor annoyance compared to trailering a car. That seems like a major annoyance, having to trailer a car for a long distance.

I think you’ve got some good info re: ezpass.

As for locking the car down, i dunno if there’s any consensus, but this is what I do (and this was told to me by someone whom I consider far more knowledgeable in this area than I):

• chain/ strap points on the front of the car to the front of the trailer; 2 points, straight or angled, whatever is convenient
  • once those points are locked in/down, corner points on the rear, routed in an ‘X’ to the opposite ends/corners of the trailer; chain binders (or heavy-duty ratchet straps) to lock everything down tight
  • I cannot recall whether he preferred to bind the axles or the body: I think he preferred binding the body down so that the suspension wouldn’t have hundreds of miles of extra wear on it… I think…

How was the track?

• Jeff

More importantly, what were you doing at Watkins Glen?
Was this a track car you were transporting?

I saw that! I was about to head to the hotel when I saw folks walking in for that. I asked someone walking their bike in, what was going on, and that’s my other hobby. He said it’s a duathlon starting in 30mins. Encouraged me to sign up! But it was starting to rain/drizzle (again), and so I headed back to town / hotel / meet up w/wife.

Were you there and raced the du? (other forum stuff, I know).

Not this year. Conflicts with picking my son up at school. It is my favorite race of all time.

you beat me to it - You can add a rental vehicle to the EZ-Pass

In Illinois (and i assume its the same for other EZ-pass states) on the added vehicle, you can indicate the vehicle type (truck, auto, motorcycle) and also specify start and end dates of the rental - this way you won’t get charged for use by others when the rental period ends.

When renting cars (business or personal), I’ve always used my own ez-pass, and never added the rental car details to my ez pass account, even temporarily. Usually I don’t have rental vehicle details until I choose the car from National’s exec elite area, or Hertz Pres club spots, and then immediately drive to where I’m going. So not time to log in to my account, and add the car info. Hasn’t been a problem, and having tolls on my personal account makes timely expense reporting easy (vs. waiting for National or Hertz to send you toll bills over a series of weeks).

So far, no toll charges from this weekend are showing up on my account info.

Mother’s Day weekend. It’s Porsche day and then fly by night duathlon.

Edit. It’s not always just Porsche.