To the people that are canceling Netflix because of their 7 million donation to Harris

I get it, you are not a fan of Harris and you have every right to feel that way. Yes, you are welcome to “hit them where it hurts” by effecting their bottom line. Yes you can cancel to not support a business with your money for your reasons. But if you are canceling your Netflix account for that reason, please make sure to confirm you are not invested the the US total stock market, or S&P 500 as you would still be investing in Netflix.

But if it makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside, be my guest!

The donation was by Reed Hastings, not Netflix itself. Whether that distinction matters is a different question.

Are these the same people who “boycotted” Bud LIght? And then found out Kid Rock was drinking it and selling it in his bar?

I get it, you are not a fan of Harris and you have every right to feel that way. Yes, you are welcome to “hit them where it hurts” by effecting their bottom line. Yes you can cancel to not support a business with your money for your reasons. But if you are canceling your Netflix account for that reason, please make sure to confirm you are not invested the the US total stock market, or S&P 500 as you would still be investing in Netflix.

You’re comparing apples and oranges

I am hoping these same people start boycotting Costco since the founder is a democrat. I’d like for it to be less busy when I shop there

Eh, I can’t criticize. Home Depot is at least third on home improvement stores. Bernie Marcus hasn’t been CEO for over 20 years and he owns a very small percentage of the company.

But the subconscious steers my car to Menard’s and Lowes. It is convenient that Home Depot is the furthest from my house.

I get it, you are not a fan of Harris and you have every right to feel that way. Yes, you are welcome to “hit them where it hurts” by effecting their bottom line. Yes you can cancel to not support a business with your money for your reasons. But if you are canceling your Netflix account for that reason, please make sure to confirm you are not invested the the US total stock market, or S&P 500 as you would still be investing in Netflix. But if it makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside, be my guest!

the same fake boycott was launched at least once before, in retribution for obama deals with netflix. when i look at the data netflix users were up quarter over quarter for every quarter since 2014 and until now, save i think one quarter in 2022 where viewership was flat for a quarter. so, no. almost nobody is canceling netflix. a few whiners are saying they’re canceling netflix.

I am hoping these same people start boycotting Costco since the founder is a democrat. I’d like for it to be less busy when I shop there

Never gonna happen. Where else can you get a king-size bucket-o-pizza and 128 oz. sugar water for like tree fiddy?

Its ok, I just added another account, so some trumper can get even more stupid…

And not because I’m all that excited about Harris, but I’m very excited that Trump will not win now, so even donating to her campaign!! Something I haven’t done since the first Obama run, and before that, old Ronnie!!!

Next up: Kamala Harris Makes Appearance on ‘RuPaul’s Drag Race All Stars’ Season 9 Finale

I really appreciate this reasoning!

• Jeff

Here’s what I know: MAGAts love calling everyone snowflakes. But MAGAts get just as butthurt as the so called woke crowd.

The woke crowd and the MAGAts are equally snowflaky.

Is bringing Blockbuster back part of the larger MAGA agenda?

I get it, you are not a fan of Harris and you have every right to feel that way. Yes, you are welcome to “hit them where it hurts” by effecting their bottom line. Yes you can cancel to not support a business with your money for your reasons. But if you are canceling your Netflix account for that reason, please make sure to confirm you are not invested the the US total stock market, or S&P 500 as you would still be investing in Netflix. But if it makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside, be my guest!

the same fake boycott was launched at least once before, in retribution for obama deals with netflix. when i look at the data netflix users were up quarter over quarter for every quarter since 2014 and until now, save i think one quarter in 2022 where viewership was flat for a quarter. so, no. almost nobody is canceling netflix. a few whiners are saying they’re canceling netflix.

Meh… Just like the fake boycott we had with all the celebrities threatening to leave the US if Trump was elected… News flash people talk shit…

The donation was by Reed Hastings, not Netflix itself. Whether that distinction matters is a different question.

I think that distinction does matter. From what I read Hastings, while still a sitting board member, donated his own money in his own name. This was not, to my knowledge, done in the name of Netflix and will not show up in the donation schedule for Netflix’s 2024 tax return.

This is like if one of my high level employees donated their own money and people in the community started boycotting me bc of it.

People are fucking dumb. To quote West Wing as I often like to do: “Everyone is stupid in an election year”

I think that distinction does matter. From what I read Hastings, while still a sitting board member, donated his own money in his own name. This was not, to my knowledge, done in the name of Netflix and will not show up in the donation schedule for Netflix’s 2024 tax return.

This is like if one of my high level employees donated their own money and people in the community started boycotting me bc of it.

People are fucking dumb. To quote West Wing as I often like to do: “Everyone is stupid”
Fixed it for ya…

• Jeff

Here’s what I know: MAGAts love calling everyone snowflakes. But MAGAts get just as butthurt as the so called woke crowd.

I haven’t been able to determine if the fringe Right has adopted the language and tactics of the fringe Left as a legitimate strategy or merely as an attempt to mock.

The Emerging Bipartisan Wokeness | The Atlantic

I haven’t been able to determine if the fringe Right has adopted the language and tactics of the fringe Left as a legitimate strategy or merely as an attempt to mock.

The Emerging Bipartisan Wokeness | The Atlantic

They aren’t mocking. They’re just oblivious as to how they are pretty much the same, just with very different beliefs.

People are fucking dumb. To quote West Wing as I often like to do: “Everyone is stupid in an election year”

Hastings owns 1.25% of Netflix stock. So, for every $1 that a boycott hurts him, there is $83 of loss to other shareholders (plus possible injuries to employees). It’s a highly inefficient way to punish Hastings, with a lot of collateral damage.

https://www.fool.com/investing/how-to-invest/stocks/who-owns-netflix/

Whilst the point you make is logical, I think there is also room to acknowledge that your average person has very limited ability to express themselves politically in a meaningful way. The sums of money involved in the plutocracy that rules the US makes even choosing the candidates just a thin veneer of democracy. Essentially the populace is just accepting the plutocracy’s allowed candidates. I can see emotional merit in individuals being able to make an immediate and direct decision on how they spend their wealth in accordance with their views.

In this case it may be proven as misguided and emotional, but I find it hard to criticise compared to storming the Capitol, or occupying the central business district of a city…