Tires that are easy to remove off Roval Rapide CLX wheels?

So I’m riding my Specialized Tarmac SL7 with Roval Rapid CLX wheels (the first edition but think it’s the same rim shape as the current CLX II that is not officially tubeless) and get my first ever flat on the wheels. Running Conti GP5000s in 28mm with tubes. Go to remove the tire and I literally can’t. I don’t feel like I have particularly weak hands or grip strength but I could not get the bead to unseat from the rim. Maybe it would move a couple of mm in one spot but not enough to get a tire lever in there and it would snap back into place when I took the pressure off.

So Uber home. But now I have a dilemma: I am sure I can find a shop that can remove the tire through brute force, but I need the ability to change a tire road-side. I love my Contis but maybe I need to switch to a different tire brand / type / size? Any thoughts welcome.

So I’m riding my Specialized Tarmac SL7 with Roval Rapid CLX wheels (the first edition but think it’s the same rim shape as the current CLX II that is not officially tubeless) and get my first ever flat on the wheels. Running Conti GP5000s in 28mm with tubes. Go to remove the tire and I literally can’t. I don’t feel like I have particularly weak hands or grip strength but I could not get the bead to unseat from the rim. Maybe it would move a couple of mm in one spot but not enough to get a tire lever in there and it would snap back into place when I took the pressure off.

So Uber home. But now I have a dilemma: I am sure I can find a shop that can remove the tire through brute force, but I need the ability to change a tire road-side. I love my Contis but maybe I need to switch to a different tire brand / type / size? Any thoughts welcome.

I’ve always been able to remove the Specialized Turbo Cotton and S-Works Turbo by hand. I’m running the S-Works Mondo tubeless on the new CLXs that came with my SL8 (because of the kiawe thorns on the Big Island roads), but those ones I’m less confident about being able to remove purely by hand - they were a bear to get on.

Ian

Does your rim tape cover the bead hooks?

GP5K can be a bit on the tight side, vittorias are generally easier.

however i suspect your real issue is a lack of understanding how tubeless designed rims work (while not officially tubeless compatible, those rims were designed to be). you need to push the tire off the bead shelf all the way around, so it sits in the center channel. then it will be loose enough to get a lever under and pull it off

Agree, but in fairness to the OP I still find my MkII wheels tigher than a yorkshireman in a Scottish bar. Compared to both The Trek Aurelus and some Zipp Course 30s.

That said, I will repeat again that even the GP5000 S TR were easier after a couple on/offs. The first Vitttorias (Rubinos) I put on were also ‘tricky’. But in all cases, prior to tubes/sealant in there, put them on/off a couple of times to stretch them to make removing them in the field. As others have said on similar threads, warming the tyres slightly in the sun/hairdryer also help to do those initial fits. And although I’ve not used one the tyre jack tools seem to get good support for a workshop tool.

To be clear: I completely understand that that is what is supposed to be done. What I was trying to say is that it was not possible for me to do that. So I’m looking for a tire where it is possible for me to break the bead off the rim and push it into the central channel. And if I can’t find a tire that works, I’ll probably look for a different wheel.

Stopping now to refrain myself from a rant about how road tubeless is a solution in search of a problem that—due to the insanely tight fitment mentioned here—is now a problem for all of us happy clincher users…

I have stopped using continental tires for the reasons you have outlined. I know how modern tires/rims work and I have pretty tough hands. I now run bontrager r3 hard case light and their AW3 tire on bad weather bike. Both of these models easily fit on several rims, including some roval alpinist, hed, dt Swiss, and light bicycle rims. The specialized cotton turbo tires work well too. I know the bontrager r3 give up some watts and grams to the gp5000, but I happily accept the trade off.

I have the same bike and the same tires but 25 mm. It can be easily remove with basic tyre spoons.

Sorry to ask this, but this came up 2 weeks ago on a similar thread. And no offence to you, but just wanted to check. Are you using the non-TR version of the GP5000s or the GP5000S TR? I had both tyres and the TR is tighter than the non TR as you would perhaps expect.

I was going to run with tubes as I wasn’t convinced on tubeless road. However, I was travelling and short on time and so in the end a lack of tubes with long enough stems meant I got forced into tubeless. And I had some mares in the first few rides, but after that I got things sorted. Honestly, I didn’t notice anything improved in feel to start with, but once riding on familiar (crappy) roads then I could see the benefit of the lower pressure. But equally, at a Half in January (I was back on TT bike -latex tubed) there were many many DNF with mechanicals through punctures that couldn’t be fixed - way more than I’ve ever seen before. 20/400 entrants I’d guess. And the common thing seemed to be punctures on tubeless and people were totally reliant on teh sealant working with no plan B.

Anyway, jsut to confirm noting the initial approach to stretching, I’m getting GP500S TR on and off with saddlebag parktool levers on Roval CLX II wheels.

I’ve a Specialized Roubaix Expert with Roval CL38 wheels running Conti 5K TR tubeless (x30). Love them. So much so, that I noticed the wear indicator suggests I buy new ones soon. I believe I mounted them over a year ago and don’t recall anything unusual about the process other than I was so happy they lock in with one shot of CO2 because I’m a veteran of many battles with earlier wheelsets trying to go tubeless. My take is they fit PERFECT!

some tires (not many) can be impossibly tight. I have resorted to a vise a couple times to break the bead on a tight tire. I did see a video from specialized somewhere recently where they were showing how to use a through axle to get a tight tire off the bead. And it seems like it would work as a last resort.