Threaded bottom bracket

I’ve owned 3 Cervelo bikes (2007 R3, 2009 R3, and 2012 R5ca) and the creaking press-fit bottom bracket on the r5ca has been a constant source of frustration.

As many have noted, the design of the press-fit bb used on most modern frames is fundamentally flawed, and I can not bring myself to buy another frame with it. Mechanics at several shops have complained that 10 years ago they saw 0 BB issues and now it is among their most common issues. For shame!

So my questions is:
-Have you reached the same level of frustration and what was your solution? I’m looking at frames with the new T47 standard such as Argonaut or the Pinarello F8 with italian threaded bb.

I’ve looked at aftermarket solutions like bbinfinite, praxis, and wheels manufacturing and these have worked for some but not all. For example, the R5ca frame does not accomodate them (due to a shoulder in the bb shell) and my friend with a bbinfinite installed on a new Cervelo R5 has the same creaking as before.

Help! Thanks!

I like English threaded bottom brackets.

I’ve owned 3 Cervelo bikes (2007 R3, 2009 R3, and 2012 R5ca) and the creaking press-fit bottom bracket has been a constant source of frustration.

As many have noted, the design of the press-fit bb used on most modern frames is fundamentally flawed, and I can not bring myself to buy another frame with it. Mechanics at several shops have complained that 10 years ago they saw 0 BB issues and now it is among their most common issues. For shame!

So my questions is:
-Have you reached the same level of frustration and what was your solution? I’m looking at frames with the new T47 standard such as Argonaut or the Pinarello F8 with italian threaded bb.

I’ve looked at aftermarket solutions like bbinfinite, praxis, and wheels manufacturing and these have worked for some but not all. For example, the R5ca frame does not accomodate them (due to a shoulder in the bb shell) and my friend with a bbinfinite installed on a new Cervelo R5 has the same creaking as before.

Help! Thanks!

Isn’t your R5ca direct fit? And aren’t both R3’s threaded?

I like English threaded bottom brackets.

Yes. They were the pinnacle of BB design. It’s been a downhill slide since.

thanks for your insights james. you are right the R5ca has bbright bb30 bottom bracket that directly takes the bearings without a sleeve. its an extra wide shell with that accomodates bb30 bearings (BBright’s 79mm shell is 11mm wider than a typical BB30) i’ve attached a photo showing the bb shell–there is a shoulder on the back of the bearing seat that precludes the use of a sleeve like bbinfinite. i don’t recall what the r3’s had but you are probably right there also.

what do you think about removing the shoulder portion of the bb shell with a dremel tool?

IMG_6193small.jpg

I have to agree with you there. my commuter 1986 Trek 520 has had the same cartridge Shimano XT BB for 15 year, daily use. no problems ever

I have used Loctite medium strength bearing compound on my R5ca on the BB bearings when fitting them. This was the product recommended on one of my previous BBs (maybe BBinfinte for my P3?), and it worked a treat, with zero creaking from my R5ca BB. I can’t help but think that it is a flawed system though.

I agree with you - I and many other in the business don’t like the press-fit BB’s.

In our house we have both - my bike an older model Cervelo R3, and my wife’s TT bike an older model P3 - threaded BB’s. My wife’s road bike is a new Cervelo S3 with a press-fit. The BB’s on the bikes with the threaded BB’s seem to last forever - and we ride a lot! The press-fit BB needs constant work.

We installed the Wheels Mfg, “thru piece” BB on the S3 and that seemed to help matters a bit.

I just don’t get it either. My road bike and CX bike have threaded bottom brackets. I upgraded from a cheap FSA Mega-Exo (19mm spindle) to a BB386. If I can have an external BB shell with a 30mm spindle…why do all these pressfit standards exist?

I just don’t get it either. My road bike and CX bike have threaded bottom brackets. I upgraded from a cheap FSA Mega-Exo (19mm spindle) to a BB386. If I can have an external BB shell with a 30mm spindle…why do all these pressfit standards exist?

Warranty on lightweight frames.

BSA BBs on lightweight frames used to get flaked paint and other issues (eg. cracks) around the threads. This caused a lot of warranty claims for different manufacturers.

PF moves the problem away from the frame, and allow the manufactures to claim lower weight since the alu thread inserts are gone.

Loctite 609 retaining compound and Loctite 7649 primer. Loctite 609 is made for exactly this application. It can account for up to 5 mils in frame manufacturing tolerance and is designed for removal. No problems on my BB30 frame using the Loctite.