This or That Cervelo bike question

If you could get new Cervelo P series with 105 and stock wheels or a 2014 Cervelo P5 with aero wheels and SRAM red which should you pick. Both are about 3K

I have a 2014 P5-6 with SRAM Red, bought new. Have used with 8.9 Enves at Kona and also use a newer HED disc for short course events. Also have a close relationship with my bike shop who carries Cervelo. The older P5s set up properly are still one of the fastest bikes out there. Is the one you are considering a P5-6 or 3? What kind of wheels? Do you have a pic of the bike showing the cockpit set up? Have you seen the 2014 in person to verify condition? $3k is pretty cheap for a P5-6 with good race wheels.

Bike shop is selling it. Some cosmetic scratches on seat post. Got it for 1600. I have HED Jet 60 and Disc and Fizik saddle. Should work

1 Like

Get the new one and upgrade the wheels ASAP.

Thats the P5-3. Has exposed cables, exposed front brake, and thinner front fork. The P5-6 also came with a 52 tooth Rotor crank. You must be 6-3 or taller to ride a 58 frame? I’m 5-11 and mines a 54. But $1600 from a bike shop (who will give you a warranty?) not a bad price. This is what the P5-6 looks like.

What I would worry about is the Magura brakes. I don’t think you can get spare parts anymore, so if anything happens you only logical choice is to go to a TriRig brake. That is a nice bike for 1600, but you are still a long way from getting it really dialed in.

If it were me, I would go with the new P series. A lot of the new version carries over from the P5 with a more basic cockpit and training wheels. The common thread amongst all new Tt/Tri bikes is that the stock cockpits belong in the garbage can. With a little creativity you can put together a really nice clean cockpit. Add a mid-level set of wheels, like the HED Vanquish (especially when they are on sale) and you are probably faster and more comfortable than if you bought a P5.

My bike fitter wanted me to get an uncomplicated cockpit so I could be fit easier. I guess I have long legs compared to torso or something.
The final deciding factor for me was the fact that I have HED Jets I can use with the P5/magura.

We need another post about being married to a spouse who does not like this sport or the money spent on it. : (

Thanks for advice!

Seems like you’d already made up your mind given the short timeframe from original posting. Why bother this forum if you’d already decided???

I hadn’t actually. I was sold on the P series but saw the deal on P5. Still like learning though. I am getting a bit of buyers remorse from you guys and literally just won the eBay thing. But still like learning from the community

Easy, the new P Series. Why buy an outdated bike, zero resale.

Depends what you’re upgrading from but I’d go with the newer p series. For reference I have a 2014 p3 that I’m looking to upgrade

I agree with others stating to upgrade. Brand new with warranty vs. a used 14? Get the aero wheels later if that is the issue. But warranty always trumps a 10 year old bike in my opinion. Especially since they are the same price.

How about this…brand new car with generic rims or 10 year old used car with upgraded alloy wheels…at the SAME price? Seems like an easy decision to me!

1 Like

Well, not quite the same analogy. For example, my 2014 P5-6 has needed zero repairs or major adjustments needed over the past 10 years. No brake adjustments, nothing. The bike has been bulletproof. But it has been cared for and religously maintained. Agree, an issue could be finding parts if repairs needed but my bike shop Cervelo dealer claims the older P5-6 is still faster than the newer lower end “P” models. Pros and cons here either way.

1 Like