The worst Olympic sports

1. Racewalking
  2. Dressage (or pretty much any sport that includes horses)
  3. Artistic swimming
  1. Racewalking
  3. Artistic swimming

Would depend on definition of “worst” but the sports I’d like to see removed would be basketball, baseball, soccer. They have their own events which are bigger and more important within those sports.

I’ll check it out for a few minutes, but am preemptively adding… Hip Hop.

(should not belong in the Olympics).

I agree on baseball (how many countries actually play this?). Kind of on basketball (though it has gotten so much more global since the dream team in 92). I do like soccer in the Olympics since it is such a global sport. I like that they have the age rules (I think they are still in place?) that means the men’s teams are often quite different than the world cup squads

I agree on baseball (how many countries actually play this?). Kind of on basketball (though it has gotten so much more global since the dream team in 92). I do like soccer in the Olympics since it is such a global sport. I like that they have the age rules (I think they are still in place?) that means the men’s teams are often quite different than the world cup squads

Yes still in place for the men. It’s basically an U23 tournament, but each nation is allowed 3 senior players. I’d guess this is why it’s not a very big deal for the men. The women seem to make a lot of it.

I’m not a fan of any of the sports were the scoring is done by judges.

Would depend on definition of “worst” but the sports I’d like to see removed would be basketball, baseball, soccer. They have their own events which are bigger and more important within those sports.

There are other sports with bigger events in their own sport (golf, men’s road cycling, tennis) and I wouldn’t mind if those were removed also.

Other sports with a professional circuit (triathlon, beach volleyball etc.) still have the Olympics as a pinnacle so I have far more interest in those than the ones noted above.

It’s impossible to determine which sport is “worst” as it depends on your involvement but I am fine with introducing new sports that have mass appeal even if I have no interest in them.

I’m not a fan of any of the sports were the scoring is done by judges.

This.

Speed. Height. Length. Those are objective things that I can understand.

Whether or not one executed the triple schnitzel to the satisfaction of the Eastern block judges just does nothing for me.

I don’t like scoring sports either. That being said I really like watching gymnastics itself. Just super impressive what those guys and gals are able to do

I don’t like scoring sports either. That being said I really like watching gymnastics itself. Just super impressive what those guys and gals are able to do

Without the scoring sports, you’re left with about 3 different Olympic events. Even weightlifting has a pretty strong judge factor.

I think in the judging sports, they get it right most of the time. Most.

Without the scoring sports, you’re left with about 3 different Olympic events. Even weightlifting has a pretty strong judge factor.

Could go back to the Olympic motto of Faster, Higher, Stronger… as criteria for inclusion. That aligns with objective ways to determine a winner, and gets rid of the judging a winner stuff (like hip hop this time).

Whenever I have this 4-year debate w/my friends, it’s also pointed out that even in objectively scored sports, there’s also often a judged element (the ref’s call) that can sway the outcome -favorably or not, depending on your fandom. So there’s always a subjective judgment call anyway. Or goes their argument. My response is ok, but it can’t just be subjective in determining a winner.

1. Racewalking
    3) Artistic swimming

If they added a Cannonball or bellyflop event we would all tune in.

1. Racewalking
    3) Artistic swimming

Both of those, and combine it with beer chugging. Would be way more interesting than a regular triathlon!

We come across this every 4 years. There are relatively few sports that don’t have some degree of subjective judging in them somewhere.

It has come to my attention that skateboarding became an olympic sport in 2020, so I’ll nominate that as one of the worst.

If the sport pays its athletes it should not be in the Olympics. If I can sit down on a Saturday or Sunday and see it on TV during its specified season, it should not be in the Olympics. If Lebron James wants to go to the Olympics and complete in the high jump, fucking great! I’d tune in. But he and the Team USA basketball team have no business playing basketball in the Olympics.

I’ll second dressage as a bad sport. Now have the riders shoot archery at a gallop and I’m all in.

not sure if it’s been mentioned yet, but any sport that’s judged. It’s not that the participants are not athletic, they damn sure are, but judging is too subjective. I’ll admit, even admitting that, I make a point to watch gymnastics (mens and womens) as well as figure skating in the winter. I’m in awe of their abilities, but more in the sense of I’m in awe of the Cirque du Soleil acrobats.

The Triple Lindy!!

If the sport pays its athletes it should not be in the Olympics.

So, you want to go back to the time where the amateur rules were instituted to only allow upper-class participants, who didn’t need the income from their sport, and block the lower-class participants who couldn’t afford to be amateur athletes.

1. Racewalking
    3) Artistic swimming

Add Norwegian “death diving” (Dods) and I’m all over it!

It has come to my attention that skateboarding became an olympic sport in 2020, so I’ll nominate that as one of the worst.

Break Dancing.