The Spoilers-Vuelta 2024

The Gnar is flying today in the tour de Wout.

Oddball stage, ending in a sprint.

So…also fun fact: if you click the gear icon you can create spoiler content for the post.

so if you don’t want to see who won, here you go.

1 Like

Nice.

Groves is such a well-rounded sprinter who climbs well. I’d love to see him at le Tour.

I was looking at the profile for tomorrow and seeing only last 2.9km Cuitu Negru @ 13% being super dangerous for BenO’ but then noticed the two assents of Alto de la Colladiella have 4km in middle over 9%
think Roglic will go with 6km to finish when it hits 11.7 for 1k

Whoa - this luddite needed a few days to figure out how to get to this beloved bike racing thread. I’m sure there are Vuelta topics from the before times that might incite a comment or two (how did McNulty slide under a guard rail? / where did he land? / did he get rabies? mad cow? or just some scratches? wow. // Ben OC’s lead over Primoz is looking fallible but can Mas/Landa/Paz/Others? Gall? overhaul Ben for podium?)… but stage 15 beckons…
I agree that double climb of Colla looks tough - but I have to think Primoz only cares about applying pressure close to finish. I think it’s up to Paz, Landa, Mas to apply pressure earlier. Day before rest day/ ‘only’ 140k or so/ 3rd-11th only 2:20 apart - should be a heck of a stage!
I think Bora will start assuming team pacing duties - not letting a break get way up there. I also think battle for podium will mean fast gc riders pace from WAY out. Primoz over Skjel and Landa. Ben OC to limit damage to slide into 2nd. looking forward to it!

Tomorrow looks absolutely savage, and a make-or-break for a bunch of the GC guys.

I’d love for Ben to hold on to the full Paz Giro maneuver for a GC win and I also want a Mas miracle. Landismo and Mas will be cracking Rog…unlikely, but let’s do it.

I want to see the Paz on the move. Up.
No Mas was hurting. looking for him to slide but hope not. He’s ridden so well.
Bora keeps chipping away, keeping guys around Primotime, not gunning it too soon.

Came back from dog walk and holy $hizzle - game on.
this will take a toll - i’m guessing big gaps with this kind of racing.

Vamos Pablo in the break again. Dude has WT chops.

George Bennett is a cheeky monkey. He could be the George Jefferson of the day. (Moving on up.)

Elsewhere, Puck won the XCO World Championship, to go along with Tour stage.

Ben O is going to be or should be fined for taking a leak in the middle of town. A local senora had a front row view of it. Not good optics.

Gotta empty the bottle before the climb.

Everybody having a solid day.

Those riders look like their souls have left their bodies. What a climb and a win.

I don’t know how they didn’t just tip over after the finish line. This was a heromaker stage today, what an effort from the front of the pack.

When do we hear the news of Castrillo to Visma / UAE?

I don’t know how they were upright either. That climb looks hateful.

Movistar is gonna sign him real quick

Epic pain face battle today. Respect to Castrillo and Vlasov.

that climb is why i like watching the vuelta. it seems like asturias/cantabria have a lot of those 24%ers and the organizers always find some every vuelta. this grand tour exposes teams who choose their gearing poorly (or suppliers that don’t offer low enough gears). with the advent of 12sp shimano finally got down to 1:1 gearing. with new SRAM RED even lower, 33x36, altho you’ll suffer a little on the top end if you choose that. even with these really low gears it seemed to me not all riders put low enough gears on their bikes for this stage.

1 Like