The Sam Laidlow DQ from the horses mouth

Here we go…
https://youtu.be/cXajxOdExBM?si=M6R_9vea7xcOBT0a

He doesn’t actually say “I screwed up”

“The ref spoke English but she was Spanish, I thought it was a warning”
“I didn’t see the penalty tent”
“It was Reuben’s erratic pacing”
“It was Orange, quickly turned blue and quickly red and back to blue, so it only flashed”

Interesting colour selection for the race ranger thingy…orange is safe, blue warning, green trouble ?

Psychologically, why? Our brains are constantly trained to worry about orange-red-yellow but to chill about green and blue…

Maybe blue or green should be good, orange be careful and red you are in the draft zone, you have to pass.

I am more curious about this statement on the final slide:

“Sam did not however claim this 2nd position, nor the prize money or points towards the end of year ranking.”

Surely they were not offered to him with a DQ.

Sharon

“It was Orange, quickly turned blue and quickly red and back to blue, so it only flashed”
Clearly he doesn’t think he screwed up.

I’m shocked

Interesting colour selection for the race ranger thingy…orange is safe, blue warning, green trouble ?

Psychologically, why? Our brains are constantly trained to worry about orange-red-yellow but to chill about green red.

Maybe blue or green should be good, orange be careful and red you are in the draft zone, you have to pass.

It would be cool if race ranger had an attachment to display warning lights on your glasses or visor. Then each person could configure their own colors.

I was sort of hoping he’d be “moving house while the official was showing the blue card” or something entertaining. He does say “I did everything right except for not noticing the tent and not communicating well with the referee”. For Sam Laidlow’s standards, it’s an absolute admission of guilt. That’s all you’re gonna get until he’s grown up a bit.

I am more curious about this statement on the final slide:

“Sam did not however claim this 2nd position, nor the prize money or points towards the end of year ranking.”

Surely they were not offered to him with a DQ.

Sharon

Yeah, I didn’t claim the $$$ in 2024 for all the Nvidia stock I sold in 2016. I want my cake dammit !!!

"It was Orange, quickly turned blue and quickly red and back to blue, so it only flashed"Clearly he doesn’t think he screwed up.@kajet said: he does say “I did everything right” and they penalised me! . . . (rings a bell?)

It does sound as if the ref saw the RR red flashing (as the pair/three came out of a dip), observed that Laidlow didn’t pass and “got all the cards out” and Laidlow “thought it was a warning”.
Comment: We saw as clear as day, live/replay, the moto ref immediately presenting him with a blue card and Laidlow arguing the toss. So did he continue to think “it was a warning”?
If he did think it was just a warning, then why was he looking for the penalty tent? Because he apparently didn’t see it (a few km later) “I naturally missed it” because there were people “in front of it” and it was where the second lap began and the amateurs were all ‘joining’ the course (so extra congested). One might assume he didn’t see it because he wasn’t looking for it (so how did he know why he “couldn’t see it” (Bike course had the PTs marked btw).
If If he thought, after mature reflection, that it was a 5 minute penalty, and we heard about more chat with the ref on Lap 2, why didn’t he stop at the next PT? Who knows?
“Reuben’s was more blocking than drafting.”
Comment: Well get back a bit more, out of the zone where the orange light shows up, if you find you can’t rely on the bloke in front maintaining a steady pace. Would you choose to ride on the wheel of a bloke in a club/group ride whose skills seem ‘variable’?
Finally, he said “I didn’t know you couldn’t protest a draft penalty ‘in Spain’. I wish they’d told me!”
This is an Ironman Competition rule (race venue/country has zero to do with it). Don’t blame Spain.
The organisers should not have even accepted/allowed him to file his protest (see (c) below) if the protest was against the penalty. But I shall assume it was against the DQ for not serving it at the first PT he passed.
https://cdn1.sportngin.com/...on_March_14_2024.pdf

3.06 (b) No protest may be filed with respect to matters which were observed by or
previously ruled upon by a Race Referee. No person may file a protest which requires
a judgment call. A “judgment call,” as used in these Competition Rules, means the
resolution of a dispute involving one or more material facts that cannot be
determined with certainty solely through the production of tangible physical
evidence. The term “judgment call” shall include but shall not be limited to a
resolution of:
(i) any purported violation of the cycling position foul rules (including alleged
drafting violations);
(ii) allegations of blocking, obstruction, or interference; or
(iii) allegations of unsportsmanlike conduct.
3.06 (c) Appeals by athletes penalized for judgment calls will not be considered.

I was sort of hoping he’d be “moving house while the official was showing the blue card” or something entertaining. He does say “I did everything right except for not noticing the tent and not communicating well with the referee”. For Sam Laidlow’s standards, it’s an absolute admission of guilt. That’s all you’re gonna get until he’s grown up a bit.

Ya, I didn’t know that athletes were supposed to “communicate well” with referees. Aren’t they supposed to see the penalty card and then proceed to the next penalty tent and pretty much not say anything back to the referee? But there is some tension with France and some people in the Basque region so I always do wonder when you see certain penalties happen if certain officials are just itching to give a penalty.

No argument from me whatsoever. The comment about an athlete not being able to contest a drafting call “in Spain”, as if this was a Spanish invention and unbeknownst to the PROs, was particularly perplexing.

No argument from me whatsoever. The comment about an athlete not being able to contest a drafting call “in Spain”, as if this was a Spanish invention and unbeknownst to the PROs, was particularly perplexing.

Sam long penalty at worlds 70.3.

American, bull shit, it’s fixed. Sam would never get a penalty. Sam I didn’t do it.

Lionel penalty at worlds 70.3 .

American bull shit, it’s fixed. Sam would never get a penalty. I didn’t do it.

Lange penalty in kona .

He’s a cheat can’t win without cheating in the pack.

Sam laidlow , I didn’t do it.

He’s a cheat can’t win without cheating drafting in a pack.

Tribalism is so high in America.

Everyone calls Hernandez a cheat on social media post Texas marathon but foley is just grinding to the top after lake placid.

Is anyone objective anymore. I blame rocky movies and top gun.

Maybe because Foley did 7,55 not 7,25 on debut. Women are close to 8 hours at Roth

Sam long penalty at worlds 70.3.

American, bull shit, it’s fixed. Sam would never get a penalty. Sam I didn’t do it.

Lionel penalty at worlds 70.3 .

American bull shit, it’s fixed. Sam would never get a penalty. I didn’t do it.

Lange penalty in kona .

He’s a cheat can’t win without cheating in the pack.

Everyone calls Hernandez a cheat on social media post Texas marathon but foley is just grinding to the top after lake placid.

Is anyone objective anymore. I blame rocky movies and top gun.
Yep,it is so blatant here that it is funny.

There has hardly been a word said about the three podium guys at the 70.3 World last year because why? It is almost like the race didn’t happen. Very similar with the San Fran T100.

Laidlow and Lange have both won the Ironman Worlds but they get almost no respect here. Lange is a drafting cheat and Laidlow is just an asshole Frenchman who “never speaks French”.

Sanders doesn’t win a single Ironman in over six years and people act as if he on par with Frodo.

Mind boggling.

How would I know - I’ve spent a whopping 5 weeks of my life in the U.S., and last time I went was 2011.

People all over the world are shaking their heads at Laidlow’s “mishaps”. You have a gripe with that, there’s a thread somewhere in this forum for people in bad mood which I can’t find at the moment.

How would I know - I’ve spent a whopping 5 weeks of my life in the U.S., and last time I went was 2011.

People all over the world are shaking their heads at Laidlow’s “mishaps”. You have a gripe with that, there’s a thread somewhere in this forum for people in bad mood which I can’t find at the moment.

I didn’t mean to reply to you but social media in general.

We have no video of any of these incidents yet people form their option based off popularity and nationality.

We want strict penalties, oh not that strict I like that guy.

Yet t100 they let so much slide. No problem.

Maybe because Foley did 7,55 not 7,25 on debut. Women are close to 8 hours at Roth

Do you know how difficult those two race courses are .

Texas is a pancake and lake placid is a roller coaster on both the bike and run.

Yes women did 8 hours at Roth and the winner at lake placid did 9 . Difference in course ( and haug)

Again I am not accusing but when an America is great they are great when others are great they must be cheating or trying to draft or pack riding etc .

There is no doubt some truth to what you say. People naturally assume their side has all the virtue and the other side has all the cheats.

But let’s be honest, tribalism wasn’t invented by Americans. If anything, the USA has been an outlier up until very recently perhaps for being among the least tribalistic nations (within certain parameters) via the whole melting pot concept.