The Race We Try To Do Slowly And Finish Last ..... Aging

Hello All,

How do we slow aging and postpone death?

According to Runner’s World … exercise can help slow the natural decline in telomere length and number … that happens as people age.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC10572212/

Telomeres are the caps at the ends of chromosomes that protect DNA from deterioration.

A study by Runner’s World found that adults who jogged or ran 75 minutes or more per week had longer telomeres than those who didn’t run regularly.

Another study found that the most physically active group had longer telomeres, and their cells appeared almost nine years younger than those of the sedentary group.

The latest study found that 75 minutes of jogging/running per week versus not running at all resulted in a 'biological age difference of approximately 12 years in favor of runners.

Other strategies to protect telomeres and slow aging includes:…

Eating a plant-rich diet with fiber, antioxidants, vitamins, and phytonutrientsDecreasing oxidative stress and inflammation in the body

A study of 834 cyclists who competed in the Tour de France between 1930 and 1964 found that they had a 17% longer average lifespan than the general population. The study also found that cyclists who complete at least one Tour de France live an average of 6.3 years longer than the average Frenchman. The study’s main finding was that well-trained cyclists who perform repeated intense exercise can prolong their lifespan.

The Tour de France Cyclist Study may be a bit more complicated than just exercise promoting longevity as pro cyclists are caloric restricted (CR) and that may be a marker for a longer lifespan.

https://www.joelaverick.com/p/disordered-eating-in-pro-cycling

https://www.thelancet.com/article/S0140-6736(11)60908-2/fulltext

https://www.salk.edu/science/research/aging-and-regenerative-medicine/news/ Several articles on aging research …

What do you think?

IMHO, studies can be manipulated to prove almost anything you want them to.

While exercise might help you live longer, it will definitely enable you to live better.

“According to Runner’s World …”
“A study by Runner’s World …”

I’d make a disclaimer that it doesn’t look like RW conducted the study, they just shared it

Which is fine, as their original content is usually complete crap

Thanks for sharing, though

Yes, it’s definitely health span over life span. I’ve been reading a lot about VO2 max having a strong correlation with longer health span. Although it’s probably confirmation bias on my part, who doesn’t like studies that align with what they’re doing!

Although I believe these results, correlation doesn’t equal causation. There are literally a million variables that can skew these results. Things like sleep patterns, diet, drinking habits, smoking can all play a significant role in overall lifespan and biologic age. Just my $.02.

I have a couple of observations and thoughts:

1. Aging is NOT one thing.
    But it is NOT everything either. (Or at least not everything, all at once).
    It is many things, sometimes.
    It is only a couple of things, other times.

2. Aging is instability - as many things decline simultaneously.
    Aging is a lack of resilience- as the things that correct imbalance, also malfunction.

3. High VO2Max - is a good indicator of longevity.
    But is it cause or effect?
    My father ran 1:35 half marathon at 70, a 27 minute 5k at 75 and was dead at 80.
    His VO2MAX was good!
    Until it wasn’t!

4. Other indicators of longevity - balance, leg strength, grip strength - same question.
    Are they cause or effect.

5. It seems obvious to me that wanting to live long is very, very important.
    But again there is a cause and effect problem.

6. it’s important to accept reality.:
    That there is decline in certain systems.
    This us key in trying to use the none- failing systems to repair the problem ones.
    This requires an open mind, mental and emotional flexibility.
    Yet these are also attributes that can decline with age.

7. Young people die in car accidents, and sometimes die of cancer.
    The longer we live the more hazards we are exposed to.
    Activity is very important for happiness and for our regenerative abilities.
    Points here:
    A) Don’t mistake an “accident” for failing health.
    Don’t make bad decisions based on a misdiagnoses.
    B) Inactivity will surely increase that rapidity of decline.
    C) Accidents will eventually get you - if decline does not.
    But your chances of an accident today is pretty small.
    Whereas more rapid decline is certain if you lie around all due.

On the other hand

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ‘Wow! What a Ride!’” - HST

YMMV

Saw a pic from a car show last week. The car was a 1926 Ford Model T, beautifully restored/maintained. It had a sign (in period type-setting, BTW, as an especially-nice touch) that read “I hope YOU look this good when you’re THIS OLD”

Last year, after moving back to Utah, I tried to find a riding club that like to climb. I sort of did that as the Utah Velo Club climbed over the Alpine Loop each week. Not a bunch of hardcore folks but the big take-away is the ride leader Stan, who is 85 years old. He’s not super fast, but he gets up over the 3,000 foot climb with the others and HE IS 85!

It made me feel a lot better about being 50-something. If I can ride 45 miles with climbing every Thursday, I’ll be happy to keep on going at 85.

I was fortunate to work a career of 41 years with the same company and mostly in the same building. Many of the employees had a similar profile as me mostly because it was a great place to work. In the last part of my career there several of my coworkers passed or were impacted by serious illness so much so that we (the employees) had management do a study on the building to see if there was in correlation (nothing found).

I’m sure I was the most “active” employee in that building and I did have a bout with cancer (prostate) and it was successfully treated. Others weren’t as fortunate.

I guess the point I’m trying to make is that for the people that passed that I knew well I thought that “stress” was the major contributor to their demise. They didn’t seem to have a healthy coping mechanism for it.

If it wasn’t for my daily exercise (training) regime I believe that “stress” would have gotten the better of me and I wouldn’t be enjoying retirement today had I not followed a stress releasing routine throughout those stressful years of my life (30-65).

For some of us the mental benefits (endorphins) of physical activity are just as important as the physical aspects.

On the other hand

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ‘Wow! What a Ride!’” - HST

YMMV

Saw a pic from a car show last week. The car was a 1926 Ford Model T, beautifully restored/maintained. It had a sign (in period type-setting, BTW, as an especially-nice touch) that read “I hope YOU look this good when you’re THIS OLD”

A key difference- is that the human body can repair itself, and it gets better at repairing itself the more often it does so.

On the car metaphor…

What good is a car that is old in years but young in miles? It’s not like the inactive car gets to spend it’s extra days reading books around the pool.
A car really only comes to life in movement.

I suppose it is the car that makes it to 800,000 miles with minimal replacements- that we should seek to emulate.

I don’t like cars much. My cars rarely live beyond 200,000 miles.

I do like my life though!
I think that attention to details might help me maximize both the quantity and quality of the miles.

I have a couple of observations and thoughts:

1. Aging is NOT one thing.
    But it is NOT everything either. (Or at least not everything, all at once).
    It is many things, sometimes.
    It is only a couple of things, other times.

2. Aging is instability - as many things decline simultaneously.
    Aging is a lack of resilience- as the things that correct imbalance, also malfunction.

3. High VO2Max - is a good indicator of longevity.
    But is it cause or effect?
    My father ran 1:35 half marathon at 70, a 27 minute 5k at 75 and was dead at 80.
    His VO2MAX was good!
    Until it wasn’t!

4. Other indicators of longevity - balance, leg strength, grip strength - same question.
    Are they cause or effect.

5. It seems obvious to me that wanting to live long is very, very important.
    But again there is a cause and effect problem.

6. it’s important to accept reality.:
    That there is decline in certain systems.
    This us key in trying to use the none- failing systems to repair the problem ones.
    This requires an open mind, mental and emotional flexibility.
    Yet these are also attributes that can decline with age.

7. Young people die in car accidents, and sometimes die of cancer.
    The longer we live the more hazards we are exposed to.
    Activity is very important for happiness and for our regenerative abilities.
    Points here:
    A) Don’t mistake an “accident” for failing health.
    Don’t make bad decisions based on a misdiagnoses.
    B) Inactivity will surely increase that rapidity of decline.
    C) Accidents will eventually get you - if decline does not.
    But your chances of an accident today is pretty small.
    Whereas more rapid decline is certain if you lie around all due.I mean this with sensitivity and respect but it is really really hard for me to understand how your dad died at 80 when he ran a 1:35 half at 70 and a 27 min 5K at 75. I mean those are very good times. I get we are all mortal, but I am a fit older guy and this gives me pause.

I mean this with sensitivity and respect but it is really really hard for me to understand how your dad died at 80 when he ran a 1:35 half at 70 and a 27 min 5K at 75. I mean those are very good times. I get we are all mortal, but I am a fit older guy and this gives me pause.

I have some theories…

1. He had great VO2MAX.
    Until he didn’t!
    He was probably more talent- than hard work and persistence. (Although he did value his daily runs).
    He started to get arthritis and a specific heart problem.
    Doctors told him to stop run training. “Exercise instead” - they told him.
    My father then took up “cycling” and “went to the gym.”
    (But unless you have an organized, and measurable process - you are probably just fooling around and making excuses).

2. Weak mind, weak body - my father didn’t like conflict and didn’t want to be a rebel.
    He did what he was told!
    He ate Jenny Craig TV dinners, rice cakes and salads.
    He didn’t do weird stuff like eat exotic vegetables, or meats. Didn’t do his own “research” on his health problems.

3. Worry - he worried about lots of things he couldn’t change.
    Whereas, the many things that he could change - ditch his greedy selfish wives, read, travel, make his own friends, be his own person - he didn’t think to do any of those things.

Perhaps…

You can live long if:

1. Traditional life imposes physical activity, good nutrition and a “simple life” upon you. (And you don’t die from avoidable cause).

2. You are “easy going” but have good common sense. You “listen to your body” - and find a truly active lifestyle, with good diet and good stress management

3. Or you might be a rebel. You might tell marketed fake activity, packaged diets and manufactured worries- to f#ck off!!!

But:

1. If you primary do what you are told-
    Eventually your good choices will be taken away from you. You will become - just another sick old person - watching TV, walking on the treadmill, taking prescription drugs and worrying about whatever Fox (or CNN) tells you to worry about…
    You might not live long like that!!
    You might not want to!!

Things like sleep patterns, diet, drinking habits, smoking can all play a significant role in overall lifespan and biologic age. Just my $.02. //

Well you just basically described traits of the exact opposite of an active lifestyle here. My guess is that most all of us do quite well in all of these categories you listed, and I dont know anyone who smokes!!! (-;

But yes those are the biggies along with a couple others, regular exercise being the other one it appears…

Ed whitlock ran a world record 3:56 marathon at age 85 (slow for him, actually), then passed away sadly at age 86. (Dude ran a 2:56 at age 72)

Yes Ed had a tremendously fit life, up until the time cancer got him. And cancer can get anyone at anytime, who is to say that his health did not give him an extra couple decades of life form the couch potato counterpart life that most guys his age live…

I look around at guys my age and the ones that are not athletes I’m amazed that we are the same age. I will be going to my 50 year reunion this year, probably a 1/4 of the group dead already, and from the picks I see, not a long time for most of the rest of them. It is actually sad to see how badly they have aged, virtually all of them overweight, over half obese.

Like I tell people, how many obese 75 to 80 year olds do you see around, and how hard is the last decade of their lives fighting to just stay alive…Not thanks, if you got to go early, go like Ed, dancing on most of his friends graves…

Ed Whitlock ran a world record 3:56 marathon at age 85 (slow for him, actually), then passed away sadly at age 86. (Dude ran a 2:56 at age 72)

He also did a lot of his training running laps around and within cemetery; make of that what you will

IMHO, studies can be manipulated to prove almost anything you want them to.

While exercise might help you live longer, it will definitely enable you to live *better.*This is the driving motivator behind my exercise regimen. I am known among the people with whom I associate for saying, “I don’t care if I drop dead when I’m 80. I just want to drop dead doing something I enjoy, not stuck in an electric scooter sucking oxygen.”

Yes Ed had a tremendously fit life, up until the time cancer got him. And cancer can get anyone at anytime, who is to say that his health did not give him an extra couple decades of life form the couch potato counterpart life that most guys his age live…

I look around at guys my age and the ones that are not athletes I’m amazed that we are the same age. I will be going to my 50 year reunion this year, probably a 1/4 of the group dead already, and from the picks I see, not a long time for most of the rest of them. It is actually sad to see how badly they have aged, virtually all of them overweight, over half obese.

Like I tell people, how many obese 75 to 80 year olds do you see around, and how hard is the last decade of their lives fighting to just stay alive…Not thanks, if you got to go early, go like Ed, dancing on most of his friends graves…

I went to my 35 year reunion last year from Royal Military College of Canada. The pass mark on the fitness test was 10:15 1.5 mil run. Meaning every guy at one point in their life, had to run at 6:50 mile pace for 1.5 miles. That’s not that fast for 18-22 year olds, but they all could do basic fitness running. I would say 33 percent of the class are relatively fit for a bunch of 58-59 year olds. The fitness routine the military beat into our heads, stuck with a third of us. The rest avoid it. For the third that got it beaten into their heads and for whom it became part of their existence they are doing relatively well.

Having said, that who survives to 70, 80, 90 is another story. We have 7 from our class of 200 dead from suicide (that was the big one as we are all former service people many traumatized from front line combat) , ALS, AIDs and literally had the first guy die from heart attack (he was best man in my wedding party, former triathlete and water polo guy, but went the sedentary high stress adult life. I am shocked there are not more who dies from heart attack and amazingly no one yet from cancer. But I think we are entering that territory when the two big ones take a wide swath of us.

In terms of finishing the race of life last, I am only in if I can walk, and have a general decent quality of life with a functioning brain and can walk to the grocery store and get my food and cook for myself. If I am confined to a bed, and need daily assistance to do basic things and I am less useful than a baby in this society, then its better that this life ends earlier than prolong on care and confined to bed. That’s just me. Maybe I change my tune when I get closer to the time of being bedridden though. From this vantage point, I’d rather that life ends sooner if the option is in bed without a brain function.

Last year, after moving back to Utah, I tried to find a riding club that like to climb. I sort of did that as the Utah Velo Club climbed over the Alpine Loop each week. Not a bunch of hardcore folks but the big take-away is the ride leader Stan, who is 85 years old. He’s not super fast, but he gets up over the 3,000 foot climb with the others and HE IS 85!

It made me feel a lot better about being 50-something. If I can ride 45 miles with climbing every Thursday, I’ll be happy to keep on going at 85.

Not to be a downer, but it’ll probably be mostly out of your control. My Dad used to cycle with a group of retirees. Every week for well over a decade they went out for a ride through the countryside. My Dad was maybe 81 when he went the last time. Declining vision due to macular degeneration forced him to stop. I took him on his last bike ride on a flat protected path and we ended up driving to pick him up because he just felt too scared to continue with his limited vision. (I hadn’t realized quite how bad it was or obviously would not have ever started the ride.)

A couple of guys in their late 80s are still cycling. They use self-made ebikes (frugal engineers). They are the lucky ones. Others have stopped due to death, joint problems, cancer and its side effects, and I honestly don’t know what else.

Taking care of your health by doing everything from wearing sunscreen to watching your diet to exercising moderately obviously increases your odds, but most people will not be able to climb 3000 feet at 85. If you are female, your odds are practically zero. In fact, most people are long dead at 85.

If I can cycle in any capacity at 85 and am not a resident of a nursing home, I’ll call it a win.

And a contrary point. Several years ago I stumbled across an article, I can no longer remember the when or where of it, but the article stated the three activities most likely to initiate atrial fibrillation in otherwise healthy individuals. Anyone want to guess what those three activities were?

Anyone?

Anyone?

Ya, well, if you said swimming, biking and running, maybe you read the same article.