Thank goodness Olympics are over and we can go back to watching Nascar

NASCAR returns from its Olympic break this weekend, and Sunday night’s Cup race at Richmond begins a four-race pre-playoff sprint.

Just kidding!

What happened to NASCAR? A few years ago it seemed to be absolutely booming, now I hardly ever here it mentioned.

What happened to NASCAR? A few years ago it seemed to be absolutely booming, now I hardly ever here it mentioned.

It’s probably a good cautionary tale .

I don’t have all the details…

But…

1. Stupid fans
  2. Nepotism
  3. Mismanagement and corruption
  4. The outcome of races became arbitrary, with favoritism, and personal wealth playing a significant role.
  5. Fans have largely lost interest.

It would be great if the party of Trump were to suffer the same fate.

I suppose, if capitalism and democracy are healthy - this is the logical outcome for stupidity + Nepotism+ mismanagement+ corruption.

NASCAR? You mean the sport whose fans brought us such great hits as “Let’s Go Brandon!”

Can’t say I’m surprised to see NASCAR fading towards obscurity.

What happened to NASCAR? A few years ago it seemed to be absolutely booming, now I hardly ever hear it mentioned.

Could be the crowd you spend time with.

They signed a 7 year TV deal that starts in 2025.

Today’s race is sold out.

NASCAR’s decline started long before Trump. They got too popular, raised the prices too much and made it unaffordable for the common man.

Other changes with adding stages to the races, changing iconic tracks (Bristol) so they don’t race as good, just didn’t go over well.

Then add in all the big names that have retired over the last 10 years, Jeff Gordon, Jimmy johnson, Dale jr, Mark martin, and lots of others.

I guess the homeless people can move back onto the land under bridges by the Seine?

NASCAR? You mean the sport whose fans brought us such great hits as “Let’s Go Brandon!”

One cannot discount the devastating injuries to star drivers from turning left all the time.

NASCAR returns from its Olympic break this weekend, and Sunday night’s Cup race at Richmond begins a four-race pre-playoff sprint.

Just kidding!

What did you think of the finish, some shades of Dale Sr. LOL

You know you are a redneck when you think the last line of the national anthem is gentlemen start you engines

I know nothing about NASCAR.

But I’ve thought about renting an RV in the infield of a race and watching. It’s not crazy expensive ($3k for a couple of bedrooms for Monday to Monday, so all of race week) and if it’s in a City I’d like to visit I could explore there as well.

Has anyone here done it? Any advice?

I’ve never done the RV in the infield thing but I did spend a couple days in Charlotte for the old Winston All-Star race. It was a hell of a good time and we did meet a variety of people from all over the place, including France. If you’re at all into motorsports, a NASCAR race should be on your checklist.

One cannot discount the devastating injuries to star drivers from turning left all the time.

NASCAR races are not only on ovals these days. They also run a few events on road courses like F1 circuits.

That was pretty exciting. One of the commentators called it moments before it happened…and then wham he wrecked lagano and then Hamlin. Short track racing is more fun to watch.

I know nothing about NASCAR.

But I’ve thought about renting an RV in the infield of a race and watching. It’s not crazy expensive ($3k for a couple of bedrooms for Monday to Monday, so all of race week) and if it’s in a City I’d like to visit I could explore there as well.

Has anyone here done it? Any advice?

Never done it. But oftentimes the tracks aren’t in or close to a major city. So that would be something to factor in if you’re more interested in checking out the city than the race.

Wife went to Pitt Int’l raceway for track event I did (was a terrible off-track weekend for me. Posted about it to moan and groan). One of her/our surprises was that Pittsburgh was like an hour away.

That was pretty exciting. One of the commentators called it moments before it happened…and then wham he wrecked lagano and then Hamlin. Short track racing is more fun to watch.

Saw some highlights. Seemed like a “dirty play” that officials let slide.

Crashes are the kind of excitement some of the fans like to see.

But…

1. Stupid fans
  2. Nepotism
  4. The outcome of races became arbitrary, with favoritism, and personal wealth playing a significant role.

I suppose, if capitalism and democracy are healthy - this is the logical outcome for stupidity + Nepotism+ mismanagement+ corruption.

Went to my first NASCAR race in Richmond yesterday. Never been a fan but had a friend with VIP access so I said what the hell.

As someone else said - race was sold out. Packed with enthusiastic and knowledgeable fans . Everyone I encountered was polite and friendly. The race crews we met with were very impressive - sharp and intelligent pros - couldn’t believe the athleticism of the PIT crews. Talked business with one of race team presidents and sounds like they are doing just fine from a financial standpoint. Very few political signs, tee shirts, etc. Lots of African American fans there. Based on what I saw everything you wrote is pretty much wrong, but even you admit you don’t have all the details.

Honestly, I can’t think of anything worse than watching cars go around and around for 500 miles. I have a close friend who loves it, but I can’t see the appeal.

But different tastes for different people.

But…

1. Stupid fans
  2. Nepotism

Went to my first NASCAR race in Richmond yesterday. Never been a fan but had a friend with VIP access so I said what the hell.

As someone else said - race was sold out. Packed with enthusiastic and knowledgeable fans . Everyone I encountered was polite and friendly. The race crews we met with were very impressive - sharp and intelligent pros - couldn’t believe the athleticism of the PIT crews. Talked business with one of race team presidents and sounds like they are doing just fine from a financial standpoint. Very few political signs, tee shirts, etc. Lots of African American fans there. Based on what I saw everything you wrote is pretty much wrong, but even you admit you don’t have all the details.

Was it?
https://thespun.com/nascar/photo-of-nascars-embarrassing-attendance-sunday-goes-viral