Taking director role at new company. lr advice?

Lots of great resources and experience here.

On Monday I’m starting a new job as a director. This means I’m managing a department.

Any advice on leading a department who has been together for several years and you’re the new guy coming in to manage them?

What industry?

Congrats.

Schedule meetings with the people in your department (might need to be selective, if there’s a lot of them) to understand what they do, what they need, how your predecessor did things, etc. If the group has been together for a while I’d start by listening, rather than imposing your style.

Two words.

Iron. Fist.

Do you know what happened to the old director? What have they told you about the dynamics you are coming into? Running smoothly or needs immediate attention?

What industry?
Construction.
My role is budgeting, scheduling, and logistics.

Do you know what happened to the old director? What have they told you about the dynamics you are coming into? Running smoothly or needs immediate attention?

Old director wanted to go back to previous role.

They do want to make changes on how projects are managed.

To Slow Guy’s response, I was thinking about coming in and telling them,“I’m the new boss. It’s my way or the highway.” That should go over well.

I’ve come up with a plan on new project style. Fortunately for me, the way the VP wants things done is how I’ve always done them. I figure sudden change in bad and I plan to make a gradual change.

One upside is I have 2x more experience than the most senior person in the department. I don’t want to come in and scare them that there will be sudden changes.

In a unique twist, one person there worked for me when I had my business years ago. We got along great then. She had to move on because she needed benefits I could noylt offer.

Lots of good points. Thanks.

Pick out the largest guy walk up to him and punch him in the face

Or

It’s a bit situation dependent. The guy you’re replacing fired retired or left for a new job?

Definitely talk to EVERY SINGLE person just to say hi.

Figure out the culture and see if that’s what you want to persist

Your first tip reminds me of my high school football coach. He had a simple rule when it comes to fighting.
If you smash the guy in the face with a 2x4 and he doesn’t blink, run.

Thanks for reminding me of that tip.

My predecessor thought he could run this department. His passion was back on the jobsite. People think what we do is easy until they have to do it.

I already have a meeting scheduled with him. I want to ask him about the team I’m inheriting.

Take the decision making slow at first until you have the lay of the land
Meet with the former guy but do not get dragged down with his issues/complaints. You are a different person
Focus on individual communication rather than communicating with the group
Once you know everyone short, focused, interactions can help you gain traction and build trust
Listen more than you talk
Be prepared to spend a lot of time. New jobs require some “base work”

Old director wanted to go back to previous role.

They do want to make changes on how projects are managed.

To Slow Guy’s response, I was thinking about coming in and telling them,“I’m the new boss. It’s my way or the highway.” That should go over well.

I’ve come up with a plan on new project style. Fortunately for me, the way the VP wants things done is how I’ve always done them. I figure sudden change in bad and I plan to make a gradual change.

One upside is I have 2x more experience than the most senior person in the department. I don’t want to come in and scare them that there will be sudden changes.

In a unique twist, one person there worked for me when I had my business years ago. We got along great then. She had to move on because she needed benefits I could noylt offer.

In all seriousness, a lot of people talk about gradual change, and not making big changes in the first X number of days, etc. Sometimes changes are needed right away. It doesn’t necessarily sound like you’ve been hired to unscrew something that was all messed up, but you may find that there are things that need to move in a different direction quickly either because they’re being done incorrectly, or because you have a timeline for some sort of result, or whatever.

Teams can handle change if it makes sense to them. If it seems like change for change’s sake, or if it seems like you’re just trying to make your mark, that’s when you run into trouble.

How many people will you supervise? How many direct reports?
And how many people do you currently supervise, with how many direct reports?

PM sent

It will be 6. There is an opportunity to move into regional VP role.

As a business owner, I had 11 employees.
In my now former role, it was up to 3.

My thought is more toward being the new guy at a company and managing an existing team.

Don’t do changes just for the sake of changing thing/to justify your existence/to leave your stamp. I had too many of these kind of characters in my past. If its not broken leave it alone.

What industry?
Construction.
My role is budgeting, scheduling, and logistics.

Well then, know how much money you can spend, **what **the impact would be were you to miss the deadline and **where **the linchpins are in your supply chains. But most importantly, who the players are that will make you or break your projects…

Be nice.

Until it’s time to not be nice.

Change is hard. No matter what. Change management is key, but it is still hard.

Paralysis by analysis—at some point a decision has to be made. Own it and move on.

Stakeholder engagement—ask people to get involved, encourage ideas, and allow people who want to run with it to go ahead.

Indifference as a reaction to change is good.

It will be 6. There is an opportunity to move into regional VP role.

As a business owner, I had 11 employees.
In my now former role, it was up to 3.

My thought is more toward being the new guy at a company and managing an existing team.

Sounds a bit like some positions I’ve had, managing a fairly small team of professionals. Do your six staff work somewhat independently (i.e. project managers), or does each person have a role in every project? Seems like that would change your approach.

You surely know all this, but since it’s a new environment you should probably lay low for a while until you know the lay of the land. Find out if your new boss expects you to run your show by yourself, or if you’ll be getting lots of advice and guidance from above. Get to know the strengths and weaknesses of each of your new staff; including their interpersonal relationships. That takes time.

If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. And always remember that a happy employee is twice as productive if not more. Once you get settled in, you can start changing things if needed. Set high standards, but always be there to help your staff clear the bar.

And best of luck to you!