Take a spare bike?

So I’m planning for IMAZ in November. I currently have two tri bikes I use on a regular basis, a 2015 Shiv and a 2011 Cervelo P2. The P2 is actually marginally faster than the Shiv, but it gets terribly uncomfortable at any distance greater than an Oly.

That being the case, I’ve made the decision that the Shiv is the primary bike for November. Having said that, there’s a part of me that thinks I should take both bikes to Tempe just in case.

One thought is that I do have an 80mm wheel set I run on days with little to no wind, and then a 41mm set I use on days with heavy cross winds. I was considering just sticking with the 41mm wheels, but if I take both bikes, I will have both wheels available and can make the decision the day before.

The other thought is just worst case scenario. Tempe is only about a 6 hour drive so that’s what I’m doing. Far too much hassle to try and fly from Vegas to Phoenix with a bike when I can make the drive in an afternoon. I have an external rack and can carry both bikes easily, so interior room will not be compromised.

Anyway, does it make sense to any of you to take both bikes? Or am I just overthinking things and making them more complicated than they need to be?

You’re overthinking thinking it. Take one and be done. You don’t need the added stress of deciding which bike to ride.

2 Likes

Just one opinion, but if it were me, I’d pick the more comfortable bike 100% of the time. You’re still going to be happy to be rid of it after 112 miles. But if the P2 hurts after 25mi, you’ll hate life in an IM.

As for the wheels - I’m not clear on why they can’t be swapped between bikes - assuming both are rim brake. Can you just bring the Shiv with the 80mm wheelset, and throw the 40mm front wheel in your car just in case?

Yes, I had already determined the Shiv was the first option. I did a 55 mile ride on the P2 last week and I knew there is no way I would even finish the distance in a full IM on that bike, much less get off and then run any distance at all. But the thinking was just, God forbid, something happen to the Shiv on the trip down, at least I would have something I could use.

And yes, I can easily swap the wheels. In fact, I do that on kind of a regular basis anyway. But the thinking is if they’re on the bike, then I can travel with them external to the car.

But what I may just do is mount up the 41mm set and take the 80mm rear just in case the weather cooperates. Honestly though, for me, even that is probably not worth the hassle. I’m just not fast enough for it to make a difference.

So it sounds like you’re thinking of taking the P2 along (on an external rack) just to act as a wheel carrier/holder for extra wheels since you’ll definitely ride the Shiv? That seems silly.

How much room (in the car) would taking 2 wheels take up? Stick 'em behind the front seats, or layer them flat on top of what you’ve packed.

1 Like

Taking both bikes is overkill. Take the Shiv with the 41front/80rear; depth on the rear doesn’t impact handling.

That’s good advice!