Swim Goggles (4)

My Aqua Sphere Seal Mask goggles have always been my “go to” set of goggles for swimming 2.4Miles because of the extended vision and they do not leak. However, after pool swimming, my Seal Mask goggles are ready to be replaced and I’ve tried Zone 3 - they leak and also Roka - they leak. Should I just buy another pair of Aqua Sphere Seal Mask goggles or is there a better option?

If its not broken dont fix it!

Stick with what works.

There are plenty of good options and plenty that aren’t so big. If you’re going to drop the bucks, try The Magic 5. I was skeptical, but I like my pair. I’ve been swimming competitively since 1980, and I often trained 5-6 hrs/day. I found that the small goggles of the era were perfectly fine. Speedo Sprint, Hind Compy, and Swedish goggles. Those are still manufactured, and I have used all three at one time or another in Ironman and OW races as recently as a year ago.

The small lenses have advantages: less drag, meaning that those are harder to pull off; wide range of vision (truly); less surface area that can get kicked or elbowed; and less cost.

Skeptics of the Swedish-style goggles claim that the gaskets don’t seal well, the lenses hurt on soft eye skin, and are dangerous in contact-prone OWS. Some also describe not being able to get a good fit. All of these issues, ESPECIALLY the custom fit issue, are addressed with versions like the TYR Socket Rocket and the arena Swedix. The nosepieces and head straps are infinitely customizable, and the gaskets are softer and seal well. The range of vision is surprisingly better. A distinct advantage of the arena Swedix is that the lenses are beveled, so a swimmer can keep a head down in freestyle and be able to see forward or not have to pick the head up as much to sight.

Use elastic to bridge the lenses at the nose, don’t tie too tightly, and enjoy. It’s well worth it, and the cost is much easier to bear. Added plus is that swimmers wearing these look really cool.

These are used by many of the top-level OW swimmers on the world scene (TYR, Swedix, Swedish).

Magic5 for sure. Zero leaks, no discomfort/pain around the eyes. Excellent customer support. Google and you can find discount codes