Supplements You Swear By?

The question speaks for itself.

Any supplements you use that are non-negotiable? Specifically for cycling or running.

Ferrous sulfate (iron) tablets and b12 injections.

If low normal in either of these (ferritin and b12), this contributes to lower hemoglobin.

Get high normal in both and your hemoglobin comes up. Legal PEDs.

Low normal / high normal - I mean by reference to the standard ranges that come back on your blood tests.

Caffeine.

Pillar Performance Triple Magnesium

insulin and magnesium glycinate and caffeine.

Beets. The real kind - not pills or concentrate juice or bars.

Why, what have you noticed? I used it for months, stopped and have noticed zero difference in sleep etc?

Why, what have you noticed? I used it for months, stopped and have noticed zero difference in sleep etc?

possibly he’s prone to low magnesium levels, and you’re not

possibly he’s prone to low magnesium levels, and you’re not

Maybe, was a genuine question what benefits they were experiencing. I felt like I was getting better sleep but found it largely placebo as it didn’t change after going off it. Perhaps my diet is already rich in magnesium though, good point!

Caffeine, creatine, beta alanine, and multivitamin (because my diet isn’t the best).

curcumin - reduces inflammation, a by product has been improved sleep

impact demonstrated on sleep / recovery scores on whoop

I thought anything IV was illegal.

I never wanted to be the person that takes a bunch of supplements because my diet is fairly good as it is, but as I start to age more is it wrong to try and get every edge I can even with marginal benefit?

Right now I take a multivitamin and 2 supplements for my liver which hasn’t always worked great. Acetylcysteine and milk thistle extract.

From this thread though, then reading a study about turmeric I may have to start.

after what waverider mentioned I glanced at my most recent blood test from Feb, I am on the low/normal end of RBC and hemoglobin count, definitely an opportunity for iron. My fiance is vegetarian so I cook and eat a whole lot less meat, and especially red meat at home.

I found that my sleep quality improved. So even a 6hr sleep overnight felt more rested with the triple magnesium than if I got 8hr without it.

I thought anything IV was illegal.
Anyone reporting a B12 injection by themselves or anyone else needs to take a long hard look in the mirror.

Coffee and Electrolytes. I also take fish oil.
Been using a sugar-free Electrolyte drink with mag, potassium, choline and 2 aminos called Fstfuel. So far, so good. Actually tastes good for being all natural & sugar-free.

I can’t swear by any of the things that I take, I think it’s more emotional support than anything, to be honest:

• Saw Palmento (prostate, I’m 43 and I also take Flomax but I have a prescription for that).
  • Vit C
  • Fish Oil
  • Ashwagandha (because why not?)

Tongkat Ali w/ Fadogia Agrestis got my Testosterone Levels Up 100 points.

I also like herbal supplements for improved bloodflow like Ginkgo.

Amazon.com: NatureBell Fadogia Agrestis 600mg with Tongkat Ali 400mg, 240* Capsules | 20:1 Fadogia Stem Extract & Indonesia Tongkat-Ali (Longjack) Root Extract – Max Strength Herbal Supplement – Non-GMO : Health & HouseholdF

vit D, blood tests always came back borderline low, around 30 nmol/l. Now take it daily, blood tests are > 50, and instead of 3-5 colds a year I have none.
Also there is this, Plausible ergogenic effects of vitamin D on athletic performance and recovery

fish oil, helps with brain fog, and lots of evidence for general benefit in the SAD food area (SAD= standard American diet).
electrolytes after each workout, reduces cramping significantly.

coffee helps with nearly everything.
sugar for fuelling long days.

sometimes:
rhodiola, helps with sleep and I think also endurance. Effects are not strong but enough to be noticeable.

others tried:
creatine works well but gives me random extremely painful cramping sessions, can’t tolerate.
protein supplements, no effects found.
assorted flavor of the week things tried in desperation, vits B, E, COQ-10, magnesium etc. No useful effects found.

Generally though there’s a lot of nonsense around supplements and I like Alex Hutchinson’s take:

Whenever I see someone touting the merits of, say, neuroscientist and podcaster Andrew Huberman’s $370 supplement stack, I’m tempted to go full PubMed on them. You really think the herbal extract Fadogia agrestis is going to boost your “healthspan and muscle performance” based on an obscure study of male albino rats published by the Asian Journal of Andrology back in 2005? A grand total of zero human trials is what Huberman means by a “robust foundation of science”?

Think of the recent furor over carbon-plated running shoes: a demonstrated performance boost of as much as 3 percent has completely upended the sport. The reason supplements haven’t had a similar impact isn’t because they’re a secret that only Andrew Huberman’s listeners know about. It’s because they don’t work in any meaningful way.

My understanding is that anything over 100ml in a 12 hour period by way of injection or intravenous infusion is prohibited. These are just 1ml injections. I don’t doubt that b12 pills are effective as well. However from what I understand you get higher absorption of the injections and you only need them when your levels require it (say 4-6 week frequency)