Stationary Bike for Expos for People to Try Saddles?

Stationary Bike for Expos for People to Try Saddles

I’m wanting something light and easy to travel with, so the Zwift Ride is out.

I’m going to talk to a local frame builder about an affordable ti/steel travel expo bike.

Maybe something square and very very loosely based on this but with an open frame and very stable legs for uneven expo grounds, and a basic and light resistance unit like this.

This thing is not for getting a workout, but does need to be adjustable, very stable, able to safely hold a 300lb person on uneven expo grounds, and needs to fold down and be relatively light to travel with. I’ll see what the framebuilder comes up with, but also curious if anyone has ideas here on these forums.

I’m thinking of a design that looks like a mix between the original Serotta fit bike with the silhouette of the new Wahooo bike.

Wheels are in motion and we’re planning on having one expo travel stationary bike for Kona. Will post some progress along the way as it’s kind of a cool little project and hope to see you at an IM or Lifetime expo in the future with what we come up with 💪

Hey Nick, what about an old school fit bike. I see them on eBay at times and market shop.

Hey Nick, what about an old school fit bike. I see them on eBay at times and market shop.

Are you thinking of the original Serotta or the EXIT fit bike?

Those do weigh a ton. We’re going to keep it under 50lb for air travel, and because we’re not doing bike fits, don’t need to make it quite so adjustable and don’t need a high quality resistance unit for folks to hop on a saddle in cargo shorts while walking through an expo.

I’ll get some mock up images posted soon 💪

Thinking a blend of a Serotta with the Wahoo in terms of design, but easily disassembled and under 50lb, and very stable on uneven expo grounds.

random: I also have this strong desire to serve homemade pickle juice mocktails at expos …

52bbf6dc-7f47-4eff-867f-e53486592dcb.jpeg
f3fbb37d-f882-4d28-aeed-ab864838889b.jpeg

Exactly what I was thinking. I was unaware they were heavy.

Maybe one out of titanium with pins to assemble from a bag or box??

I have a kickr bike and that would be a no go.

Exactly what I was thinking. I was unaware they were heavy.

Maybe one out of titanium with pins to assemble from a bag or box??

I have a kickr bike and that would be a no go.

That Serotta fit bike “feels” like it is over 100lb - will share drafts along the way but could be cool.

What about the concept 2 bike. It’s all there ready and very handy to roll from place to place.

Width:24 in (61 cm)
Machine Weight68 lb (31 kg)
Overall Length48 in (122 cm)
Seat HeightSeat to Pedal range (approximately): 31–40.5 in (79–103 cm)
Shipping DimensionsOne box: 15 in x 26 in x 48 in (38 cm x 66 cm x 122 cm)
Maximum User Weight350 lb (159 kg)

What about the concept 2 bike. It’s all there ready and very handy to roll from place to place.

Width:24 in (61 cm)
Machine Weight68 lb (31 kg)
Overall Length48 in (122 cm)
Seat HeightSeat to Pedal range (approximately): 31–40.5 in (79–103 cm)
Shipping DimensionsOne box: 15 in x 26 in x 48 in (38 cm x 66 cm x 122 cm)
Maximum User Weight350 lb (159 kg)

Good idea! The weight is a bit too much to travel internationally or to Hawaii with, and also seeking it to be foldable, but the design is definitely something worth potentially imitating. Thank you!

OK, I don’t know much about much, but what about picking up something like an old Softride frame and adapting it to what you’re looking to do? Seems like you could fit a bunch of different sizes pretty easily. I think all the old Softrides are aluminum so maybe not quite as light as you might want, but being aluminum might make it easier to modify to suit. And you can run across them on Craigslist or other marketplaces fairly reasonable. The 650 frames are especially reasonable and that wouldn’t matter at all for what you’re doing.

Just a thought.

Get a single-speed bike to pair with the wahoo and the zwift single gear (or run in erg mode). Put a QR seatpost and fit stem on the bike for easy size adjustments. There is also a quick saddle swapper that Dan is a big fan of.

https://purelycustomfit.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/Sizing-Stem.jpg
https://www.bicycleretailer.com/sites/default/files/styles/colorbox_popup/public/images/article/gallery/saddlechangerinterbike.jpg?itok=_LPaigTn