SRAM battery woes (loose or corrosion)

Bike is a TCX stored in temperature and humidity controlled environment. Name brand SRAM batteries, axs cyclocross setup.

Nowadays constant weird corrosion on the battery terminals I have to scrape or polish with a knife tip to get decent connection. Then bouncing on gravel will lose good connection and not shift on a perfectly charged battery.

Wtf. Batteries admittedly maybe 3 years old but hold charge fine.

Cost of wireless SRAM? Have to pony for new batteries?

Not super happy about it happening on rides.

You’ve almost certainly got something wrong mechanically with either the battery or the derailleur. In around 10 years I’ve never seen corrosion in any of my SRAM batteries. Road, CX/gravel, or MTB. And I have real winter and also not-very-carefully hose down my bikes after most rides. I’ve also never lost connection on a ride, including very rough rock gardens, etc.

It isn’t battery leaking kind of corrosion but a kind of dark tough to clean film. Using qtip and alcohol was fruitless on it. Polishing it only temporarily works then it comes back. I am betting the lost usage mid ride is due to the derailleur only having a very small suboptimal contact patch between the pins and battery where I scrape it clean.

I will buy one new battery then see if that one has no issues and go from there.

You might check the other side. The 3 contacts are spring loaded on the derailleur side. If one or more of those springs is busted, that could explain it.

Edit: 2 contacts on the derailleur…I was looking at the battery charger when I first said three - but only the charger uses the third contact.

1 Like

We have a total of seven SRAM eTap and AXS equipped bikes (gravel, road, TT) and never experienced anything like that.
Did you inspect the rubber seal on your derailleur where the battery goes? It does a fantastic job, keeping moisture out of the contact point area. Maybe yours is damaged, or missing? Or your battery is faulty and is leaking?

I hope to not jinx myself. 11 speed eTap user for over 6 years now. The original batteries are still in rotation and last quite some time on the bike. I have SRAM on three bikes and rotate them as they require to be charged. I have 9 batteries in the rotation. One bike gets used daily and the other two here and there. A mountain bike and a fat bike.

Typically when this happens the problem lies with the spring loaded contact pins on the derailleur side of the interface. The springs compress over time, and they begin to make a tenuous enough contact that minimal surface oxidation combined with normal vibration causes loss of continuity. Burnishing the contacts helps, but doesn’t solve the actual problem. Sometimes spraying some contact cleaner into the pin can help, sometimes not. Definitely worth trying.
It is possible to replace the pins, but it’s definitely not a DIY fix for most folks.
Mixed reports on SRAM warranty coverage for this. If you have a really good relationship with a LBS, they might be able to squeeze it through for you.

New RD hanger. AXS app had it off by 3 gears. Perfect alignment. I then tried to manually move ot a hair and it sprang around. Now has red green light flash. Won’t move at all fresh battery. Me thinks stripped internal?

yup. sounds like that.

Ok, not it. I took wheel off and it shifted. Did a microadjust. Shifting. Now I am thinking I misinterpreted it for poor battery connections with those stupid pins. As the battery connector is so bad it interrupts the shift as it jiggles as it moves the RD.

Last easy effort is will solder a little into the well where the battery pin is to raise that up for more contact.

If not, new RD. What a POS.

Never. A problem with my di2 bikes.