SRAM 10 speed R2C RD setup

Turning here for help. Google search wasn’t useful. Yes, I know 10 speed mechanical stuff is old as dirt.

I have a relatively new to me TT bike with SRAM 10 speed mechanicals. I replaced the aerobars, cables, and housing and am now having a hard time getting the RD setup. First time messing with SRAM R2C shifters and road mechanicals. The SRAM manual is useless. It simply says to put the shifter in the highest gear and to attach the cable.

The problem is the cable tension on the RD. It seems like it is either too high (doesn’t want to shift at all) or too slack (not enough force to return the RD to high gear after shifting to low gear.

Anyone got suggestions or a youtube link for this?

Turning here for help. Google search wasn’t useful. Yes, I know 10 speed mechanical stuff is old as dirt.

I have a relatively new to me TT bike with SRAM 10 speed mechanicals. I replaced the aerobars, cables, and housing and am now having a hard time getting the RD setup. First time messing with SRAM R2C shifters and road mechanicals. The SRAM manual is useless. It simply says to put the shifter in the highest gear and to attach the cable.

The problem is the cable tension on the RD. It seems like it is either too high (doesn’t want to shift at all) or too slack (not enough force to return the RD to high gear after shifting to low gear.

Anyone got suggestions or a youtube link for this?

First guess would be housing. Need to make sure it’s appropriate in length. Housing that is too short will shift (no pun) around and cause headaches. Also need to make sure it’s reasonably low-friction, no kinks hidden inside a bar or something. You’re depending on the spring in your RD to keep the cable tensioned. If there’s too much friction to do that, problems start.

Cycling a friction shifter from end to end is a good way to test. Though I think most of SRAM’s R2C stuff was purely indexed (mine had no release that I recall).

What RD? Just curious because some 10sp RD’s had nice, strong springs. But IIRC, some were kinda noodly and more finicky.

Rival.

When unattached and holding the end of the cable, you can feel it’s super smooth. No friction or hang ups. Just trying to get the tension set up right is the biggest fight.