Speaker of the House vote Oct 23rd?

No clue, are they voting today, or are they so f’d up they cant even figure out who to put up to not elect?

The “No Chance in Hell 9” are giving a Republicans only presentation of why they should be nominated sometime this evening.

I read that they will take a closed door vote tomorrow morning and if they come up with a nominee they could have a floor vote by as early as the afternoon.

Of the nine only two voted to certify the election, Emmer (MN) and Scott (GA).

Why don’t they just nominate Trump and get it over with. Saturday Night Live had it about right.

Thought I read somewhere, that someone charged with a felony can be speaker

Why don’t they just nominate Trump and get it over with. Saturday Night Live had it about right.

Thought I read somewhere, that someone charged with a felony can be speaker

I think it’s just a GOP conference rule. Not even a House rule much less Federal law or something tracing to the Constitution. Just a GOP rule. Easy to change. Or just ignore!

what is interesting about all of this, is that when McCarthy was voted out people were actually questioning if this was bad for the democrats.

Get ready for another debt ceiling standoff / U.S. credit rating downgrade risk.

I cant see how the American public (who largely keeps their head in the ground) cant look at all of this and think its any but the GOPs fault - if they cant even decide who should represent themselves there is no way they can get a budget.

Get ready for another debt ceiling standoff / U.S. credit rating downgrade risk.

I cant see how the American public (who largely keeps their head in the ground) cant look at all of this and think its any but the GOPs fault - if they cant even decide who should represent themselves there is no way they can get a budget.

Technically a continuing resolution. There hasn’t been an actual budget passed since the Clinton admin. BJs aside, Clinton seems to look better and better in the rearview mirror.

Interesting letter of “encouragement” from Congressman Tom McClintock to some of his House colleagues as the Speaker debacle continues.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/tom-mcclintock-matt-gaetz-letter_n_65365f39e4b0689b3fbd4880

Technically a continuing resolution. There hasn’t been an actual budget passed since the Clinton admin. BJs aside, Clinton seems to look better and better in the rearview mirror.

Not true. The last time time a budget was passed on time and without using CRs was during the Clinton administration. The last time a budget was passed was last December.

Not true. The last time time a budget was passed on time and without using CRs was during the Clinton administration. The last time a budget was passed was last December.

I don’t call a CR a budget. I call it a CR.

If we haven’t had a budget since Clinton then we couldn’t be funding Obamacare or DHS for that matter. You can’t fund new departments under CRs.

They will most likely pass a new CR before they pass a budget, but we should get a new budget sometime in FY24.

I don’t call a CR a budget. I call it a CR.

Agreed. A CR isn’t a budget. I’m not sure what your point is. Once again, the FY2023 budget (not a CR) was passed in late December 2022 after, I think, three CRs to fill the gap between October 1st and when the bill was signed in late December.

The last time a budget was passed on time and before the FY started was during the Clinton administration.

You said that was the last time a budget was passed. Which is not true at all.

You and torry are right, I am wrong.

I’ll be over in the corner, let me know when I can come back and join the party.

What happens if its not emmer? Emmer has been the most centrist candidate yet. If its not him dont the GOP see they will be forced to make a deal with the democrats?

There is no one to the right of him that can the votes only with the GOP.

What happens if its not emmer? Emmer has been the most centrist candidate yet. If its not him dont the GOP see they will be forced to make a deal with the democrats?

Yeah, I don’t now. I know we’re not supposed to bring up Trump, but apparently Trump isn’t an Emmer fan. They apparently had a phone call over the weekend, and maybe Emmer’s ring-kissing wasn’t vigorous enough because Trump has slightly chilly at best. This is despite Emmer having endorsed Trump in both his Presidential elections, with a statement he’ll endorse again for '24.

If Trump is only lukewarm, the sub-faction of the Freedom Caucus who are Trump surrogates may hold out, and it doesn’t take many.

Have not seen much of emmer, but johnson is a prick.

Yeah but essentially the “moderate” branch of the GOP isnt going to vote for an election denier. And Emmer is the furthest right GOP member who didnt deny the election.

I just dont know where they go if this doesnt work. The far right has to see that the next step is to get democrat votes. At this point, how many GOP members have put their hat in the ring? 20?

The alternative is just to play grab ass for a while, but at the end of the day Emmer is really the only guy who can walk the GOP line (except for trump not liking him).

You and torry are right, I am wrong.

I’ll be over in the corner, let me know when I can come back and join the party.

It has been decided that your punishment is to calculate Trump’s BMI (the easy part) and then get SDG to fat-shame him (the hard part).

Good Luck!

well apparently there are at least 23 no’s for emmer.