Sometimes when you have a tin foil hat on people are chasing you

https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/czxlpjlgdzjo

Or in this case, the Biden White House pressured Facebook to “censor” Covid information it didn’t like including satire and humor. Stalin nods approvingly.

Interesting Facebook also “demoted” Hunter Biden news in the run up to the 2020 election. FB seemed to do this sua sponte which I’m okay with since it’s a private enterprise and can do what it wants.

Just because you’re paranoid, don’t mean they’re not after you.

The Office of Censorship pre-dates. A Pandemic resulting in fatalities to your citizens is about as near as one can get to war. Lincoln and FDR nod approvingly.

https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/czxlpjlgdzjo

Or in this case, the Biden White House pressured Facebook to “censor” Covid information it didn’t like including satire and humor. Stalin nods approvingly.

Interesting Facebook also “demoted” **Hunter Biden **news in the run up to the 2020 election. FB seemed to do this sua sponte which I’m okay with since it’s a private enterprise and can do what it wants.

Wait, what, if only I had known the information about Hunter I would never have voted for him. Oh dang, I forgot, he wasn’t running for office in the 2020 election.

Odd this part of Zukerberg’s letter was left out of your article.

“Ultimately, it was our decision whether or not to take any content down”

Odd this part of Zukerberg’s letter was left out of your article.

I understand Stalin had a similar liberal attitude toward censorship.

Stalin nods approvingly.

Whose job is it again to provide for the common defense?

The Government getting involved in an industry that uses American citizens like the Matrix used humans for battery power, in the midst of a lethal worldwide pandemic novel virus outbreak, doesn’t keep me awake at night. The influence of misinformation and the perverse profit incentive structure that promotes it, on the other hand, does.

No one will get it right 100% of the time. But if pressed to choose between public health officials and Mark Zuckerberg, I’m giving our health experts the benefit of the doubt here.

Drawing references to the Soviet Union isn’t really helpful.

Remind me again? Which party wants to control what books you can read and what you can/can’t do with your own body? Which party is saying they will eliminate the Department of Education?

When your plan is to implement 1984-type rule… you need the masses to be stupid.

Currently, I see medical malpractice actions arising from care provided during surges in Covid illnesses and the crush on medical care providers.

The plaintiffs claim things like: the nurses were too busy to take care of my person/ the nurses took too long to respond/ the nurses were rude and unprofessional/ the standard of care was not met/ the facility neglected my patient/ my person was put into a new-construction area that was insufficient/ etc.

When I take the deposition of the plaintiffs, I ask them if they recall the surge in Covid illnesses and the impact on hospitals. I ask them if they heard about overworked healthcare providers. I ask them if they heard about nursing shortages. I ask them if they remember any news relating to violence directed at health care workers. I ask them if they remember if hospitals ran out of rooms for the numbers of patients. I ask them if they recall hearing about waivers that allowed hospitals to set up make-shift patient areas in hallways, conference rooms, parking structures. I ask if they remember patients waiting in ambulances because there was no room in the emergency department. I ask them if they know why their patient stayed in the emergency room instead of moving to the icu. I ask if they remember seeing signs that said violence against workers was unacceptable.

Does everyone here understand what happened to the standard of care in America during Covid times because of the pandemic?

The failure to have a pandemic office with a real plan to respond to Covid created a catastrophe in American medicine. That catastrophe was made worse by Trump’s & MAGAs refusal to cooperate with masking and other preventative measures. It was made worse by MAGAs love affair with guns. The impact was felt by the nurses, as well as the patients who needed care at that time. Families who lost people during that time feel the impact too.

Yes, I think the government can and should restrict free speech in response to a pandemic. Even jokes. (The MAGA jokes aren’t even clever or funny anyway. lol) The consequences from misinformation and refusal to promote public health hurts a lot of people.

I find the plaintiffs in these cases to be very interesting. So far, they mostly claim that they “didn’t notice” Covid impacts. They didn’t notice! lol I notice they lie about other things, too, because I see documents that their attorneys produce in discovery that contain contradictory information.

I find the plaintiffs in these cases to be very interesting. So far, they mostly claim that they “didn’t notice” Covid impacts. They didn’t notice! lol I notice they lie about other things, too, because I see documents that their attorneys produce in discovery that contain contradictory information.

The dichotomy you’re facing in these depositions was one that was quite common in America (and I imagine the world) in 2020-2022. I remember in 2021 I was dating a girl who was believing a lot of the misinformation online about how the death statistics were made up, and eventually led into an anti-vax view (including microchip injections). At the same time I would be talking with my Mom (A hospital director) about how they had 10+ freezer trucks at the hospital acting as temp morgues because they couldn’t handle the volume. I quickly cut ties with that girl, but seeing an otherwise smart young professional get turned from social media (instagram reels mostly) was scary.

I appreciate that Zuck is at least cognizant that his platforms have swayed and continued to sway public opinion in terrible ways starting with the 2016 election, but obviously nothing he or his company has done has stopped the issue.

I ask the plaintiffs about their attitudes toward masking and distancing. The adult children tend to claim they have no opinion or they didn’t support the restrictions. The widows tend to state the restrictions were important. I see a different attitude between the generations.

A few of the anti-vax plaintiffs are former healthcare workers who stopped before Covid, which really blows my mind. Like that girl you dated, they should be smarter! The particular ladies I’m thinking of testified that they called the hospital repeatedly and stayed on hold for a long time in order to complain to nurses in 2021 during the holiday surge in cases. Counties here reported one person died every 8 minutes during that time. The smog restrictions were lifted to facilitate cremation of the bodies. How do people not understand the implications for healthcare?

Crazy plaintiffs have existed forever. I find it fascinating to ask them questions. I also love asking my clients questions, too, actually. The real workings of the world are so interesting. For all the people I see, it’s so great to get glimpse into their world.

As I’m sure you know, for every case of a “crazy plaintiff” there are probably well over 100 patients who never knew that they or their loved ones were the actual victims of medical malpractice. I do plaintiffs injury work, but never med mal because I need to keep the doctors on my side. Doctors are my friends. Over 30 years ago I worked in health care and can attest to the fact that (at least from what I saw) medical mistakes were always covered up, if possible. Doctors are notorious for not reporting their colleagues (for a lot of somewhat understandable reasons) including those who absolutely should not be practicing. I agree that there are “crazy” plaintiffs out there, but there are also a lot of very legitimate cases. I spend too much time talking people who call me out of trying to bring “crazy” claims. I wish I could just hang up on these people, but for professional reasons I have to be nice to them and hear them out before telling them that I don’t recommend they bring a claim.

Currently, I see medical malpractice actions arising from care provided during surges in Covid illnesses and the crush on medical care providers.

The plaintiffs claim things like: the nurses were too busy to take care of my person/ the nurses took too long to respond/ the nurses were rude and unprofessional/ the standard of care was not met/ the facility neglected my patient/ my person was put into a new-construction area that was insufficient/ etc.

When I take the deposition of the plaintiffs, I ask them if they recall the surge in Covid illnesses and the impact on hospitals. I ask them if they heard about overworked healthcare providers. I ask them if they heard about nursing shortages. I ask them if they remember any news relating to violence directed at health care workers. I ask them if they remember if hospitals ran out of rooms for the numbers of patients. I ask them if they recall hearing about waivers that allowed hospitals to set up make-shift patient areas in hallways, conference rooms, parking structures. I ask if they remember patients waiting in ambulances because there was no room in the emergency department. I ask them if they know why their patient stayed in the emergency room instead of moving to the icu. I ask if they remember seeing signs that said violence against workers was unacceptable.

Does everyone here understand what happened to the standard of care in America during Covid times because of the pandemic?

The failure to have a pandemic office with a real plan to respond to Covid created a catastrophe in American medicine. That catastrophe was made worse by Trump’s & MAGAs refusal to cooperate with masking and other preventative measures. It was made worse by MAGAs love affair with guns. The impact was felt by the nurses, as well as the patients who needed care at that time. Families who lost people during that time feel the impact too.

Yes, I think the government can and should restrict free speech in response to a pandemic. Even jokes. (The MAGA jokes aren’t even clever or funny anyway. lol) The consequences from misinformation and refusal to promote public health hurts a lot of people.

From your perspective, does the fact that plaintiff families didn’t notice covid impacts or lie about what they knew excuse substandard care of patients by medical providers/facilities? Or is that just an effective defense cudgel to hit them with? Are you defending individual providers, or their corporate employers?

Put another way: in your opinion, is there any resort beyond the ballot box for people who lost family during Covid due to substandard care?

FWIW, I see both sides of this issue. My father died April 2020, from what was officially attributed to Alzheimer’s, but looked a lot like Covid. When asked, the private-equity backed care facility in which he resided when he died would only repeat “we had no confirmed cases of Covid at that time”. Blanket refusals/referrals to corporate counsel to answer whether they had tests; administered tests; were sufficiently staffed at even pre-covid required levels; required staff to perform basic care that was required pre-covid; etc.

And on the other hand, the best man at my wedding was a pulmonary/critical care doc through covid, and his wife was an ER attending, both working in Boston where shit hit the fan very early in the pandemic.

I have a lot of sympathy and respect for the medical personnel who were on the front lines of covid. I don’t feel like that excuses substandard care in all cases, especially at the corporate level.

Stalin nods approvingly.

Whose job is it again to provide for the common defense?

The Government getting involved in an industry that uses American citizens like the Matrix used humans for battery power, in the midst of a lethal worldwide pandemic novel virus outbreak, doesn’t keep me awake at night. The influence of misinformation and the perverse profit incentive structure that promotes it, on the other hand, does.

No one will get it right 100% of the time. But if pressed to choose between public health officials and Mark Zuckerberg, I’m giving our health experts the benefit of the doubt here.

Drawing references to the Soviet Union isn’t really helpful.

The first Amendment exists for a reason. The issue I have is that they were pressured to censor free speech by the government. If FB wanted to do it in their own like with the Hunter Biden stuff, bully for them.

It creates moral hazard and a slippery slope. What if next time it’s Trump and he pressures FB to not discuss his current scandal of the moment?

Remind me again? Which party wants to control what books you can read and what you can/can’t do with your own body? Which party is saying they will eliminate the Department of Education?

When your plan is to implement 1984-type rule… you need the masses to be stupid.

Eliminating the Department of Education would not be the worst thing in the world. I oppose book banning. You don’t see this as analogous? Should RFK’s books be banned?

The first Amendment exists for a reason.

• Mark Zuckerburg

As I’m sure you know, for every case of a “crazy plaintiff” there are probably well over 100 patients who never knew that they or their loved ones were the actual victims of medical malpractice. I do plaintiffs injury work, but never med mal because I need to keep the doctors on my side. Doctors are my friends. Over 30 years ago I worked in health care and can attest to the fact that (at least from what I saw) medical mistakes were always covered up, if possible. Doctors are notorious for not reporting their colleagues (for a lot of somewhat understandable reasons) including those who absolutely should not be practicing. I agree that there are “crazy” plaintiffs out there, but there are also a lot of very legitimate cases. I spend too much time talking people who call me out of trying to bring “crazy” claims. I wish I could just hang up on these people, but for professional reasons I have to be nice to them and hear them out before telling them that I don’t recommend they bring a claim.

That is a pretty bold statement that for every crazy patient there are well over 100 patients were victims of medical malpractice. Do you have any actual data to support this or do you just have an axe to grind with medical providers?

Agree. People, including doctors and nurses, make mistakes. One thing I love about my work is that there is insurance available to compensate people who have been hurt. I believe in trying to make people whole who have been wronged. I like insurance because it frees us to do the right thing to take care of people.

Because of the factors influencing the standard of care during Covid-times, the standard of care was actually lowered. And I’m not sure if people realize that— that’s what the waivers did, and we had to have the waivers to survive the onslaught of Covid cases.

The people hurt by Trump’s mismanagement and MAGA messaging was not just the Covid patients who died. Those patient’s families, other patients with non-Covid medical problems, their families, the nurses, the doctors— it was bad for them all.

I won’t give a citation, because I’m sure people will question my sources. Just do a Google Search and check some of the statistics. I’m not trying to be evasive. If you cannot find accurate information I will definitely find it for you. And I’m not putting down the medical establishment. I’m just saying that the vast majority of medical malpractice goes unreported.

One search you can do is for how many people die from medical malpractice a year. Again, I’m not coming out totally against the medical system. It’s just a known fact that the vast majority of malpractice is never reported.

I am not claiming there is not medical malpractice. I am questioning your claims of how much it happens in comparison to “crazy” patients.

DO you realize how often medical professionals are assaulted/harrased by patients? Do you realize it is becoming more and more common to have weapons screening systems in hospitals? The level of abuse medical professionals are taking from the patients (and families of patients) is not a small number either so I would be hard pressed to believe that medical malpractice is happening at a rate north of 100X. I can only reliably speak to data from the health system I am employed by for the incidents of workplace violence health care staff are subjected to from patients/visitors… but I doubt it is demonstrably different from other middle sized city healthcare locations.