Solar Eclipse - April 8th, 2024

Who’s going to be right in the path? We’ll be at something like 99.95% which is a bit of a kick in the nuts, but I am looking forward to it.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/content/dam/ctvnews/en/images/2023/12/15/2024-eclipse-1-6689563-1702675621952.jpg

I will be (in Austin area). Already have groups of people coming to stay for the event.

Booked a hotel in a small town outside Indy. just over 4 min of totality where we will be. Booked hotel April 8th 2023 as most hotels apparently wont let you book more than a year out, online anyhow.

FYI, one of the things I read about mistakes people make, thinking that 99.95% is better than 99% or 98% as they said, its like pregnancy you either are seeing a total eclipse or your not. Strongly recomend you make a plan to drive into a 100% range.

Nother fun fact, a long time ago they were trying to get people in like downtown NY or some other big city that was to have totality report back, in the end the forcasted range was off by like 10 city blocks… They say they are better now, but at the fringe, their can still be small discrepancies. No need to get into the the exact middle (other than it will add a few seconds) but don’t look at a map and think oh we are right on the edge, it might be off. Drive a mile or 2 in just to be safe.

The Cleveland Guardians look to be rescheduling their baseball game as it conflicts and they really did not think being the next Guardians of the Galaxy was a good look.

Stolen from NPR and wait wait don’t tell me show.

I’m in the Austin area and about an hour away from where the best spot is indicated to be.

You mean they’re moving the PED days for all the schools in TO and it won’t even hit?

Looks like we’ll be inside the edge of it at around 3:27pm, but it won’t last long in Montreal…to the South of us is the centre, maybe I’ll go to Plattsburgh for the day and get some Chick Fil-A at the same time!

You mean they’re moving the PED days for all the schools in TO and it won’t even hit?

Looks like we’ll be inside the edge of it at around 3:27pm, but it won’t last long in Montreal…to the South of us is the centre, maybe I’ll go to Plattsburgh for the day and get some Chick Fil-A at the same time!

Ours kids can’t go out for recess if a fox has been spotted in the schoolyard. So yeah, of course they are changing PA days.

Flying out from L.A. to Austin and driving to Marble Falls… hoping for clear skies!!!

I will reiterate Dave Hamm’s point. I’ve heard it said seeing 98% is like flying a Cessna; Seeing 100% is like jumping out of it. Two completely different experiences, and I agree. I’ve seen high 90s even up to 98 or so. We flew up to OR to see 2017 (?) totality. Absolutely two different and incomparable experiences. Get to totality if you can

Ok so at 99.95 or whatever we are, that’s not going to get us total darkness?

Seems like a stupid question but I have not seen a full eclipse before.

No. You’ll get a very weird, diffuse light, but won’t go total dark. And you need to keep your glasses on the whole time.

Totality is like a 360 degree sunset. Birds will actually stop singing thinking it is night. And during totality you can take the glasses off and stare straight at the eclipse. It will blow your mind. Not ashamed to say I shed a tear or two it was so overwhelmingly beautiful

Before I actually saw it, I also would have just thought 99.5 is pretty good

Flying out from L.A. to Austin and driving to Marble Falls… hoping for clear skies!!!

I will reiterate Dave Hamm’s point. I’ve heard it said seeing 98% is like flying a Cessna; Seeing 100% is like jumping out of it. Two completely different experiences, and I agree. I’ve seen high 90s even up to 98 or so. We flew up to OR to see 2017 (?) totality. Absolutely two different and incomparable experiences. Get to totality if you can

I live about 15 miles from Marble Falls.

We’re in the path (Austin area)-- going to go a little bit west to be a little closer to the center of the totality path, though our house is supposed to have a bit less than 2 minutes of darkness… Was going to head even further out, but it sounds like it might be a zoo in some of the small towns. We had thought about going camping, but with this happening in the middle of the afternoon (obviously), decided not to hassle with that, so hoping to just hang out at my sister’s until time.

Thanks for the point about the 99% vs 100%.

I’m excited for this. And my husband took a day off work, so we can drive out a bit (to some rural road) if needed.

Anyone know the most reliable source for viewing glasses? I have a pair from the eclipse a few years ago (the one trump looked at), but need at least one more pair.

You can get them on Amazon.

I’d get them sooner rather than later as they may be hard to get. Make sure they are certified, and not chinese knockoffs. That happened a lot in 2017

I live about 15 miles from Marble Falls.

Any local recs? We’re staying at some glamping teepees in the area for two nights

https://www.talulamesa.com/

No. You’ll get a very weird, diffuse light, but won’t go total dark. And you need to keep your glasses on the whole time.

Totality is like a 360 degree sunset. Birds will actually stop singing thinking it is night. And during totality you can take the glasses off and stare straight at the eclipse. It will blow your mind. Not ashamed to say I shed a tear or two it was so overwhelmingly beautiful

You have given me goosebumps. This will be our first.

Already contemplating the next one. Greenland or Spain (or edge of iceland) Aug 12th 2026

Cool site lists all in the next 10 yrs. Lots of options really. 2027 Doesn’t seem to go through the best place’s in the world (although threw the straights of Gibraltar would be cool) . But 2028 we could do down under goes right through Sydney.

https://www.timeanddate.com/...ist-total-solar.html

You have given me goosebumps. This will be our first.

Already contemplating the next one. Greenland or Spain (or edge of iceland) Aug 12th 2026

Cool site lists all in the next 10 yrs. Lots of options really. 2027 Doesn’t seem to go through the best place’s in the world (although threw the straights of Gibraltar would be cool) . But 2028 we could do down under goes right through Sidney.

https://www.timeanddate.com/...ist-total-solar.html

After the first one, my wife and i said we understood why people chase them all over the world. But that gets expensive and iffy. Had friends in Indonesia last year for the full (we were coincidentally there also but in about a 80% zone) and had cloud cover the whole time,

Bluebonnet Cafe is famous for their pie. Traditional American fare for food. Also well known for the breakfast. Looks like a traditional diner.

Double Horn and Bear Brewery have decent beers. I’ve had food at Double Horn. It was tasty.

Jardin Corona has good Mexican food.

Oli’s Kitchen was OK for Mexican food.

Doc’s Fish Camp is ok for a small, central Texas town.
River City Grille’s only redeeming quality is that it overlooks the water. You don’t go there for the food or service.

Spider Mountain is the only lift served mtb park in the state. They rent bikes as well.
Same operator as Angel Fire in NM.

Also, just checked out where you’re staying. Didn’t see an address but looks like it is just off of 1431. That puts you close to Flat Creek Estate which is a winery and very nice restaurant.

Bluebonnet Cafe is famous for their pie. Traditional American fare for food. Also well known for the breakfast. Looks like a traditional diner.

Double Horn and Bear Brewery have decent beers. I’ve had food at Double Horn. It was tasty.

Jardin Corona has good Mexican food.

Oli’s Kitchen was OK for Mexican food.

Doc’s Fish Camp is ok for a small, central Texas town.
River City Grille’s only redeeming quality is that it overlooks the water. You don’t go there for the food or service.

Spider Mountain is the only lift served mtb park in the state. They rent bikes as well.
Same operator as Angel Fire in NM.

Also, just checked out where you’re staying. Didn’t see an address but looks like it is just off of 1431. That puts you close to Flat Creek Estate which is a winery and very nice restaurant.

Excellent, thanks will print this out.

Ok… so you really need to be dead-nut under it? I’m asking as my parent’s camp is “in the path” and scheduled for 2-1/2 minutes; this does not sound like totality to me. Should this be a thing where, fuck the camp, drive the extea half- to three-quarters of an hour nortb still so we’re dead-nut??

• Jeff