Sodium citrate price

Hello
I will try mixing table sugar with water for bike training. I will use 90 grams in 750ml bottle for 1hour.
I would like to add 500-1000mg of sodium
In my country i cannot find sodium citrate!!!
I can only use my table salt :slight_smile:
But i am reading that sodium nitrate can cause gastric problems. I am old and have my old shittjng problems without this :slight_smile:
Where can i buy in europe sodium citrate??
Tenks

And if anyone have better solution or mix for fuelling???

It is commonly used to make cheese. You might find it at a specialty food store.

I found several on amazon.co.uk

Where in Europe are you talking about?

As a benchmark. Here in the US on Amazon you can find it for $10 for 1lb (454g) and $25 for 5lb.

Hello
I will try mixing table sugar with water for bike training. I will use 90 grams in 750ml bottle for 1hour.
But i am reading that sodium nitrate can cause gastric problems. I am old and have my old shittjng problems without this :slight_smile:
Tenks

It sounds like you think table salt is sodium nitrate when in actuality it is sodium chloride.

Hello
Tenks

It sounds like you think table salt is sodium nitrate when in actuality it is sodium chloride.

Yeah. You are right. Sodium chloride.

https://www.amazon.de/Sodium-Citrate-Highest-Quality-Instructions/dp/B016S9AERK/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?crid=3E4XZ9XW5VVTU&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.mUxfL1PufO7sl8AC_lLIxNvWlLwVGiZbrwQK6lTV9KdXxzy20YMjHs-PAEwNKnVv__MwdupjrLr9kvRPQV5K-l0OFUzlzeo-kJmy1NnM08hlRTn75HneeJODf0EMmF8q7X0r9aQS5If-H5D9YggvMmoocCp8o8OD_GNBZPiTVgDyXQc0hrV036B1zSlwCvEeqx7wCCxafTQ4s5PwvLSxGg.s-5o5u4_1IKHBzXvsuU_z_7Sy-OeQ6lCAh9ggLnGO_Y&dib_tag=se&keywords=sodium+citrate&qid=1724396773&sprefix=sodium+c%2Caps%2C98&sr=8-3

Is this ok?

How much sodium is in 1g of table salt?
How much sodium is in 1 g of sodium citrate?

Way too expensive, see for example https://www.amazon.nl/-/en/dp/B09KR512NB?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_fed_asin_title

Sodium has a molar mass of 22 gram/mol
(tri) Sodium Citrate has a molar mass of 258 gram/mol (66 gram is Sodium)
Sodium Chloride has a molar mass of 58.4 gram/mol (22 gram is Sodium)

How much sodium is in 1g sodium citrate and 1g table salt???

Not mol and so

I figured that with the molar mass the math is easy, here we go:

1 gram of NaCL gives you 1/58.4 mol (=0.017 mol). If we multiply that with the molar mass of Sodium we get about 0.38 gram of Sodium in 1 gram of Sodium Chloride (table salt)
1 gram of Sodium Citrate gives you 1/258 mol (=0.0038 mol). If we multiply that with three molar masses of Sodium (it’s tri-Sodium Citrate) we get 0.26 gram of Sodium in 1 gram of tri-Sodium Citrate.

*Note that I made some rounding simplifications here and there so it might be a percent off. *

For completeness I also asked Copilot (the funny thing is that it links back to Slowtwitch):
“Tri-sodium citrate (Na₃C₆Hâ‚…O₇) contains approximately 26.7% sodium by mass1. This means that in 1 gram of tri-sodium citrate, there are about 0.267 grams of sodium.”

“Sodium chloride (NaCl), commonly known as table salt, is composed of approximately 39.3% sodium by mass1. This means that in 1 gram of sodium chloride, there are about 0.393 grams of sodium.”

Sodium nitrate will make your performance… explode

I figured that with the molar mass the math is easy, here we go:

1 gram of NaCL gives you 1/58.4 mol (=0.017 mol). If we multiply that with the molar mass of Sodium we get about 0.38 gram of Sodium in 1 gram of Sodium Chloride (table salt)
1 gram of Sodium Citrate gives you 1/258 mol (=0.0038 mol). If we multiply that with three molar masses of Sodium (it’s tri-Sodium Citrate) we get 0.26 gram of Sodium in 1 gram of tri-Sodium Citrate.

*Note that I made some rounding simplifications here and there so it might be a percent off. *

For completeness I also asked Copilot (the funny thing is that it links back to Slowtwitch):
“Tri-sodium citrate (Na₃C₆Hâ‚…O₇) contains approximately 26.7% sodium by mass1. This means that in 1 gram of tri-sodium citrate, there are about 0.267 grams of sodium.”

“Sodium chloride (NaCl), commonly known as table salt, is composed of approximately 39.3% sodium by mass1. This means that in 1 gram of sodium chloride, there are about 0.393 grams of sodium.”

So if i understand
For 1000mg of sodium i need to put 4g of sodium citrate?
If i put this in a 750ml bottle with 90g of white sugar will this be drinkable???

Yes, your biggest struggle is going to be weighing exactly 1 gram, if that’s what you’re going for. If you end up with 1.1 gram, you’re already 10% off.

Yes, your biggest struggle is going to be weighing exactly 1 gram, if that’s what you’re going for. If you end up with 1.1 gram, you’re already 10% off.

And then what?i die becouse of your sarcasm?

Smart ass…

Smart ass…

No… I suppose you want to hit a certain amount of sodium and not guess. What’s the point of doing the math if you don’t end up putting in the right number?

Your kitchen scale most likely has a resolution of 1 gram. So that kan be either 0.5 or 1.5 gram, if you don’t know when it rounds to the next digit (I don’t for mine). I mix it in a bigger batch to avoid these mistakes.

Maybe a thank you is more in order than being called “smart ass”?

Smart ass…

No… I suppose you want to hit a certain amount of sodium and not guess. What’s the point of doing the math if you don’t end up putting in the right number?

Your kitchen scale most likely has a resolution of 1 gram. So that kan be either 0.5 or 1.5 gram, if you don’t know when it rounds to the next digit (I don’t for mine). I mix it in a bigger batch to avoid these mistakes.

Maybe a thank you is more in order than being called “smart ass”?

My scale is 0,1g so whats the problem?
Tenks you smart ass :). Just joking

Just in case you might consider measuring your sodium source with a teaspoon, I just carefully weighed 4 leveled teaspoons of sodium citrate with a micro scale that reads to the 100th of a gram and found it to have a mass of 18.35 grams or 4.585 grams per tsp… At .267 grams of sodium per gram of sodium citrate that would work out to 1224mg./tsp of sodium per teaspoon of sodium citrate.

YMMV

Hugh

Tenks
But it funny how american have funny measurments
Cup
Feet
Spoon
What else
How many belly button of watter do you drink a day?
How many mililitres are in belly button hole? :slight_smile:
How tall are you? 10 bananas and 3 oranges
Inch
Mile

Omg

Tenks
But it funny how american have funny measurments
Cup
Feet
Spoon
What else
How many belly button of watter do you drink a day?
How many mililitres are in belly button hole? :slight_smile:
How tall are you? 10 bananas and 3 oranges
Inch
Mile

Omg

Fair enough. One teaspoon equals ~4.93 ml. If 5ml measuring spoons are used in your part of the world that’s an easy path.

Just in case you might consider measuring your sodium source with a teaspoon, I just carefully weighed 4 leveled teaspoons of sodium citrate with a micro scale that reads to the 100th of a gram and found it to have a mass of 18.35 grams or 4.585 grams per tsp… At .267 grams of sodium per gram of sodium citrate that would work out to 1224mg./tsp of sodium per teaspoon of sodium citrate.

YMMV

Hugh

What was the variation per spoon?