Sober Curious

This seems to be a growing trend, especially with younger generations. Is the trend towards less or no alcohol offset by the increase in marijuana and vaping? It seems that there are lots of A list celebrities who have gotten sober. I don’t ever remember seeing this as much as I have recently, but that may be algorithm driven social media amplifying what’s really happening.

With recent science around alcohol, it seems that at the very least, people are much more aware of it’s effects on health and wellness.

With two teen girls, I’m hoping that the trend becomes bigger and that they’ll be part of it. I see a lot of upside to abstaining, especially for women.

This seems to be a growing trend, especially with younger generations. Is the trend towards less or no alcohol offset by the increase in marijuana and vaping? It seems that there are lots of A list celebrities who have gotten sober. I don’t ever remember seeing this as much as I have recently, but that may be algorithm driven social media amplifying what’s really happening.

With recent science around alcohol, it seems that at the very least, people are much more aware of it’s effects on health and wellness.

With two teen girls, I’m hoping that the trend becomes bigger and that they’ll be part of it. I see a lot of upside to abstaining, especially for women.

I am not sure I want to ask this, why do you think there is more of an advantage to women, abstaining from drinking but ingesting THC more?

I am not sure I want to ask this, why do you think there is more of an advantage to women, abstaining from drinking but ingesting THC more?

That wasn’t my takeaway from his post.

I have no idea how you arrived at the bolded part, but that was not what I said/meant.

I have no idea how you arrived at the bolded part, but that was not what I said/meant.

HOW I arrived at the bolded part… THAT WAS YOUR LAST COMMENT. ITS LITERALLY WHAT YOU SAID.

This seems to be a growing trend, especially with younger generations. **Is the trend towards less or no alcohol offset by the increase in marijuana and vaping? **It seems that there are lots of A list celebrities who have gotten sober. I don’t ever remember seeing this as much as I have recently, but that may be algorithm driven social media amplifying what’s really happening.

I see it as not a complete offset.
Formerly, I worked in food service equipment manufacturing - selling to restaurants including chains. Very much an alcohol forward industry. The large tradeshows highlighted the trend torwards normalizing sobriety / sober curious. Bars and restaurants depend heavily on alcohol sales for margin.
Thus, promoting mocktails, and other revenue replacement options. And thus equipment designed and promoted to cater to the trend.
Along with social options at the shows for those in recovery.

Personal anecdotes, I am alcohol free since Jan 1. It helps that my social network now includes folks who are dry. My bar trivia team, that clinched the season win with 4 games left to play, i cludes one other sober member - a buddy from mtb.
Some of the other team leaders I work with now are also sober, which I appreciate snd find refreshing.
Alcohol misuse runs in my family. My older brother quit drinking after becoming a father a few years back, similar to our father growing up - who recently had an incident and thus is dry again.
I was consistently drinking 2-3 beers daily last year. I had periods for 10 years where binge drinking every weekend was the norm. Common and socially encouraged in Wisconsin.

I believe we have threads here about low ABV or NA beers such as athletic brewing.

Regarding gen z or whatever your definition for younger folks, I’ll have to look it up, but I believe their self reported use of any substance underage is down.

Could be attributed to many things IMO. Social media - reluctance to be shown in any nefative light. Opioid epidemic - risks associated.

This seems to be a growing trend, especially with younger generations. **Is the trend towards less or no alcohol offset by the increase in marijuana and vaping? **It seems that there are lots of A list celebrities who have gotten sober. I don’t ever remember seeing this as much as I have recently, but that may be algorithm driven social media amplifying what’s really happening.

I see it as not a complete offset.
Formerly, I worked in food service equipment manufacturing - selling to restaurants including chains. Very much an alcohol forward industry. The large tradeshows highlighted the trend torwards normalizing sobriety / sober curious. Bars and restaurants depend heavily on alcohol sales for margin.
Thus, promoting mocktails, and other revenue replacement options. And thus equipment designed and promoted to cater to the trend.
Along with social options at the shows for those in recovery.

Personal anecdotes, I am alcohol free since Jan 1. It helps that my social network now includes folks who are dry. My bar trivia team, that clinched the season win with 4 games left to play, i cludes one other sober member - a buddy from mtb.
Some of the other team leaders I work with now are also sober, which I appreciate snd find refreshing.

But no clue why this would be any different for my 3 daughters.
Alcohol misuse runs in my family. My older brother quit drinking after becoming a father a few years back, similar to our father growing up - who recently had an incident and thus is dry again.
I was consistently drinking 2-3 beers daily last year. I had periods for 10 years where binge drinking every weekend was the norm. Common and socially encouraged in Wisconsin.

I believe we have threads here about low ABV or NA beers such as athletic brewing.

Regarding gen z or whatever your definition for younger folks, I’ll have to look it up, but I believe their self reported use of any substance underage is down.

Could be attributed to many things IMO. Social media - reluctance to be shown in any nefative light. Opioid epidemic - risks associated.

Well as a Gen x’r I am drinking less and eating more THC. No hangovers, doesn’t impact the gut as much, just a much better experience all around. Only thing is alchol it takes drinks and slowly builds, one gummy wait an hour and it starts to build, for me lasts several hours then after, and at some point off to bed, to sleep really well. Wake up feeling fine.

HOW I arrived at the bolded part… THAT WAS YOUR LAST COMMENT. ITS LITERALLY WHAT YOU SAID.

You’re just wrong. I never stated anything about women ingesting THC instead of drinking. My comment is that it’s especially beneficial for women to abstain from alcohol.

…uh, Are you high?

You’re just wrong. I never stated anything about women ingesting THC instead of drinking. My comment is that it’s especially beneficial for women to abstain from alcohol.

I read it the same way that Dave did.

That being said, my experience, is male or female alcohol leads to much more stupid and often regrettable behavior than marijuana does. I’ve never really felt like my inhibitions are lowered by marijuana anything like they were by alcohol.

I agree with trail.

That being said, my experience, is male or female alcohol leads to much more stupid and often regrettable behavior than marijuana does. I’ve never really felt like my inhibitions are lowered by marijuana anything like they were by alcohol.

I have zero direct experience with THC so I have no comment there. I find it somewhat odd of how heavily intertwined alcohol has become in so many cultures, while other substances are culturally unacceptable and even illegal. Can’t smoke a cigarette on TV, but alcohol is glorified. Both are poisons, and it seems obvious that alcohol creates more problems in our culture than cigarettes, yet cigarettes are demonized. Alcohol, and all of the problems it brings, which are extensive, is everywhere. Weird.

Same here, you inferred ingesting had taken the place of drinking.

With marijuana becoming more acceptable/legal these days, you see more of it in the open. So there’s the perception that it’s increased now vs. prior generations? Walk around nyc, and the smell is public and prevalent, whereas people used to partake privately.

Is there less alcohol use for kids (teens/college) these days? Walk through a college dorm or along frat row, and there’s plenty of evidence of beer/alcohol. At least as much as there always was.

Be interesting if there’s actual data out there.

Ignoring the complete sidetrack because people misunderstood your point that has now been clarified.

There are definitely different reasons people drink alcohol. The social bonding, drinking for taste, one or two drink, wine at dinner kind of drinking doesn’t really translate to THC. There are a lot of people and a lot of time people drink completely separate from the effects of alcohol.

The only reason to eat an edible is the effects of THC.

And the effects of THC and alcohol are very different. You can debate whether they are good or bad. But you don’t generally plan a night out with friends meeting people and getting rowdy by starting with using THC.

They don’t translate to one or the other. There are a lot of people that like the effects of one and not the other. And if you are a problematic user of one, changing to the other probably won’t fix that.

Ignoring the complete sidetrack because people misunderstood your point that has now been clarified.

There are definitely different reasons people drink alcohol. The social bonding, drinking for taste, one or two drink, wine at dinner kind of drinking doesn’t really translate to THC. There are a lot of people and a lot of time people drink completely separate from the effects of alcohol.

And the effects of THC and alcohol are very different. You can debate whether they are good or bad. But you don’t generally plan a night out with friends meeting people and getting rowdy by starting with using THC.

They don’t translate to one or the other. There are a lot of people that like the effects of one and not the other. And if you are a problematic user of one, changing to the other probably won’t fix that.

That’s actually really helpful.

Back in the day I enjoyed the ritual around smoking pot. Definitely in my circle there was never a let’s get high and go out and get rowdy, mostly let’s watch something funny and stuff our faces. Then again I was never with guys that really got rowdy and stupid drinking either. I’ve heard plenty of unfortunate/regrettable stories from women and they almost always involve excessive alcohol consumption.

I genuinely tried to make the switch a number of years ago. Never was a weed user, but thought I’d try to supplant my alcohol consumption with THC. Didn’t work. I don’t like THC highs. It is just very different for me and I don’t like the feeling. I’m good with buzz from booze. IDK, maybe i’m just way too old and too many years used to alcohol feeling at this point.

With marijuana becoming more acceptable/legal these days, you see more of it in the open. So there’s the perception that it’s increased now vs. prior generations? Walk around nyc, and the smell is public and prevalent, whereas people used to partake privately.

Is there less alcohol use for kids (teens/college) these days? Walk through a college dorm or along frat row, and there’s plenty of evidence of beer/alcohol. At least as much as there always was.

Be interesting if there’s actual data out there.

The data is somewhat complex - don’t mean to disparage you with a pat on the head answer, but I at least find the data somewhat in tension with itself sometimes. But the short answer seems to be yes, less booze, more cannabis/hallucinogens.

https://nida.nih.gov/...mong-adults-35-to-50

"M*arijuana Use: *For adults aged 19 to 30, the percentages of those reporting past-year marijuana use and daily marijuana use reached their highest levels ever reported by the study. Past-year use was reported by approximately 44% of those surveyed in 2022, an increase from five years ago (35% in 2017) and 10 years ago (28% in 2012). Daily marijuana use also reached its highest level reported in 2022 (11%), which was greater than five years (8% in 2017) and 10 years ago (6% in 2012)."

“*Hallucinogen Use: Among adults aged 19 to 30, 8% reported past-year use of hallucinogens, significantly higher than five years ago (5% in 2017) and 10 years ago (3% in 2012). Types of hallucinogens reported by participants included LSD, MDMA, mescaline, peyote, shrooms or psilocybin, and PCP. Most of past-year use in 2022 reported by adults in this age group involved hallucinogens other than LSD (7% in 2022).” *

“Alcohol Use: Over the past decade, rates of alcohol use – including past-month use, daily drinking, and binge drinking – have shown an overall downward trend for adults 19 to 30 years old. Past-year drinking slightly increased for this age group in 2022 (84%) compared to five years ago (82% in 2017).”