So whos using table sugar for fuel and why?

so whos using table sugar for fuel and hows it going
so is it a 50/50 ratio of glucose and sucrose??
how do you mix it ?
how do u do a multi hr bottle (how many hrs)?
how many carbs a hr are u getting ?

have u noticed any benefits , eg better gut absorption
is it easy to drink when hot and hows the stickyness

please feel free to add any pros and cons
thanks

Working with Dr. Alex Harrison, here’s my personal mix:

Gatorade: 1 cup (I purchase 76.5oz canister of powder, mainly to add flavor. I do Glacier Cherry)
Sugar: 8 cup (dump 4lb bag of normal table sugar into my 5 gallon glass container)
**Sodium Citrate: 6 tbsp **(2lb canister - Nutricost Sodium Citrate Powder)

Per 33oz Bottle: 2 scoops = 0.5 cup (use scoop that comes in the Gatorade canister)

Per Bottle Nutrition:
117g carbs
1283mg sodium

Drink one bottle per hour

This is worth viewing if you haven’t seen it already:

https://youtu.be/vT-PBsSLX3U?si=LwH9rAmHgOxWMXWd

I use it because it’s cheap, convenient, and readily accessible anywhere with a standard grocery store (so if you need it on a trip/race you’re not out of luck if you somehow lose or misplace your fuel sources.)

I use similar to Dr Harrison recs, 1/3 cup of brown sugar (255calories) + 1/4 or 1/2 tsp of salt (500 or 1150mg sodium) per bottle, for drinking about one bottle per hour. I just shake the bottle vigorously, and good to go.

You can 3x this easily as well and make a concentrate bottle, easily dissolves with just a little stovetop heating (trivially easy.)

Mine looks something like this

25g fructose
50g maltodextrin
25g sugar

~1g sodium citrate

Maltodextrin is not sweet but has a faster absorption rate than sugar. I’ll usually add in some maple syrup to top off the bottles.

plus coyle got this from the mouth from the south aka durianrider, and durianrider got it from the kenyans

chuck in 200 - 300 grams for sugar into a protein shake drink, shake it around and good for a pretty quality 2-3 hour session

As with above, my triathlon nutrition success is full credit to Dr. Alex Harrison and his posts here on ST. I’ve slowly worked all the way up to 325g of table sugar and 3,500mg sodium citrate in a single bottle for a HIM bike (2:15-2:25).
Pro: One bottle, simple, dirt cheap.
Cons: All eggs in one basket & I’ve found I need to consume more water to avoid stomach issues.

so whos using table sugar for fuel and hows it going
so is it a 50/50 ratio of glucose and sucrose??
how do you mix it ?
how do u do a multi hr bottle (how many hrs)?
how many carbs a hr are u getting ?

have u noticed any benefits , eg better gut absorption
is it easy to drink when hot and hows the stickyness

please feel free to add any pros and cons
thanks

All your questions answered here

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/saturday-pro-fuel-hydration/id6444738746

Completely free trial. Don’t even need to enter a credit card

Yeah, I use the app. I put in my training, it spits out a bunch of numbers, I pour and weigh stuff and get to work. I don’t think about it beyond that.

First year on the table sugar. Training has gone very well! Zero upset or diarrhea. Including a 7 hour bike session(155miles). It can be hard to force down the concentrated mix toward the end of a ride but chasing with water helps.

HIM - 500ml aero bottle, 180g sugar, one scoop orange Gatorade, 5,000mg sodium citrate. Might take a strong caffeinated gel towards the end for the run. 2 bottles of additional water per hour. This mix gets me through a 2:15 effort.

IM- 2 of these bottles.

I’d like to try even more sugar but even at this amount, mixing them up freaks me out. It’s essentially an entire bottle of sugar with a little water.

I also work with Dr. Harrison, through the Saturday app.

My “1 serving” is about 25g of carbs. This is one Hammer Perpetuem2 scoop and one plan sugar hammer scoop. I use the mix because I like the chocolate flavor, sugar is cheap and you really don’t need anything else.

Sometimes I have one serving in a 24oz water, probably with 1/4 tsp of table salt, and something 2.

Like others, I’m in dr. Alex’s care and we work together to optimize my performance 😂 (i.e., I use Saturday).

Sugar is 50/50 glucose and fructose. Anything else - a waste of money, IF you are able to get enough sugar and salt for your workout/race.

I even put in a sealable bag the part of my sugar-salt mix that I cannot (or so I think) put in the bottles for a 3+ hour session, and mix it with purchased water on the road once there’s room in the bottles.

As with above, my triathlon nutrition success is full credit to Dr. Alex Harrison and his posts here on ST. I’ve slowly worked all the way up to 325g of table sugar and 3,500mg sodium citrate in a single bottle for a HIM bike (2:15-2:25).
Pro: One bottle, simple, dirt cheap.
Cons: All eggs in one basket & I’ve found I need to consume more water to avoid stomach issues.
thanks for the info
so how many carbs is that ??

First year on the table sugar. Training has gone very well! Zero upset or diarrhea. Including a 7 hour bike session(155miles). It can be hard to force down the concentrated mix toward the end of a ride but chasing with water helps.

HIM - 500ml aero bottle, 180g sugar, one scoop orange Gatorade, 5,000mg sodium citrate. Might take a strong caffeinated gel towards the end for the run. 2 bottles of additional water per hour. This mix gets me through a 2:15 effort.

IM- 2 of these bottles.

I’d like to try even more sugar but even at this amount, mixing them up freaks me out. It’s essentially an entire bottle of sugar with a little water.
how many carbs is that ??

thanbks

so is there any difference in white table sugar and brown sugar (apart from the obvious).

1 g of sugar = 1 gram of carbs

I’ve been competing for about 40 years now and never during that time did I find anything that agreed with my stomach consistently. Eventually just went to fasted training and racing, as they would call it now and focused on stuff under 2 hours. A couple years ago someone suggested rice cakes and/or rice crispy squares, which was better than anything I had used before, but still caused me some stomach distress now and then. A couple months ago I tried the Saturday app and it has been a complete paradigm shift for me. I generally had to ride very slow went I went longer than two hours and would just accept that I would start fading in power from the three hour mark until I finished whatever I was doing.
Now I am maintaining my average power throughout my event or training session and hitting power numbers that I thought were gone forever.
Last weekend I raced my hometown gravel race in Vernal, Utah and was 32 minutes faster than the year before where I had what I would consider a good race (4:37 to 4:05). NP went from 152 to 196. Now, some of that was greater fitness but at least half of it was because I maintained good power for a solid three hours to the top of the climb. Not one time has it caused stomach distress and I’ve done it before hard intervals even. I have not yet tested for a more intense one-hour race, but that is coming. I mix up two bottles before the race and carry the mixture for two more. My standard bottle is 70 grams carbs, a little more than 1/2 a teaspoon of sodium citrate and some flavoring. I use little former M&M tubes to carry the mixture in a bike bag or pocket. I’ve done up to six hours and have yet to bonk.

Just as important, I can eat right after exercise and recover better for the next session. I just works for me. Plain sugar. Salt for regular training days and the SC for long days.

I use it. Just fill a water bottle with water, crystal light flavor packet and tablespoon or so of sugar. Why? Why not? I’m just looking to get in some carbs while riding. If it’s a longish ride, I’ll take a cereal bar or two to have as well.

When I was working out with table sugar I tried ~65 grams of sugar with a big scoop of Gatorade per 24oz bottle then 65 grams with unsweetened Kool-aid. I seemed to get an upset stomach from it at higher intensities.

I then switched the table sugar to CarboPro and I had good success. It was cheap and easy to make.

After a while I used infinit hot weather formula which seemed to settle my stomach after rough swims for some reason but my local stores stopped selling it and it seemed to get really expensive so I went back to straight Gatorade and gels.

A few years ago I wanted to get back to CarboPro because it was economical but that price went through the roof to get it delivered so I tried something else.

I found a big 8 lbs canister of Now Sports Carbo Gain that works as well as CarboPro did and is reasonably priced. I normally add 1/2 cup (65 grams) and 1 big scoop of Gatorade to a 24oz water bottle and drink from that.

TLDR: I found maltodextrin works better for me than table sugar.

I use it. Just fill a water bottle with water, crystal light flavor packet and tablespoon or so of sugar. Why? Why not? I’m just looking to get in some carbs while riding. If it’s a longish ride, I’ll take a cereal bar or two to have as well.
Why Crystal light over Country Time? The later has a little fructose, but is otherwise same stuff?