Smoke Alarms - WTAF?

This morning about 4:30, I’m quietly sipping coffee working through my morning games when suddenly all the smoke and smoke/CO2 alarms in the house go off. As I’m sprinting through the house looking for the culprit they suddenly stop, and one of them chirps 3 times quickly, then all silent. They all showed a solid green light during and after the few minutes of chaos. They’ve all been silent for almost an hour and all lights are still green.

All alarms were replaced last year, batteries all less than a year old as well.

Any guesses what tripped the alarms?

Ghost

1 Like

Damn, you got there first.

1 Like

Any renovations recently? Any fans etc that could have thrown up dust? Can you pinpoint which alarm triggered to help narrow it down?

After 90 some-dd minutes have passed I do think it’s dust on one of them. I found one continuously blinking green and has some dust on the outside built up, so it’s the likely the culprit. When the wife wakes I’ll try pull it down and clean it and try to clear the alarm.

You’d be surprised

I think smoke alarms work by detecting ionization or static or something micro-electrical, which can be triggered like an EMF or REM-Pod would be

We had this about ten years ago. All four of the alarms in the house at random times would go off. When they go off at 3 am and the little kids are all alarmed and crying it makes for good times. I ended up just replacing them all. Because of liability concerns there are only a few manufacturers of smoke alarms. Or at least there were only a few. No idea what situation is now.

She slept through every alarm going off?

I just replaced them all last year. I think the one covered in dust was the culprit.

Oh no, she went back to bed. I didn’t dare mess around with them until she was up for good.

Don’t take this personally, but were there unusually noxious gasses in your house?

:mask:

Nothing noxious that I could smell. I think it was just a shit load of dust.

24 hours have passed and nary a single chirp from the smoke detectors. I pull the suspect detector down, vacuumed the dust as best I could and it’s been showing a solid green light ever since.

1 Like

We have hardwired smoke/CO2 detectors with battery backups. We have to change the batteries every 6 months instead of every year out of fear one will blare at us at 2:30 in the morning. In 5 years we’ve had middle of the night alerts (full blown FIRE and beeping) 4 times. Having been through a legit house fire at midnight once it shakes everyone’s nerves.