Silca Waxing Kit

Hey - I’m planning on making the switch from using chain degreaser/lube to waxing and am looking at the Silca waxing kit. Just want to make sure I’m getting everything that’s needed. Any feedback?

-Chain waxing system ($100)
-Strip chips ($24)
-Hot wax melt ($40)

Anything else?

I use mineral spirits to clean the chain three times and then I clean it in acetone.

I use a mini crockpot that I got for free on NextDoor. Paraffin wax at Walmart is about $4 per pound. I pull the chain out of the wax and wipe it with a paper towel.

Wax paper from the grocery store to cover everything in the vacinity so your partner doesn’t get mad about wax drops (or so I’ve heard).

Seriously though, the strip chip is freaking magic! Saves so much time, mess, and disposal compared to mineral spirits and acetone.

I put the crockpot in a cardboard box on my backyard patio to catch any drips.

I use a wire hanger in an old crock pot. I pull the chain out and hang it on a cabinet handle above the crock pot.

I think I would make more of a mess with how tiny the Silca pot is.

Add me as one using the crock pot method. Super cheap and seems to work well. I did invest in the Silca wax. Not the strip chips as they were not out. So, I cleaned my original chains with degreaser and a final denatured alcohol rinse. Then, when my chain needed replacing I bought a pre cleaned pre waxed chain from Silca. So, for me the strip chips are not needed. I do not think you need a strip chip to clean an already waxed chain for wax application 2, 3, 4, etc…

crock pots… pffft. lol j/k/

i’ve been using mineral spirits and acetone to strip a new chain then using ultra sonic cleaner that is filled with wax. for subsequent chains, i just toss it in the cleaner and all the junk ends up on the bottom while the chain is suspended in the basket.

my next step is maybe use simple green in another ultrasonic cleaner to strip the chain instead of the mineral spirit/acetone. i just don’t enjoy that step. might pick up a large ultrasonic cleaner where i can throw in all bike parts like cranks etc, and even some car parts and just keep it full of simple green.

Strip chips are quick but you’re leaving that factory grease in the pot each time so you’ll get less use out of your wax in the long run.

If you’re going with Silca, their chain stripper solution works well and doesn’t take much longer. Also it’s less toxic than acetone / gasoline / whatever.

It’s expensive-ish, but you can reuse it several times if you run it through a coffee filter afterwards.

Edit: also while you’re at it, consider getting a connex chain - or just the connex quick link if you want to keep your chain. It is easy to pop on / off and doesn’t need replacing.

when you re-wax (2,3,4x) - do you just wipe the chain with a cloth / put it in crock pot/silca pot with new wax

is there any step (de-waxing?) between wipe down and put it in pot with new wax?

You can drop it in a jar of boiling water first if you want to get rid of most of the old wax. Don’t need to re-strip it though.

when you re-wax (2,3,4x) - do you just wipe the chain with a cloth / put it in crock pot/silca pot with new wax

is there any step (de-waxing?) between wipe down and put it in pot with new wax?

I just drop it in the crockpot.

I use Wippermann chains with Connex links.

Silca really screwed up their waxing kit by making the pot too small, especially for longer chains that have more than 126 links. Needless to say, I’m now back to using my old and trusty $10 crock-pot from the local Walmart.

+1 for the thrift store crock pot and paraffin wax method. Strip with mineral spirits, drip dry, then an hour or two in the hot wax. Boom, done.

Hey - I’m planning on making the switch from using chain degreaser/lube to waxing and am looking at the Silca waxing kit. Just want to make sure I’m getting everything that’s needed. Any feedback?

-Strip chips ($24)
-Hot wax melt ($40)

Anything else?

That is almost everything you need…for a new chain.* The only thing I would add is a pack of good microfiber cloths to wipe dirt/dust off the chain before rewaxing. You can get a pack for $5-10 on Amazon or at Target.

As others have pointed out, there are cheaper options. You may or may not care. Silca sells “Cadillac” products; always has.

Edit: You may also want some of the Silca drip-on wax to top-up the chain lube between chain removals/rewaxing.

*The strip chips are meant to remove factory packing grease, not existing chain lube and dirt. If you want to convert a used, lubed chain to wax; you need to clean it with degreaser first.

Can’t believe no one has mentioned just getting a crockpot… :wink:
But yeah, just spend $25 on a decent size crock pot. No need for the 100 small silca version.

Has anyone actually tried the strip chips? Not clear on why they are needed…

I used to do the the kmart crockpot way, then recently got the silca. Both have a place. The pot is smaller, but then I can do the chains in about the same time. Key was my crockpot wasn’t thermostatic, and that’s the advantage of the system (for me). I’d also like the system to come with a couple (or sell additional) loops. But I can’t work out how not to let the silca hangar end up in the wax. That said this is stopping my bike room floor being covered in cut zip tie loops.

I did find the silca stripper fluid easier than the white spirits/meths.

Re wax - very quick wipe and throw into wax pot. The dirt ends up at the bottom and if you find the chain starts coming out slightly dull then it’s time to change the wax.

Exec Summary. Nothing more needed.

But yeah, just spend $25 on a decent size crock pot. No need for the 100 small silca version.

Has anyone actually tried the strip chips? Not clear on why they are needed…Post 13. :wink:

Has anyone actually tried the strip chips? Not clear on why they are needed…

$15 on amazon, free shipping. I imagine even cheaper on Aliexpress.
The silca markup is just insane.

-Strip chips ($24)
-Hot wax melt ($40)

Anything else?

You might add the Super secret to use between waxings. The Silca pot is so much better than the crock pot and less likely to heat the wax too high making it compromised. It also heats up faster and keeps everything close at hand without mess. SRAM chains are like glue with the factory grease, so that takes a bit more care, although the stripper works really well for that. Some of the advice above has not been the best, as paraffin is NOT very good for chain efficiency, and if you don’t use the strip chips there should be baths of Mineral spirits, then up to 2 baths of citrus degreaser and lastly denatured alcohol to ensure the wax will stick to the chain. Without the alcohol there will likely be residue that will not get the wax to adhere well inside the links where it is paramount. I’ve been doing that for many customers as well as my chains and I’ll never go back to any form of other lube. Clean, efficient and adds durability to all drive train components. Josh has lots of good advice on the Silca YouTube channel also and I’m sure if you call them they will be very helpful. You will love the waxed chains…

Has anyone actually tried the strip chips? Not clear on why they are needed…Post 13. :wink:

Crockpot? Instapot baby