Should I tip TSA?

Flying with my bike on Monday. Knowing that TSA will open the case to inspect it, is it acceptable to leave a note (ie, thank you for keeping our flight safe. After checking out my bike, I would very much appreciate if you make sure the case is closed and secured properly. Have a great day!) and a $20?

Slightly different situation but I handed my (Canadian) passport to a US CBP officer once without realizing I’d folded and stored a couple of Benjamins in there. They were handed back with a half smile and comment about “it would take more than that”.

Slightly different situation but I handed my (Canadian) passport to a US CBP officer once without realizing I’d folded and stored a couple of Benjamins in there. They were handed back with a half smile and comment about “it would take more than that”.

Ha! I found this, so maybe a note but no cash.

Kathleen Clark, a law professor at Washington University in St. Louis and federal ethics expert, explains that while there is no law that overtly prohibits “tipping,” there are strict regulations on bribery. While the motive of giving a gift to a TSA employee might be well-intentioned, if caught, the charges for bribery are no joke. Under federal law, the TSA Agent, or the passenger who tips, could face a up to five years in prison or a civil fine of up to $50,000 or both.

I think tipping any public official is playing with fire. It is basically bribery given that the public official is the guardian of something that the government on behalf of voters has entrusted them to do. Tipping a waiter you get better service and that is their job. Tipping a public official, their job is not serving the individual (me or you), their job is serving the public good, so their compensation should come from the public coffers, not from the individual.

If you just leave a note thanking them of doing a good job that would be fine!

Yeah, no

You’ll likely end up with a damaged bike anyways and be $20 poorer

I don’t believe TSA employees are allowed to take a tip (or anything from your luggage for that matter even if there’s a note)

My thoughts exactly. The only thing TSA has ever done for me is destroy my bike case and routinely repack my bike case as idiotically as possible.

Is this a real quedtion???

Do you live in some obscure African Republic where bribing officials for some sort of preferential treatment is the norm??

If not, then act like everybody else in the developed world and let these professionals do their job without distraction and temptations.

I cannot believe this is a real question. Almost as bad as the how do I make flat coke question from years back.

You absolutely do not tip TSA. It can actually be viewed as a crime - bribery. I know that’s really not your intention but that’s how it could be seen. The TSA Security Officer can lose their job and you could be charged with bribing a government official.

They’re not baggage handlers or bellhops.

Everyone else is saying to not tip TSA because it could be seen as a bribe, and I agree. If it helps, think of it as you tipping them every day with your taxes by paying their salary.

I’ve always let TSA professionals do their job without interference. But after my recent trip to Europe for Ironman, I found my new Trek Speed Concept bike in a SciCon bag with a cracked chainstay, crooked brake rotors, a destroyed aero water bottle cage, and the in-frame tools compartment pushed inside the frame completely. There were scratches on the handlebars, broken aero extensions, and more damage.

I’m not saying we should tip them, but… I dont get it, if ones hate their job so much so they get out of their way to make damage to a bike - just change job. If you accept a job - do it properly.

Sorry for upping old thread, I was just search forums for other people’s experience with TSA damaging their bikes and if there anything one can do.

Please do not leave cash for someone that works for the federal government. That could go badly for them. I think a note would be very welcome to those poor workers though. They probably rarely ever get anything nice, and a note might help them more than a $20 bill would.