Schwalbe CLIK Valve - the future?

https://www.schwalbe.com/en/clik-valve/

A few sites have details now, though could be embargoed until 3rd July (tomorrow). Hopefully Slowtwitch will cover what could become the new (& improved) valve standard?

Interesting, and looks better (finally) than presta which is pretty awful.

No good for discs (due to button on the top) it seems, so I think it will gain very little traction with triathletes.

The lock-on groove is at the end, so a specific right-angled disc wheel adapter should be shorter than for presta valves & therefore the wheel recess be smaller (depending on the valve stem length (which could also be shorter)).

For the front wheel, the valve stem seems like it wouldn’t need to stick out as much & therefore be marginally more aero.

No question if the valve cap is used either.

Looks like they priced it for adoption. $13 for a pair of click adapters (fit to any removable core presta tube) and a pump head adapter.

Nice that you don’t have to buy some proprietary tubes. Bonus that presta pumps, CO2 heads, etc. will also work with it.

Without opening the patent this will surely be limited to Schwalbe only. Hard to see a mass adoption of even the greatest product when it’s fundamentally locked to one brand. This isn’t like electronic shifting where there’s different ways to do it. Either the pump fits the valve or it doesn’t.

All I see is a new point of failure. Now my valve adapter can fail as well, and I can’t be helped by a friend or passer-by who would normally lend me a pump.

https://www.schwalbe.com/en/clik-valve/

A few sites have details now, though could be embargoed until 3rd July (tomorrow). Hopefully Slowtwitch will cover what could become the new (& improved) valve standard?

samples are coming. they’re pretty scarce now because they all went to eurobike and to schwalbe (a german company), leaving fewer samples for those of us in the U.S.

All I see is a new point of failure. Now my valve adapter can fail as well, and I can’t be helped by a friend or passer-by who would normally lend me a pump.

According to Schwalbe the Clik can be pumped with most regular present pumps.

Screenshot_20240703-091731585 (1).jpg

Yeah, it looks quite interesting. The issue I can see is that you can’t help out someone with normal valves with your pump/inflator.

Is it the biggest problem in the world that needed solving? Perhaps not. But I like that this is an example where someone has brought innovation and hope that same will apply to some other things.

So on that theme:-

1. updated and ‘better’ hydraulic hose connectors (I know there are some out there)
  2. tyre levers.
  3. headset - I think there is scope here for innovation like when we changed from quill. Especially with internal cables.
  4. gear/drive. Again, we’re seeing some hub/belt and we even saw that shaft drive a few years ago. But there are so many layers of things we are ‘mitigating’ with the cassette/derailer/chain system with waxing, oversize pulleys, single front ring for chainline, etc etc. So keen to see where we are in 10 years time.

According to Schwalbe the Clik can be pumped with most regular present pumps.

But then it also says:
"On the pump:
a) Simply integrate the adapter into the AV (car valve) pump head (clamp or screw in). The pump is then “CLIK-ready”.
b) Replace the standard pump head with the Clik Valve pump head "

If you can use a regular presta pump then I rescind all of my criticism.

The impression I was getting is one can use a regular presta pump (maybe not a screw-on type though?), it just wouldn’t produce the ‘click’ sensation. But I’m not 100% sure without more details.
I’d also be curious how quickly (or slowly) they get gummed up with sealant compared to a regular valve core. They’re not super-expensive, but still if they need cleaning or replacement as often as a typical valve core that’d make it a little less enticing, at least when running tubeless.

Yes, re-reading that FAQ I guess you still need to bring the adapter (and your point on a new worry for it to brake or be forgotten is introduced). More clarity needed!

Check out the Fillmore Valves from Reserve Wheels for something that moves the dial (I have no association with them, just a very recent customer). NB: Tubeless only.

https://reservewheels.com/products/fillmore-tubeless-valves?setstore=1&lang=en

on the one hand this is cool - presta valves aren’t great but we’ve all kist muddled through with them for years. on the other hand … dammit, do i need another standard?

1. headset - I think there is scope here for innovation like when we changed from quill. Especially with internal cables.

The headset IMO is a low hanging fruit for improvement. The material improvements in the last 50 years make the >1 inch bearing unnecessary. Once you reduce that pivot diameter the options really open up.

You could make a “clamp-on” fork/handlebar assembly where the frame has two short stubs instead of a hole in the head tube and the bearings are fitted upside down onto these stubs. The bottom of the fork then just has a bearing face for the other side of the bottom headset bearing and the top has a clamping plate with the same bearing face and a couple bolts on the outside diameter to clamp it onto the rest of the fork and provide bearing preload. You could even go one step further and integrate the handlebars into this clamping piece.

The headset IMO is a low hanging fruit for improvement.

On that front, I think I like the new “honey” bearings in my Lauf.

They’re bearings that, out of the box, you’d think were crap. You can barely move them by hand.

But after doing a few super chunky gravel rides and races, I’m starting to believe that rotational vibration and chatter may be a thing, and these may help.

Cadex kind of did a lot of what you mentioned.

on the one hand this is cool - presta valves aren’t great but we’ve all kist muddled through with them for years. on the other hand … dammit, do i need another standard?

This Fillmore look cool. According to the site they work with normal presta pumps. So no real difference in standard right?

This Fillmore look cool. According to the site they work with normal presta pumps. So no real difference in standard right?

It is a new standard as the ‘new’ pumps won’t work with presta valves, it’s one way compatibility only. And to get the benefits then you do need both parts.

It is a new standard as the ‘new’ pumps won’t work with presta valves, it’s one way compatibility only. And to get the benefits then you do need both parts.

He’s talking about the Fillmore, not the CLIK. The Fillmore is 100% Presta pump compatible (I believe). It’s just a very innovative valve-and-stem design. Though only relevant for tubeless.

Correct, they work with normal Presta pumps.

Their innovations are removing the valve core from the picture, so no more sticky cores/replacements on that end; allowing you to bleed air (down pressure) via pushing on the top-cap; having a wider bore for quicker inflation; and engineering the “valve stem” so that it doesn’t clog and will puncture through dry sealant.