San Francisco Food Suggestions

In downtown SF for work and need some restaurant suggestions. Last time I was here I thought everywhere I ate kind of sucked, but there is no way this isn’t a great food city and I had to have had bad luck.

Price isn’t a factor and there isn’t a cuisine I don’t like. I don’t live near the ocean so getting some top-notch seafood would be ideal, but I have 3 days’ worth of meals alone starting today.

Where should I go?

My most memorable meal was a lobster roll down on the wharf. Best I’ve had. Can’t remember the name of the vendor though.

I remember the baseball stadium had about 50 different food booths offering stuff from all over the world. Here you get the same crap at every food booth in the stadium.

I was there in 2010, likely any of the places I went to are now closed.

Saison and Atelier Crenn are very nice.

Try Angler for something less expensive.

I am actually going to be right next to Angler today, but they don’t have any reservations until a few hours after I’d like to go. Do you have any idea if they have any open bar seating I could snag just a seat for myself?

You shouldn’t have a problem getting a seat at the bar and eating. I believe that they have two bars and only one serves food. Also keep in mind that there will be a 20% gratuity and another surcharge (I think it’s 6%) added to your bill.

You can always grab a Super Duper.

Cioppino in one of the North Beach spots. Sotto Mare is excellent, but others in the area are good as well.

Chinatown for anything. House of Nanking, China Live, R&G Lounge are pretty well known. But if you are the adventurous type just pick the coolest storefront or menu you walk by.

If you have hours to waste, head over on a ferry to Sausalito and get some Dungeness crab or other seafood at a waterfront spot.

Swan Oyster Depot. Lots of other good oyster spots too.

For iconic SF, House of Prime Rib. Surprisingly good for being so touristy. Worth going to once to say you went there once.

But there’s so many good places to eat in SF that it’s difficult to go wrong.

Edit to had a second recommendation for good cioppino, although the best I’ve had was at some joint in Monterey.

For cheap and cheerful Senior Sisig, Filipino inspired burritos. They have a food truck downtown and I think a brick and mortar in the Ferry Building.
For informal neighborhoody, del Popolo on Bush. The Peacekeeper is nearby for cocktails.
Gusto Pinsa also on Bush is very small restaurant and has tasty pinsa romana.
Chinese, Mr Jiu’s in Chinatown. The lounge upstairs is fun for a cocktail.
Watch the world go by, Palmers Tavern on Fillmore. It should be open. It was closed for awhile because of water damage or something. Sitting on the sidewalk on a sunny afternoon/evening is fun.
Propogation on Post is a good place for drinks.

Pacific Catch. There are two locations in SF. I loved it every time I’ve eaten there.

Swan Oyster Depot.

This is the answer.

You can always grab a Super Duper.

Staying at a hotel very close to one, so I guess that’s what is for lunch tomorrow.

You shouldn’t have a problem getting a seat at the bar and eating. I believe that they have two bars and only one serves food. Also keep in mind that there will be a 20% gratuity and another surcharge (I think it’s 6%) added to your bill.

Great, going to grab a beer somewhere and then head on over there I think.

Swan Oyster Depot.

This is the answer.

With and Anchor Steam. I don’t know the status of the brewery. Last I heard, employees were buying it out after Sapporo announced its closure and liquidation. So I don’t know what may be on tap.

I’d certainly defer to you on anything SF eats related.

https://sf.eater.com/

Personal favorites: Pabu (Financial District), Mr. Jiu’s (Chinatown), Z & Y (Chinatown), A16 (Marina District), Gary Danko (Marina District), Hog Island Oyster (Ferry Building), B44 Catalan (Financial District), Kin Khao (Tenderloin). If you want to venture to the Mission District then there are a whole host of places that’ll set you up with a proper Mission burrito (La Taqueria, El Farolito, Taqueria Cancun, Pancho Villa Taqueria).

Extra bonus: the Deli Board on Folsom St has a decent ham sandwich.

Have you been to China Live? I went there when I was there in May and the food was actually quite good.

B44 is one of my favorites. Spent many an evening there and Café Bastille.

Didn’t make it to Anlger, but did make it to Waterbar… which was fine but didn’t blow me away.

Personal favorites: Pabu (Financial District), Mr. Jiu’s (Chinatown), Z & Y (Chinatown), A16 (Marina District), Gary Danko (Marina District), Hog Island Oyster (Ferry Building), B44 Catalan (Financial District), Kin Khao (Tenderloin). If you want to venture to the Mission District then there are a whole host of places that’ll set you up with a proper Mission burrito (La Taqueria, El Farolito, Taqueria Cancun, Pancho Villa Taqueria).

Leaning towards Pabu for dinner tonight assuming I can get a seat at the bar or table for 1.

NYTimes input from less than a year ago.

https://www.nytimes.com/article/best-san-francisco-restaurants.html?searchResultPosition=2

Have you been to China Live? I went there when I was there in May and the food was actually quite good.

B44 is one of my favorites. Spent many an evening there and Café Bastille.

It’s on my list and I’m looking forward to it.

Didn’t make it to Anlger, but did make it to Waterbar… which was fine but didn’t blow me away.

Leaning towards Pabu for dinner tonight assuming I can get a seat at the bar or table for 1.

That shouldn’t be a problem with the bar seat.