Ryf announces immediate retirement

No surprises but sad she couldn’t have one last dance as she hoped.

Truly remarkable athlete who raised the bar in women’s triathlon.

Absolute legend

https://youtu.be/977L5ZGmQkw?si=LlEpMfhZi8M3qE-I

Sad! Was hoping she had one last great performance left in her! And she will show that at Nice. Guess that won’t happen now! She is a true legend!

Sad! Was hoping she had one last great performance left in her! And she will show that at Nice. Guess that won’t happen now! She is a true legend!

Agreed, her technical skills on the descents (shown previously in Nice) would have exposed many, but as usual in triathlon, someone will fill her bike shoes pretty quickly. However, it was both a joy to watch her dominate and to share a small part of her life over the last few years on YouTube.

Well that is a bummer. I was hoping to see her rip it up at Nice like at St. George Worlds 2022. Hopefully Ryan/Eric can arrange a 1:1 interview with her.

I had some idea when I posted this thread 10 years but what an amazing 10 years of long course we got to witness.

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/forum/Slowtwitch_Forums_C1/Triathlon_Forum_F1/Daniela_Ryf_the_next_big_superstar_P5239801/

She was the dominant long-distance woman of her generation and the paragon of professionalism. Congratz to her on an outstanding career, and all success in her next endeavors. Her Roth WB was a great cap to an amazing tenure.

i would have loved her to watch at the descents in Nice.
one of the all time greats.
and one of the few that really gave back with her development tri team she had.

It’s a shame she’s calling it a day at such an exciting time in women’s long course.

Sad for her that she can’t have her “goodbye” like Jan. She changed the game.

Daniela raced in IM South Africa to validate, despite the same injury. She made it worse as a result and now she’s forced to retire.

I wonder how many of you still think it’s fair to give Knibb a wild card to IM WC, while she simply chose T100 California instead of 70.3 Boulder (and eventually hasn’t validated her spot)?

Daniela raced in IM South Africa to validate, despite the same injury. She made it worse as a result and now she’s forced to retire.

I wonder how many of you still think it’s fair to give Knibb a wild card to IM WC, while she simply chose T100 California instead of 70.3 Boulder (and eventually hasn’t validated her spot)?

i would think most people would think dont force people to do silly validation races…

Kudos to the GOAT. We will miss you Daniella. We talk about many, but she has done well at so many levels for so many years.

Kudos to the GOAT. We will miss you Daniella. We talk about many, but she has done well at so many levels for so many years.

She was bang average in ITU, arguably the GOAT in M/LC.

Weird how none of the very best ITU women have been able to carry that form over, but it’s the same with the men really, Blu and Frodo are the anomalies.

Unquestionably a great athlete and a nice person.

I could never get excited about Daniela though. Don’t recall any interesting rivalries or drama. She would either dominate completely or fall way back, and her interviews never ruffled any feathers.

Triathlon would be better if she stayed, granted, because you never know what she could be bringing to the table in 2015. I don’t recall prominent athletes coached by Brett Sutton staying long after the age of 35 though.

I don’t recall prominent athletes coached by Brett Sutton staying long after the age of 35 though.

oh FFS, Sutton didn’t cause her injury, nor does he burn out athletes faster.
Hate on him all you want, but don’t make shit up.

Can you point to a world class athlete coached by Sutton who took her career into her late 30s?

Can you point to a world class athlete coached by Sutton who took her career into her late 30s?

It’s a nonsense question, because most professional triathletes retire in their mid 30’s or move to age group racing.

what about a swiss olympic champ that was 6 th at the tokyo olympics aged 39 …

what about a swiss olympic champ that was 6 th at the tokyo olympics aged 39 …

And probably could have competed in Paris if she wanted to keep training!

I was going to reply with Nicola, but the whole question was disingenuous nonsense.