Roka Wetsuit Too Small and Too Large at Same time?

Hi Team.

Needed to update my wetsuit wardrobe and decided on trying Roka Maverick and Maverick Pro 2. Was really looking forward to trying these suits… When I was younger I used to mostly race in XS / S for Blu Seventy (and, when they were Ironman), TYR, Zoot, and Aquaman… Then was 5’7’’ and 133 - 143 pounds for race weight (depending on year and race) and 153-159 pounds now (mostly muscular / Rock Climbing / Gym, etc…). For Roka, I grabbed their Medium Full Sleeved (per the size guide), and unfortunately, I swim slower in them than without a wetsuit (no, it wasn’t a water temperature issue). Felt like I was working out my delts in the gym. I adjusted the wetsuit a few times too to see maybe if it was a ‘fit’ issue with where the rubber was. Didn’t make much of a difference… That being said, at the same time, water was coming in from the neck more than I was used to with my past wetsuits… I want to try ‘sizing up’ but am afraid more water is going to pour in.

The customer service team there was great and they suggested that maybe I size up and that I try it out in the water first (of which I had no idea I can do…). I’m contemplating doing this… The only problem is that I don’t want Roka to send more wetsuits if the larger ones are not going to work - don’t want them or myself to go through the hassle. Curious to everyone’s thoughts on this and if anyone has had similar problems???

I want to like these wetsuits because they seem like they are constructed very well. I was sure even if the fit was off I was going to swim ‘faster’ and not ‘slower’. But, I was wrong…

Thank You…

*A note - best wetsuit I ever had was a long john (sleeveless) Blu Seventy. Had all my fastest swims in that. However, being told sleeved is always faster and also when I had races with cold water swims (50’s and low 60’s) made me go back to sleeved. (did a race in 50s with sleeveless and was praying for sleeves). I have never had luck with sleeves (sadly). Any recommendations??? *

I’m 5’7”, 150 lbs and struggled to find a wetsuit that fit properly. I ended up buying a De Soto 2 piece last year since I could pair a smaller bottom piece (size 3) with a larger top (size 4). It’s way more comfortable across my shoulders and chest than my last wetsuit (Tyr Hurricane Cat 5 - size S/M).

Thank you. Will try this over the winter. Think the two pisece will be the way to go. That, or a Deboer… Everthing is crazy $$ these days. But, just want to figure out the problem so that I don’t have to keep tackling every now and then…