RIP Toby Keith

Should’ve Been a Cowboy was always a go-to for me.

Cheers

He stood for everything I hate about country music. Pandering political bullshit, country bro culture, and fake patriotism.

Not that I wished him dead or anything.

Someone’s gonna blame this on Taylor Swift, you can be sure of it

He stood for everything I hate about country music. Pandering political bullshit, country bro culture, and fake patriotism.

I will second both comments. Just another fake tough guy act.

Post 9/11 maybe, I don’t think his patriotism was fake. Over the top maybe but he was not really in what I would consider the pandering group, which came most later than immediately post 9/11. Pre 9/11 he had some amazing music.

He’s not a Jason Aldean redux.

Should’ve Been a Cowboy was always a go-to for me.

Cheers

Extremely genuine good human from what I understand.

I will second both comments. Just another fake tough guy act.

Agreed. As the father of a soldier (5 deployments in Iraq/Afghanistan) I always found his patriotic bravado annoying.

I didn’t care for his post-9/11 posture or his brand of country, but I understand where it comes from and I’ll leave it to those who knew him to decide his legacy.

Post 9/11 maybe, I don’t think his patriotism was fake. Over the top maybe but he was not really in what I would consider the pandering group, which came most later than immediately post 9/11. Pre 9/11 he had some amazing music.

That was kind of my take. A little over the top, but still mostly genuine. Maybe a bit of pandering, but that’s to be expected when you’re trying to sell albums and pack venues. And that’s not exclusive to commercial country music, and it’s not exclusive to the right (not that I think we was on the right – he seemed to be all over the place politically). I don’t understand the demands we sometimes have for ideological purit

He seemed to be a good guy. I have no reason to believe otherwise. Not really my musical taste, but Red Solo Cup was fun. I feel bad for his family, friends, and fans.

Came across this anecdote today, which I’ve read before:

“(Keith) then saw Kristofferson and quipped, “None of that lefty shit out there tonight, Kris” - a reference to Kristofferson’s left-leaning political views.

“What the fuck did you just say to me?” Kristofferson replied. “You ever worn your country’s uniform?”

“You heard the question, you just don’t like the answer,” Kristofferson continued. “Have you ever served your country? The answer is, no, you have not. Have you ever killed another man? Huh? Have you ever taken another man’s life and then cashed the check your country gave you for doing it? No, you have not. So shut the fuck up.”

Kristofferson served in the U.S. Army, completed Ranger School and piloted helicopters, achieving the rank of Captain before leaving the service to pursue a career in music.

Kris Kristofferson stole a National Guard helicopter to deliver a demo tape of one of his songs to Johnny Cash, just sayin’

Kris Kristofferson stole a National Guard helicopter to deliver a demo tape of one of his songs to Johnny Cash, just sayin’

I nominate you to approach Netflix with this.

From what I understand, he did express regret later in life that his music was associated with right-wing bullshit. He was critical of their anti-LGBT and racist tendencies. A friend was in a couple of his videos and said he was a really nice dude (as is the common thread among Nashville people who knew or dealt with him).

“(Keith) then saw Kristofferson and quipped, “None of that lefty shit out there tonight, Kris” - a reference to Kristofferson’s left-leaning political views.

“What the fuck did you just say to me?” Kristofferson replied. “You ever worn your country’s uniform?”

“You heard the question, you just don’t like the answer,” Kristofferson continued. “Have you ever served your country? The answer is, no, you have not. Have you ever killed another man? Huh? Have you ever taken another man’s life and then cashed the check your country gave you for doing it? No, you have not. So shut the fuck up.”

Kristofferson served in the U.S. Army, completed Ranger School and piloted helicopters, achieving the rank of Captain before leaving the service to pursue a career in music.

Two things I didn’t know about Kris. What you just typed and the fact he’s still alive.

Based on Wikipedia, he join the army because his family forced him to and left as soon as was feasible.

So we have one guy who served who didn’t want to serve, responding to someone who didn’t serve who called him unpatriotic, by calling them unpatriotic by calling un patriotic because that person didn’t serve even though the person getting called unpatriotic didn’t want to serve either. Yeah that’s one hell of a circle jerk

That was kind of my take. A little over the top, but still mostly genuine. Maybe a bit of pandering, but that’s to be expected when you’re trying to sell albums and pack venues. And that’s not exclusive to commercial country music, and it’s not exclusive to the right (not that I think we was on the right – he seemed to be all over the place politically). I don’t understand the demands we sometimes have for ideological purit

He seemed to be a good guy. I have no reason to believe otherwise. Not really my musical taste, but Red Solo Cup was fun. I feel bad for his family, friends, and fans.

The guy has enough billboard hits, album sales, and accolades to earn the recognition.

What you said is 100% true. It is not exclusive to one genre or gender. His particular flair just didn’t agree with their preferences.

Oook then.

Two things I didn’t know about Kris. What you just typed and the fact he’s still alive.

Third thing: he was fired for often flying drunk.

Also summa cum laude from Pomona College and a Rhodes Scholar at Oxford. I believe he returned to Pomona to teach English, but gave that up for music.

Edit to add: a Golden Gloves boxer, college football.

Just an amazing person. I think you can say that about a lot of musicians, even those that don’t fit the bill. It takes a certain talent and genius (and luck and connections) to make it.

Third thing: he was fired for often flying drunk.

“The story about me getting off the helicopter with a tape in one hand and a beer in the other isn’t true. Y’know, John (Cash) had a very creative imagination. I’ve never flown with a beer in my life. Believe me, you need two hands to fly those things.”