Recommendations for decent training wheels

Recently I had to get a new bike and all of my bikes for the last 20+ years have been rim brakes but since it is 2024 I didn’t really have a choice but to make the change to disc. Which makes all of my other wheels useless. I have race wheels that came with the bike but I don’t like to do all of my training on race wheels so looking for recommendations on decent wheels to train on. I need something for a 12-speed Shimano cassette and since I hate change I also would prefer to get something that still also works with my clinchers and tubes setup. I am not looking for anything fancy or expensive but also of course want something decent and durable as in season I am riding like 150 to 300 miles a week. I am not at all someone who keeps up with the latest bike stuff so I feel like an idiot trying to figure out what I should even be looking for so any help is appreciated.

Really hard to do better than a set of HED Ardennes. Mine have been ridiculously dependable.

I was discussing with a friend the other day that with disc brakes the concept of a training wheel has mostly disappeared. In fact, you can use your wheels year round without drawbacks.
It does make sense however to have different rim depths so you can choose different wheels depending on the event and wind conditions.

I’ll second the HED Ardennes as a training wheel set. Been on them for years and they are bulletproof.

Interesting, why would you say that? Again I am someone who got their first set of race wheels in 2006 and in spite of riding and racing constantly have basically learned nothing new since :slight_smile:

Interesting, why would you say that? Again I am someone who got their first set of race wheels in 2006 and in spite of riding and racing constantly have basically learned nothing new since :slight_smile:

With rim brakes carbon wheels you have to worry about stopping power, pad replacement and rim consumption a lot more. Especially with certain pad/rim combinations. So there’s more value in training Vs racing wheels. You could minimise consumption of the racing wheels and prioritise stopping power by using alloy wheels instead.
With disc brakes carbon wheels those aren’t issues at all or not as much.

I would spend my money to either have different rim depth combinations (shallow, deep) or if you are hoping to have a unicorn road bike you can take everywhere you could have a wheel set for tarmac roads, a wheel set for off-road.