Recommend me a new oven

Some 5 yrs ago, when we renovated the house a brand new Monogram stove, about $7000, was installed. Two years later, just after the warranty expired, the oven broke down. The guy replaced the the glow ignitor, about $ 700. The ignitor broke down every year since then, it was last replaced today. The guy said that we should limit the use of the oven to 2-3 times a week and just accept the price as a yearly maintenance fee for this brand. WTF? In every previous place I lived the oven lasted for ever, use it and abuse it as often as you want.
What say you? Did we just buy a lemon or is this normal with other modern appliances too? Wife wants to replace this with one. We don’t need some super duper electronic loaded primadona stuff, more like a dump truck of the oven world.

Can you please define oven? Do you want a freestanding with a cooktop? or are you talking built in? Gas or Electric? Color - does it matter? Black stainless does not match across brands.

For a cooktop I am 100% induction. So if free standing I would start there (Didn’t buy a free standing oven so I don’t know who makes the best ones).

Some 5 yrs ago, when we renovated the house a brand new Monogram stove, about $7000, was installed. Two years later, just after the warranty expired, the oven broke down. The guy replaced the the glow ignitor, about $ 700. The ignitor broke down every year since then, it was last replaced today. The guy said that we should limit the use of the oven to 2-3 times a week and just accept the price as a yearly maintenance fee for this brand. WTF? In every previous place I lived the oven lasted for ever, use it and abuse it as often as you want.
What say you? Did we just buy a lemon or is this normal with other modern appliances too? Wife wants to replace this with one. We don’t need some super duper electronic loaded primadona stuff, more like a dump truck of the oven world.

You got faux primadonna, get like Sub-Zero or Viking! Real primadonna.

No, it’s not normal. Should last more than 5 years.

You got faux primadonna, get like Sub-Zero or Viking! Real primadonna.

No, it’s not normal. Should last more than 5 years.

Yeah, I was letting go on the $7k stove – not prima donna stuff… LOL

5.5 yrs ago, we did a kitchen a remodel, replaced all the appliances… not had a single issue with anyone of them. and not a single one cost even half of $7k.

Modern appliances aren’t very robust but that seems particularly bad to fail after 2 years.

We’ve had a Bosch for a year or so now and a Bosch dishwasher for, well, seemingly forever. No complaints. I cook a ton and it’s up to the task.

Monogram is just a nicer looking GE appliance. I do a lot of kitchen renos and can’t say I’ve ever seen someone buy those appliances. Not once. For whatever that’s worth.

If you want to spend a ton of money again look at miele, Wolf, thermador etc but at least you’re getting
a good product. Slightly less expensive are Fisher Paykel, Dacor, Bosch then getting in to more middle of the road brands like KitchenAid, LG etc.

Modern appliances aren’t very robust but that seems particularly bad to fail after 2 years.

We’ve had a Bosch for a year or so now and a Bosch dishwasher for, well, seemingly forever. No complaints. I cook a ton and it’s up to the task.

Monogram is just a nicer looking GE appliance. I do a lot of kitchen renos and can’t say I’ve ever seen someone buy those appliances. Not once. For whatever that’s worth.

If you want to spend a ton of money again look at miele, Wolf, thermador etc but at least you’re getting
a good product. Slightly less expensive are Fisher Paykel, Dacor, Bosch then getting in to more middle of the road brands like KitchenAid, LG etc.

Yeah, when I was looking 5.5 yrs ago. There seemed to be 4 levels

Run of the middle stuff,

Slightly better (bosch – don’t get their high end shit its made overseas and has problems and repairs can take a while to get parts)

Gee we want to be really top end – basically the first to level, put a lot of fancy shit into it but its not done well or right, charge an arm and leg and you don’t get anything but headaches for the trouble.

We are top end – wont have as many bells and whistles will cost about the same or a tad more than gee we want to be top end, but will last forever. (Think Speed queen clothes washers)

Sounds like OP bought Gee we want to be really top end.

Yes, there are some brands like monogram, cafe etc that are just your general house brand with a fancier look. Not worth it IMO unless you’re renovating or building to sell.

Gas ranges are pretty simple, low tech appliances. It’s pretty shameful that some are breaking down in 2 years.

A good friend of mine who’s a professional chef bought a wolf 10 years ago and has not had a single issue. At the time I was thinking why would someone spend that much for the red dials… but they are quite robust (I think he paid 10k in 2015 for a 30" gas range).

Just remember Thermador is owned by Bosch now.

Based on my Kitchenaid fridge experience, not sure it is any better than any standard Whirlpool fridge. $4500 and the thing has been a POS in my opinion for being 5 years old.

I only have electric at my house and recently purchased a new stove oven combo, paid extra for induction cooktop and convection oven capability and we are very pleased

Just remember Thermador is owned by Bosch now.

Based on my Kitchenaid fridge experience, not sure it is any better than any standard Whirlpool fridge. $4500 and the thing has been a POS in my opinion for being 5 years old.

Kitchenaide is now owned by Whirlpool, so yeah.

I only have electric at my house and recently purchased a new stove oven combo, paid extra for induction cooktop and convection oven capability and we are very pleased

right on both, but did you get a real convection oven or as is par for the course America had to screw that up so sell convection ovens which are simply ovens with a fan to move air, which is not what a true convection oven is (they have a heating element before fan, so are actually blowing heated air).

Now at least Bosch is getting in on the air fryer, and has air fryer mode, which turns the broiler on along with true convection to help brown things faster, I don’t have this so no clue how well it works.

I don’t know the answer to that… It’s a Samsung, it does have an “air fryer” mode as well though. What I have noticed
Induction – water boils in 2 minutes, heat changes seem instant compared to the previous electric cooktop
Convection – our standard oven fare is cooking a bit faster but much more evenly than before
Air Fryer – can’t be bothered but wife and daughters are raving and there is a lot more frozen fries and the like in the house

I picked up a ge double with convection electric, floor model from home depot, last year. I think it was ~$700 or so.
Possibly more like dump truck.

I have a decor double with no complaints so far.

https://www.abt.com/

Order from there. Will beat any price and phenomenal customer service

I picked up a ge double with convection electric, floor model from home depot, last year. I think it was ~$700 or so.
Possibly more like dump truck.

That is what I need. Takes the lickin’ and keeps on tickin’.

Thanks, this helps. I don’t want to spend tons again.

Shit man, I live in Canada.

Shit man, I live in Canada.

Bitch please…I used the Google machine before I suggested it to you Abt delivers to out-of-state customers in all fifty states, Canada, and Mexico, via UPS or freight carriers.

I don’t know the answer to that… It’s a Samsung, it does have an “air fryer” mode as well though. What I have noticed
Induction – water boils in 2 minutes, heat changes seem instant compared to the previous electric cooktop
Convection – our standard oven fare is cooking a bit faster but much more evenly than before
Air Fryer – can’t be bothered but wife and daughters are raving and there is a lot more frozen fries and the like in the house

Yes induction is amazing. I mean all the energy is going to heating the pan… so yeah works great. Just wait till you cook a soup or something. Amazing how little heat from the pan of soup, compared to antiquated methods of cooking.

True or not true convection does even things out better (bosh calls our true conv multi rack) but if you have true convection (3rd heating element) you will notice it browns and cooks the tops very fast, so good for finishing off dishes, but care needed when regular cooking.

We moved into our current house 20 year ago, and inherited a Smeg dual oven (electric) with six gas burners.

We have had to replace the igniters, the overnight bulb a couple of times, and the door seal and hinges, but the oven and rings have been basically flawless.