Reasonable cost for ceiling fan install?

This is to replace a light fixture with a ceiling fan that has a light. fan operated with a remote. expect no need for a mounting box, maybe a new dimmer switch.

I’ve got one quote for $450-500 per install for 4 of them. Other installers slow to reply so far. I have a short timeline.

Appreciate any quick advice.

That seems high to me

I’ll do it for a beer - make it 2 with the dimmer install.

If it includes the fixtures that seems realistic. If it’s install only it’s way high if your current boxes can be used.

Current fixtures have fans already? Do it yourself, 30 minutes each, unless they are way up on a vaulted ceiling. Did one last year, stone simple. In fact, that was just a light and the fan and an integrated switch for the fan, so it was mega easy.

Ceiling fans need more support than just a junction box. Sometimes. YMMV.

Seems reasonable to me. Especially if an electrician

Diy. you’ve got all weekend. Then pay someone next week :wink:

Just read 450 EACH.

Ok thats too high. But I diy everything

Current fixtures have fans already? Do it yourself, 30 minutes each, unless they are way up on a vaulted ceiling. Did one last year, stone simple. In fact, that was just a light and the fan and an integrated switch for the fan, so it was mega easy.
+1. Simple DIY job.

There are simple ways around that.

fan.jpg

We got one installed 2 1/2 years ago when we moved into our house (new build) for $100. It took the electrician no time at all - he removed the old fixture, installed the fan and done.

I can see that being a reasonable charge to install one because by the time they get to your house, do the work, pack up and leave they’ve spent probably 2 to 3 hours(ish), but there should be some economy scale if they are doing multiple. It sounds like you have 4 that need to be done so if that’s the cost x 4 then it’s way too high. This is assuming the install can be done without needing to climb into an attic, replace the mounting box, run new wire, etc. The electrician may be assuming that stuff is needed and is budgeting with that assumption. I don’t know where you live and what the local requirements are, but if a permit is required by the AHJ the electrician could be budgeting for a permit fee and inspection time.

to add, yes, already have the ceiling fans, so those are not part of the quote.

I know mounting boxes are not needed for at least 2 of the locations, all 4 of which currently have light fixtures.

low low probability of needing any wiring work, other than whatever might be involved if an existing flip light switch has o be swapped out for dimmer.

I’m a semi DIYer. Big old house, lots to be done. No real electrical experience. My real job is long and exhausting. I’ll pay a bit for peace of mind and not having to invest the time, but was not expecting $2k just for install on top of the fans themselves.

Oy

You can do it yourself in about 30 minutes each.

Thanks for that perspective.
No attic climbing, no inspection, no permit. Just a ladder.

Just over $2K includes 1 dimmer switch install.

Consensus seems this is high and I should seek someone else or tackle solo.

Wonder if there is a market for a not too fancy chandelier or two when I’m done…?

I did it myself, and I too am a moderate DIYer. It took me much more than a few minutes or half an hour. Granted, my fan was rather complicated, and I had to go into the attic to address some stuff, but it took about 3 hours. You can decide where you sit on the easy-complicated spectrum.
Also, shouldn’t someone with the handle “Spinmaster” know everything there is to know about fans?

I know mounting boxes are not needed for at least 2 of the locations, all 4 of which currently have light fixtures.

low low probability of needing any wiring work, other than whatever might be involved if an existing flip light switch has o be swapped out for dimmer.

I’m a semi DIYer. Big old house, lots to be done. No real electrical experience. My real job is long and exhausting. I’ll pay a bit for peace of mind and not having to invest the time, but was not expecting $2k just for install on top of the fans themselves.

Oy

Around here all the handymen rely on not having to compete with DIY’ers. We wanted to repaint our house interior, quote was over $10K, my wife and I did two bedrooms, quote came down to $3000 for the rest of the house.

More of a fact spinner than a fan spinner. :wink:

Oy

Around here all the handymen rely on not having to compete with DIY’ers. We wanted to repaint our house interior, quote was over $10K, my wife and I did two bedrooms, quote came down to $3000 for the rest of the house.

A friend of ours was quoted $38K to paint the exterior of his two story house that is about 1,900 square feet. A basic house.

It cost about $900 for paint and masking supplies, $800 for a nice sprayer, and a week of my time. He owes me big time!

continuing, Try living in a mostly retirement community in Florida and see how disparate the quotes are. Watch some youtubes and this old house videos to see if you can tackle it. Good luck

No clue what country your in will assume US, no clue what state, Here in Michigan. You can expect to pay an electrician about $100 to swap out an electrical outlet, so yeah $400 for a ceiling fan seems to be in line, now at 4 I might expect a bit of discount on 2-4 as they are there, but then they have to move ladders risk hitting things in house etc., then you said new dimmer switches, are the lights led? are they the right dimmer.

Depending on size of Fan, could be a 2 person job also, which adds cost.

If you have Thumb Tack in your area, I’ve had pretty good results posting jobs there.
$450 for 1 fixture, OK. But not for 4 fixtures.