Reading: When? why? what?

Having read numerous threads on movies or tv shows, I’ve learned that many are adaptations of books and it’s clear that many of you read a lot. This is somewhat foreign to me, so I’m curious:
When do you find the time to read and how does it fit into your lifestyle?Is it a regular occurrence or do you go for extended periods of not reading? Have you always read (i.e. since childhood)?What do you enjoy reading and how does that story or author show up on your radar?The why is more personal, but if you’re willing to share…

Having read numerous threads on movies or tv shows, I’ve learned that many are adaptations of books and it’s clear that many of you read a lot. This is somewhat foreign to me, so I’m curious:
When do you find the time to read and how does it fit into your lifestyle?Is it a regular occurrence or do you go for extended periods of not reading? Have you always read (i.e. since childhood)?What do you enjoy reading and how does that story or author show up on your radar?The why is more personal, but if you’re willing to share…

1. for the last 2+ years reading is a daily occurrence. Made the switch from watching TV in evenings to reading
  2. I’ve always enjoyed reading. Dropped it throughout high school and college. Picked up briefly after college. Dropped for career and children raising. Picked up again above
  3. www.the greatest books.org. Great resource.
  4. keeps me away from posting about politics and expending negative energy. :slight_smile:

1. for the last 2+ years reading is a daily occurrence. Made the switch from watching TV in evenings to reading
  2. I’ve always enjoyed reading. Dropped it throughout high school and college. Picked up briefly after college. Dropped for career and children raising. Picked up again above
  4. keeps me away from posting about politics and expending negative energy. :slight_smile:

You were SO close!

You were SO close!

Now that I have your attention……

I used to (and still do) enjoy mainstream stuff (Clancy Grisham Chricton etc). Most of my reading was “top 40” without a lot of thought

Since returning 2.5 years ago my focus has been more on the list I shared with you. In the same way I once approached big dreams training for the sport I can’t mention here I have developed an interest in reading some of the greatest of all time in order to be more “well read” which helps fill my “check the box” personality that was once more filled by a training log

Although it’s a well thought through list via survey it’s still a subjective list but I’ve chosen to treat it as authoritative

I have read most of the top 100 and a decent percent of the top 250 and 500. I feel more “well read” and have checked off things like “war and peace” that I never thought I would have the patience for

Highly recommend you take up more reading and start there

How’s that ?

1. Daily, that is nightly. I read when I go to bed until I start to fall asleep.
  2. Regular thing. I love reading.
  3. Cosmology/theoretical physics, history, age of exploration mainly, but there are other things too.
  4. Why, well, hard to put it simply. Sometimes one thing just leads to another. I read tons of WW2 books and it lead me to reading about events that led to WW2 or 1, which led me to read about wars in Africa etc.

My wife reads all the time.

I’m dyslexic and don’t get a lot out of reading fiction, but I have read a few books that I’ve really enjoyed (a handful of Stephen King, for example). I mostly read non-fiction. Recently I’ve been reading a lot of sports biographies, the most recent being a handful of MMA fighters. I read about 10-20 minutes a night before falling asleep.

I read every night, but I will go a year or two between nonfiction books.

Daily - I work afternoons/evenings. So, I read with breakfast and again to decompress before bed.

Daily - I’ve always read. I’m an aberration in that I read for entertainment.

Lots. Lots of variety - fiction, non-fiction, current events, philosophy. I generally read a novel (I like trash thrillers) and something nonfiction simultaneously. I’m currently reading “The Old Man and the Sea” and a commentary on Stoic philosophy; in addition to various current events websites and e-mail newsletters (a current fave is Ahnold’s The Pump). I seek out new material from the socials, Good Reads, Apple Books store, and I have a list of authors I’ve liked for years. I download a lot of free previews from Apple and end up purchasing probably 1/10.

Why? It’s what I do. It’s what I’ve always done. It’s how I’ve learned, experienced things I will never experience, expanded my knowledge base. I can’t imagine not reading; I would be a lesser person.

I used to read a fair amount, but podcasts and audio books have largely put an end to it. Listening to something is just so much more efficient.

I read almost every day though the past few months it hasn’t been as much. I think all the daily mental effort has gone into dealing with my wrist and surgery and rehab.

I definitely read more when I travel for work. I do not work on the plane - I read instead. I have always read, especially as a kid. One summer there was a competition at the library and I read something like 100 books and won. Growing up, if I wasn’t riding my horse, I was reading.

I read everything, but I lean towards nonfiction over fiction. I also read poetry. I keep a running list of books that I want to read and I have multiple piles of books in my house waiting to be read. I’ll put a book on my list after reading a review of it from the New York Times or the Wall Street Journal or other social. My want to read List on Goodreads is very long. We are lucky here to have two really really good independent bookstores (and a couple of other decent ones). I will go to author events at the two and I’ve gone in to buy one specific book and come home with four because something has caught my eye and looks really interesting. I’m also in a book club and that has gotten me to read things that I probably would never have read otherwise. I think that’s a good thing.

Someone mentioned podcasts. I hate podcasts. The only podcasts I can stand are the ones that they film so you can watch, and even then I only watch clips, not the whole thing. (Kelce Bros, Lance Armstrong). I process information by sight, not by sound. for example, I can look at a map or written directions and have no problem. Give me directions verbally and they are a jumble in my mind.

I think the why started when I was a kid. I realized that you could go anywhere or be someone else for a minute if you read a book. That’s what I try to impress upon my little dude (almost 10). Thankfully, it seems to be working because he likes to read. I think it helps that he’s seen me reading a lot and he knows that his dad reads every night before bed too.

I think it would be awesome to have a bookstore/coffee shop/wine bar.

I am not a huge reader at home as reading at home tends to put me to sleep.
If something really piques my attention, I’ll read in the evenings after dinner.I go for extended periods of not reading. I read a lot when traveling, I hate flying so reading while hanging out the airport and on the plane keeps my mind away from the flying experience.I primarily read non-fiction, historical stuff. I love to read about the indigenous side of my family and WWII. For the indigenous stuff, I actively seek books out about the interior Salish. The why…without going too far into the boring details of my youth, I feel I missed out a great deal on learning about my dad’s side of the family when I was really young. So much of indigenous history was oral, it’s fascinating to me when I read something I’ve heard about from my grandmother but through her experience or what’s been handed down to her orally.

Not that the question was asked, but I read quite a bit growing up, it was expected in my house, to read every night. I read quite a bit of Stephen King’s works as a kid and teenager, and really enjoyed Patrick McManus. Kept with the mainstream stuff as a young adult, like Crichton, Coonts, and Koontz. Somewhere in my mid-20’s I lost interest in reading for entertainment.

Reading: When? why? what?..

Reading, Pennsylvania today, WWII Weekend at the Reading Air Museum with the kids.

https://maam.org/wwii/

https://i.imgur.com/XMDu9f9.jpeg

I have a commute that is 1 hour or so each way.
I try to listen to 1-2 books a month. I alternate fiction and nonfiction.
The nonfiction is because I enjoy learning. The fiction is to mix it up.

The nonfiction alternates between history and business.
I’ve found that audio books helps me ignore or at least lessen rush hour stress.

I read in spurts. Once I start a book I spend too much time reading it. If it is fiction I will often read the last 20 pages after the first 25 percent or so of the book. This drives my wife crazy who says it shouldn’t be allowed. I read to learn stuff and to try to understand things.

Fiction allows for flow.

I have read since childhood yes. I was reading Solzhenistzyn in maybe grade 5 or 6. I also read Jaws the book in grade 4 I think. Leon Uris’ Queen’s Bench 7 was my introduction to evil in the world.

Leon Uris. Now bad output for a guy who failed English three times

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leon_Uris

For me, finding the time to read is mostly about the willingness to spend less time on the computer or TV. You can read a lot of books if you’re willing to reduce your screen time by an hour a day. During the winter I read quite a bit while doing easy rides on the spinner bike. I tend to read in spurts: when I am enjoying a book I’ll read it many hours a day and won’t read magazines until the book is done. I won’t let reading become a chore. If a book does not grab me in the first 30-50 pages, I’ll drop it. I read for entertainment and learning, not as a task. I make an occasional exception with some classic literature which I know is going to require some work.

Trinity by Leon Uris is one of my favorite books ever.

I read most every night before bed. Being retired, if I get a real page turner sometimes it keeps me up. Like those words on a page written a few years ago about a fictional plot will change if I don’t read it right now. I get most of my books out of the little free library or garage sales. Lately I have been reading the old books that were required reading in HS. Catcher in the Rye, A Separate Peace, Illustrated Man, Kona Tiki, some Steinbeck a few Shakespeare and the mandatory Hemingway or two.

I find the books I thought sucked in HS still suck. And for the life of me I can’t finish Beowulf no matter how many times I start…

One last comment about your observation of movies and shows being adaptations.

As I’ve read my way through the “greatest books” list I posted I make a point to watch the movie or show right after. Many I’ve seeen but not read the book. It’s interesting to see how they follow or don’t follow the book

Some like “money dick” or “withering heights” or “ grapes of wrath” are classic movies as well that take some research to find/rent/buy.

Always have enjoyed reading as kid and fortunately now that I am retired i can fit it in easily. Really enjoy historical fiction and some non fiction. But right now to enhance my Spanish I am pretty much reading murder mystery thrillers in Spanish. I find the writing of these to be pretty straightforward and easy to follow. Hope to graduate to some more weighty stuff with time.

By chance I met up with a gentleman while riding in Florida recently who’s book about riding cross country at age 67 was just published. The guy’s a polio survivor and tough as nails. It’s a excellent read…call ‘The Road Spoke’ by Reinke.

I’ve always read as an adult, but it got a big boost in 1989 when i was away from home for 7 weeks without a TV and couldn’t understand the language on the radio; and early 91 when i didn’t have a TV. A broad range, but mostly a mix of history/biography/exploration/cycling non-fiction stuff, and classic (including 20th century classic) fiction; plus some specific authors i like - Krakauer, Bryson, . As if i was preparing for some high end pub-trivia. I find it relaxing, and in recent years a nice change from on-line stuff. I usually use a NOOK now, but still buy some “real” books. You need real books to have a well stocked bookcase or two in order to project being well-read to any visitors - the Nook doesn’t cut it from that perspective. i definitely think it helps me write better (when i put some effort in, not posting to slowtwitch); but that isn’t the goal. The key for me is to have something i really want to read or learn about. if it becomes a chore then i have the wrong book. Currently reading James O’Brien’s “How they broke Britain” …going through a homesick phase. I think selecting something to read is very personal. I’ll comment on what i liked or didn’t like, and why; but try not to make recommendations.

I tend to fluctuate a bit, though I suspect it’d probably average out fairly consistently over a monthly/yearly timescale. I’m studying currently which can take up a fair bit of mental bandwidth at times- during the holidays I seem to burn through books at a frightening rate, but during the semester it’s more like 20 minutes here and there, and probably ‘lighter’ in terms of content. I read a lot as a kid, and I think I’ve always kept it up in some capacity (probably some breaks, but nothing sustained enough that I could really point to a period where I remember not reading)

I’m somewhat biased toward fiction for recreational purposes since my degree is fairly research-heavy, but I’m pretty equal-opportunity when it comes to genre. I tend to prefer more plot/theme driven stuff over things like autobiographies or really ‘internal’ character studies, but there are always exceptions.

The ‘why’ is hard. I think I’m just a curious person in general. I like to toss around thoughts and look at things from different perspectives, and I get a bit antsy just focusing on day-to-day stuff. So maybe not a ‘reader’ as much as ‘highly impractical human’ :slight_smile: