Race Ranger at Ironman Florida

Haven’t see this posted here yet. Pro tri news posted on their instagram stories that race ranger will be at Ironman Florida. The PTO really has pushed Ironman to do things I never thought they would. First the professional series now race ranger! Got to be exciting news for Joe Skipper for Florida.

I think it will depend if IM actually uses race ranger to issue penalties. From what I understand, the PTO hasn’t been using race ranger to issues penalties. It’s been data/info only.

Just having that constant feedback reduces penalties/drafting though.

It’s about time. I don’t think I’ve heard a pro yet say don’t want Race Ranger used in a race.

Just having that constant feedback reduces penalties/drafting though.

and along with that, the sport really needs some solid objective data regarding how close pros are actually riding instead of the massive amount of subjective “they look like they’re riding way too close” that abounds in the sport at this time. Bravo for IronMan for starting down this path.

Will the camera motos have it too?

First the professional series now race ranger! Got to be exciting news for Joe Skipper for Florida.

If he learns what the respective light colors mean.

If he doesn’t - then he is going to absolutely lose his shit when everybody is “red”.

As to Ironman, big if true. I will believe it when I see it of course!

Felix announced the other day that RR will be used at Roth next year.

Just for pros. Say that because they make is sound like it’s going to be on 2000 age group bikes but it will not be.

Just for pros. Say that because they make is sound like it’s going to be on 2000 age group bikes but it will not be.
They were pretty quick to answer everyones questions on Facebook about who will be using RR on race day. Totally not possible to use it for age groupers in Roth (or anywhere) and that was clear.

They were pretty quick to answer everyones questions on Facebook about who will be using RR on race day. Totally not possible to use it for age groupers in Roth (or anywhere) and that was clear.

That’s why the had so many questions the headline was very misleading, said roth will use race range , not the pros will use race ranger.

If he learns what the respective light colors mean.

If he doesn’t - then he is going to absolutely lose his shit when everybody is “red”.

Good point.

Red = “getting close to the drafting zone”.

I was at US Pro Open in Milwaukee & the men’s pro race had their RR lighting up all the way down the roads they were so close. Can’t tell me as an eye witness they weren’t drafting there. I’m not sure they really gave much of a draft penalty for those as they were signaled in the draft zone and didn’t fall back as I watched them for several blocks. Pretty sure I have some photos too on my phone of some.

Care to post a couple?

I have some. Anyone recognize that guy? He didn’t pass him, but just backed out afterwards.

Screenshot_20231031_112126_Photos.jpg

This was 150m before a turn, but it’s still obvious these guys behind Ben could have passed, would have gotten a penalty if Race Ranger was being used for that purpose.

Screenshot_20231031_112549_Photos.jpg

I’m not certain of the light pattern or color they’re currently using but do know that the unit will “light up” once a following athlete begins to get close to the draft zone and then changes the pattern or color once they’ve entered it. So the initial “light up” isn’t damning of drafting unless you’re aware of the pattern/color that denotes too close.

This was 150m before a turn, but it’s still obvious these guys behind Ben could have passed, would have gotten a penalty if Race Ranger was being used for that purpose.

Definitely too close there. If the cones are set at 20 meters they have no excuse regarding spacing unless they were told beforehand that no calls would be made near turns. I do notice that Ben is up off the bars as if he’s getting ready to brake for the turn.

Definitely too close there. If the cones are set at 20 meters they have no excuse regarding spacing unless they were told beforehand that no calls would be made near turns. I do notice that Ben is up off the bars as if he’s getting ready to brake for the turn.

It’s pretty standard to not enforce drafting in braking zones and at the bottom of hills. It would be a mess. You’d have to guess how much the front rider is going to brake and back away prematurely. Either that or slam the brakes harder than the leader, which would quickly precipitate a pile up in a group of any size.

I’m not certain of the light pattern or color they’re currently using but do know that the unit will “light up” once a following athlete begins to get close to the draft zone and then changes the pattern or color once they’ve entered it. So the initial “light up” isn’t damning of drafting unless you’re aware of the pattern/color that denotes too close.

To be honest, this was the background of my request for photos. I was also alluding to one of my earlier posts re: Skipper’s complaint about red lights. The sequence is: yellow - red - blue, where blue = illegal drafting.